Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

Anyone tried the new DJ feature on Spotify? AI thing that talks between songs.

Yes. I mentioned it in the Spotify thread. I'm not keen on the enthusiastic American 'deejay voice'. Musically the selection was fine, but it's long been able to play random artists adjusted to my musical preferences, so all this seems to do is try and improve it but it lacks any of the actual personality or charm of an actually good, real radio DJ.

Yes. I mentioned it in the Spotify thread. I'm not keen on the enthusiastic American 'deejay voice'. Musically the selection was fine, but it's long been able to play random artists adjusted to my musical preferences, so all this seems to do is try and improve it but it lacks any of the actual personality or charm of a real DJ.
Music selection seems better/more varied than any of the playlists. But, yeah, voice is pretty annoying but has had useful info a few times.

Anyone tried the new DJ feature on Spotify? AI thing that talks between songs.

Tidal has recently added a live feature so you can share your stream or listen in on somebody else's if they are sharing. Like seriously I'm not paying £10 per month to listen to some one else's music taste :rolleyes:

But why? Doesn’t it defeat the whole point of it?

I think it's just their attempt at trying to be all things to all people. Apple Music have Apple Music 1 and Apple Music Hits, Country etc, but they at least are actual radio stations with actual DJs.

Spotify have form for creating surplus to requirement stuff when their real focus should just be their core product. I'd sack them off if there was a better service but I've been on it for years and migrating all my playlists and smart speakers is a hassle and I haven't seen a convincingly better alternative.

Soundcloud is better as it has radio shows on it but also mixes with no patter. I don’t know why people want to hear DJs talk.

Soundcloud is better as it has radio shows on it but also mixes with no patter. I don’t know why people want to hear DJs talk.
Well, it's nice to hear a voice from where you used to live, the UK or Ireland. Which is why am fond of listening to the likes of 6 and RTE Radio One, respectively.

If not in the mood, will stick on a bunch of CDs.

Or YouTube comps if no access to the CD player.

I turned it on briefly for the first time in ages. There was some indescribably shit, colour-by-numbers house drivel playing with an infantile lyric about "I want to be with all my friends at once" so off it goes again. At least I tried.

I thought it's been alright today. Or at least Mary Ann Hobbs was earlier and Elkka's Icons Mix. They're doing Loud and Proud all dayer so expect lots of house and LGBT friendly stuff.

Surely you can accept that for a lot of people it's the total opposite though. Many people don't want an uninterrupted mix of music and it's the voice of a DJ and getting occasional guests, interviews, phone ins, news etc which is what provides the personality of the show and what people tune in for.
No I cannot. It’s so irritating. Ruins the music. Have one thing or the other, not both

I turned it on briefly for the first time in ages. There was some indescribably shit, colour-by-numbers house drivel playing with an infantile lyric about "I want to be with all my friends at once" so off it goes again. At least I tried.
dons anorak: that vocal is a sample from the post-punk New York disco classic Dinosaur L (Arthur Russell) - Go Bang

that editor heard? ive no idea, but that vocal line is pretty famous (because of Go Bang)...
perhaps this?

Think it’s a different song to what you’re thinking of. There’s a track by Chanel Tres out called All My Friends, but it’s nowt to do with Arthur Russell. It’s fairly bland deep house, though much more enjoyable than the indie wank that 6 music plays much of the time

Think it’s a different song to what you’re thinking of. There’s a track by Chanel Tres out called All My Friends, but it’s nowt to do with Arthur Russell. It’s fairly bland deep house, though much more enjoyable than the indie wank that 6 music plays much of the time
They don't really play indie wank most of the time, it used to be a lot worse but it is a mixed bag now.

googled that , you're probalby right - if its that it is pretty crap! that is still a line made famous by Go Bang though

Back
Top Bottom