Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

I've only recently got into Radio 6, after weaning myself of a few hours of LBC a week which just makes me angry.

I really liked the 80's Rave thing last friday was great with some nice acid house.

Craig Charles in the afternoon is great and I'm discovering loads of music I wouldn't have come across.

I've only recently got into Radio 6, after weaning myself of a few hours of LBC a week which just makes me angry.

I really liked the 80's Rave thing last friday was great with some nice acid house.

Craig Charles in the afternoon is great and I'm discovering loads of music I wouldn't have come across.

Yeah was loving all the acid house on Friday and Huey was playing some dope old school hip hop on Saturday too.

& is it worth the listen? I missed it.
The first hour is fun but not essential as it has an 80s influences theme - great tunes but you’ll have heard them all before. The second hour is wicked, all new tunes. Still listening to that, next up is the third hour with a set from Samurei Breaks which looks well banging

(disproportionately annoyed at how Blessed Madonna’s name is pronounced, mind - don’t care how she or the station pronounce it, but Bless’d is wrong. It’s Bless-ed as in Brian! :mad:)

The first hour is fun but not essential as it has an 80s influences theme - great tunes but you’ll have heard them all before. The second hour is wicked, all new tunes. Still listening to that, next up is the third hour with a set from Samurei Breaks which looks well banging
Will give it a go!

(disproportionately annoyed at how Blessed Madonna’s name is pronounced, mind - don’t care how she or the station pronounce it, but Bless’d is wrong. It’s Bless-ed as in Brian! :mad:)
Reminds me of when tracks by 'The Beloved' used to get introduced on German radio as by the 'Be-loved'.

Presumably as she changed it from Black Madonna Bless’d makes more sense.

They're announcing the Mercury Prize nominees this morning. Ravenscroft just mentioned that OK Computer lost out in 1997 to Roni Size :D And Radiohead have never won it.

Chris Hawkins this morning subtitled “Rave forever 90s”

Is churning out such absolutely anodyne top of the pops, chart dance shite it got turned off

They're announcing the Mercury Prize nominees this morning. Ravenscroft just mentioned that OK Computer lost out in 1997 to Roni Size :D And Radiohead have never won it.
I'm fascinated by his the Mercury Prize has morphed into the 6Music Playlist Justification Award. Whoever they play in the summer usually gets nominated in the autumn.

Incidentally, and I'm sure others know this already, check out who won the award in 1994. They've done a great job in pivoting the contest's reputation as this hip cool event. Not so much in the early years!

I'm fascinated by his the Mercury Prize has morphed into the 6Music Playlist Justification Award. Whoever they play in the summer usually gets nominated in the autumn.

Incidentally, and I'm sure others know this already, check out who won the award in 1994. They've done a great job in pivoting the contest's reputation as this hip cool event. Not so much in the early years!
I think ‘94 was an outlier rather than the rule. Suede and Portishead were the years either side.

it'd be hard not to know. can hardly hear about the Mercury without the 94 embarrassment being mentioned.
fair enough. own it, don't shy away. like if someone finds a photo of you in a global hyper colour t-shirt. mistakes happen in your formative years.

but our favourite afternoon DJ just played the band in question with no hint of remorse and that's fucked up.

TBF the first three tracks of Elegant Slumming is heavy hit after heavy hit. The rest is fairly meh though.

*checks who else was on the '94 list

Blimey they won against 'Music For The Jilted Genration' 'Parklife' 'His n Hers' and 'Give out But Don't Give Up' ?! Albums so immensely awesome that I don't even need to qualify with the band names. I'd have given it to Jilted Generation but it'd have been a very close tie with Give Out But Don't Give Up.

Just had the radio on while I was doing the washing up, and thinking "fucking hell, this supposed 'rave forever' section is a right load of non-rave shit". Then I realised...they've reached the 00s.

Back
Top Bottom