Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

think this is broadly accurate about how the current schedule doesn't quite work for whatever it is they're trying to do.

the Britpop series definitely feels like they're doing it because they feel like they have to go through the motions and do something to mark the significant number rather than because anyone involved has anything new or insightful to say about it to justify 4 hours of content.

I'd quibble at calling the Blessed Madonna a recent addition though.

Last edited:
Just had the radio on while I was doing the washing up, and thinking "fucking hell, this supposed 'rave forever' section is a right load of non-rave shit". Then I realised...they've reached the 00s.
I completely sympathise. Almost all of their 'Rave Forever' output has me ranting at the radio "This is not fucking rave music!".

Having said that I'm enjoying a lot of that output, it's just not what I'd call 'Rave music'. But then the Small Faces sang about their neighbours not "Having room for ravers". So what do I know?

I didn't bother with much of the 00s section but they did have some good plays in the early 00s. The 80s and 90s was mint though. I'm most definitely in favour of these takeover days where there's no guitar music for a change.

think this is broadly accurate about how the current schedule doesn't quite work for whatever it is they're trying to do.

the Britpop series definitely feels like they're doing it because they feel like they have to go through the motions and do something to mark the significant number rather than because anyone involved has anything new or insightful to say about it to justify 4 hours of content.

I'd quibble at calling the Blessed Madonna a recent addition though.

Thats intereasting...Radio 1 and 2 seem to go through this crisis once a decade as the generational age gaps moves up another decade notch. There's nothing wrong with having an 'indie rock' station (with occassional non indie shows), and it seems thats what 6 listeners actually want - youd think that could still be refreshed to younger listeners without changing the overall format.

I was just wondering last week how long Lamacq had. Wonder did he jump or was he pushed, gently.

Thing is Huw is very much of the mould of Steve so plus ca change etc.
I’d imagine he’d be kind of fine with it prob could do with a change. Certainly doesn’t strike me like the Liz Kershaw type. So annoying when djs hang on when it’s part of the job that things are going to need refreshing now and again.

I'm still not enjoying the new music fix between 7-9. I definitely enjoyed the vibe of Marc Riley's show more so I tend to put Spotify on now instead when in the car at this time.

He talked about it on the show today and it seemed very much a personal decision, wanting to spend more rime with family. I didn't sense any undercurrent or things not said on it at all.

Ok fair enough. I’ve just turned on so missed it. Would have liked to hear that. I like Steve, I reckon he’s a decent bloke. Met him briefly once and he was a friendly chap.

Plus The Blessed Madonna is leaving, making way for Don Letts then Sherelle on a Saturday night.

Ooh. Don Letts on at a reasonable time? Cool.

She never really did it for me. Too much disco, prefer Afro Deutsches harder edge. But she did play some decent music, just not quite to my exact taste. Which is obviously out of order.

Not sure if I’ve mentioned I’m an AD fan before have I? :D

He talked about it on the show today and it seemed very much a personal decision, wanting to spend more rime with family. I didn't sense any undercurrent or things not said on it at all.
quite the opposite to Keaveny's leaving.
definitely sounded like he's leaving on his own terms. and it's what he wants.

as much as I've taken the piss out of Lamacq over the years, it's always been with some affection. this will be the end of an era.
30 years on the radio is a good stint. been part of the background noise of my life for as long as I can remember.

Anyone know what sort of time he made his announcement? I’ve flicked through the first half an hour or so but nothing I picked up on.

Heard it now. Yes mate. You’re absolutely on the money I’d say.

I guess if 6 had wanted him gone they’d have done it along with the rest of the old guard.

Like ripping a plaster off.

Good luck to him.

quite the opposite to Keaveny's leaving.
definitely sounded like he's leaving on his own terms. and it's what he wants.

as much as I've taken the piss out of Lamacq over the years, it's always been with some affection. this will be the end of an era.
30 years on the radio is a good stint. been part of the background noise of my life for as long as I can remember.
It's not until the 9th of Jan that he leaves, so I can see him doing a full fortnight (or even an entire 3 months) of National wear your music T-shirt to work day in the interim.
I agree- it's annoyed affection which I have for him.

I really like him and will miss finishing my working day with him when working at home.

It was always a 'Lamacq is on so I'm on the final furlong' and I like his callouts for stories, the panel scoring new music and he is by far the best interviewer on the station.
We may never hear his "wet" intake of breath again

Back
Top Bottom