Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

Indeed. Curating is a better word though.
If you like to sound pretentious, yes it is.

If you like to sound pretentious, yes it is.

It’s not pretentious just cos you consider it to be fashionable. It’s a perfect word for what it’s used to describe. I

It’s not pretentious just cos you consider it to be fashionable. It’s a perfect word for what it’s used to describe. I
It's not just my opinion.

Simply picking or putting things together that supposedly go well together is not what curating is fundamentally about.

Benjamin Dreyer did provide an entry in his delightful 2019 book, Dreyer’s English:

This is what “curate” is not so good for: to portray what you’re doing when you’re organizing a playlist of motivating songs for gym use, selecting smoked fishes for a brunch, or arranging displays of blouses, espadrilles, and picturesque thrift-shop books at Anthropologie.
— Benjamin Dreyer, Dreyer’s English, 2019

Answer to the question 'can you curate anything?' is yes. If you're sifting through a collection of things selecting and caring for them, then ordering them in a way intended to afford them maximum appreciation, you're participating in an act of curation. That collection of things can be anything at all. To claim otherwise is snobbery.

That the term is overused and often applied in situations where the care and selectivity are minimal doesn't change the above.

It's not just my opinion.

You’re just scrabbling around to confirm you own prejudices. It’s yours and several other members of the commentariat’s opinion, not fact. Meanwhile, normal people use the word normally and without pretension. We know what it means and care not for fusty gatekeepers who think it’s up to them to decide how people use words

It's a wanky word used by wankers. Unless you work in a museum I guess. Do you actually say it out loud in conversation OU? :D
Yes. I work in a library. But the area I’ve heard it used, and used it, most often is in DJing cos it’s EXACTLY the right word to describe it.
Oh the ironing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom