Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

I don't like this segmentation by age. One of the things I used to like about R6 was that you would get something like Martha Reeves and the Vandellas followed by Kraftwerk followed by something new that was good and made you check out what it was followed by Daft Punk followed by something else new. (OK, I made that up but hopefully you get the picture).

That was R6's appeal for me - I don't want to listen to R1 or R2 as the music on the former is too poppy/unknown and the latter is too much old stuff and both have too much chat. I can't stand ads so give commercial stations a wide berth.

R6 doesn't now seem to appeal to people who like to hear a wide variety of music all in one show. The time I listen to it is mainly early evening and while the new music show does play some good stuff, a bit of the familiar alongside it would be good.

It also seems to have A LOT more inane chat than it used to - I don't mean interviews with artists or chat about music (although those can be bad enough :D), I mean unrelated stuff.

It's still my favourite music station by a long way but I'm not sure I like the direction it's going in (or indeed any BBC radio station is going in - e.g. Radio London is 80% utter shite now).

Not so long ago they were going to get rid of Asian Network to save money and now they’re making more channels?
It seemed like not so long ago that they were going to axe 6music and I remember being a bit gutted at the time.

In retrospect I can't help feeling it would have been the best decision to destroy it back then. Fair play to Moy though, she seems to be doing her level best to destroy it now.

George Lamb would be preferable to Stephens or Charles. I mean he'd be honking horns and shit while Cloudbusting his way through the morning but I think I'd prefer that to Craig Charles creeping up to me at the bar and asking if he can buy me a peach schnapps.

Or maybe I'm just getting very old and grumpy. I just want Huey and Ravenscroft on more. They know music. And like Richie Benaud, know when to just let the action speak for itself.

I think Afrodeutche and Huey are the only presenters left who I could gladly listen to around the clock. I love what they play, they don't talk too much and when they do talk they're mostly on-point. They should pack up and form their own station and leave the rest to gush about the 6Music festival or Maida fucking Vale or whatever cliquey shit they're so excited about.

There's probably a few others I could tolerate whose names I can't even think of. But Craig, Giles and Mary-Anne are the biggest turn-offs for me.

Personally I wish the DJs would shut the fuck up and just play music.

Bring back John Peel I say.

Back
Top Bottom