Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

Interesting moment the other day where Cerys of Catatonia fame introduced Eric of Cantona fame (at 49.50)

True story. A friend of mine once misread the billing for the Melody Maker stage at Reading Festival and thought that 'Catatonia' was actually 'Cantona'. Which I seized upon as a wind up to convince them that 'Catatonia' was actually the side project of Eric Cantona and that he was making an appearance at Reading that year.

Lamacq just pronounced Loch Ness as "Lock Ness" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
That’s how it’s pronounced by most of the English as that sound is not generally found in English.
Like how Paris is pronounced with an s at the end. The English are so lazy, arrogant and entitled that they even change the spellings of some places, such as Munich/Munchen and Brunswick/Braunschweig

That’s how it’s pronounced by most of the English as that sound is not generally found in English.
Like how Paris is pronounced with an s at the end. The English are so lazy, arrogant and entitled that they even change the spellings of some places, such as Munich/Munchen and Brunswick/Braunschweig
I know it is but they can say Bach normally.

That's such a shit comparison though because I've not asked you to say "Loch Nis" and most people in Scotland don't speak gaelic anymore, but the ch sound is maintained regardless. Or I'd be complaining that people pronounce Alba as Scotland.

I sympathise that we say 'Paris' rather than 'Paree'. And Munich rather than Munchen. But where will it end?!? Is it Bangkok or Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit?

I sympathise that we say 'Paris' rather than 'Paree'. And Munich rather than Munchen. But where will it end?!? Is it Bangkok or Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit?
That's OU's stuff, Loch Ness has already been anglicised, just pronounce it right. HTH

I sympathise to a degree. But the Gaelic "Ch" is hardly known in English, and it's a tight amount of time between songs/links, so I can forgive him for using 'lock'.

While we're on this general discussion about radio I'll add a few thoughts.

I was brought up as a : radio kid '. My mum would always have Radio 4 in the kitchen and I'd soon learn the cadence and rhythm of speech radio, radio dramas, panel shows etc.

I'd do the John Peel 'listening with the sound turned down' thing as so many teenagers did, and I soon learned to love the World Service as much as my sister would seek out cassette tapes from Key 103.

To this day I still love radio as a medium. 6Music frustrates and annoys some times but ultimately it does what radio has always done for me: provide companionship in the background of any room I'm in.

Playlists and mix tapes and all that have their purpose. But much like AI-generated art, there's much less personality than I'd like. Even my own playlists have that feeling of being generated rather than crafted.

I'm happy to listen to The Goon Show or Just a Minute or what have you and it's a lot to do with growing up with radio as a dependable friend.

(And throughout this, I'm largely talking BBC radio. Most commercial radio is reductive crap )

Do you ever check NTS?
I’m a total convert now. It slightly lacks the feel of a radio station but the music is soo good. Generally
Yeah NTS is my go to these days as well. Normally have it on while working and if either of the live shows don’t appeal I’ve got tons of shows bookmarked, such as Theo Parrish (some epic long sessions!), Bill Brewster, Athens of the North, Prosumer, Blood & Fire. There’s all Weatherall’s Music’s Not For Everyone shows archived as well. NTS is ace!

Yeah NTS is my go to these days as well. Normally have it on while working and if either of the live shows don’t appeal I’ve got tons of shows bookmarked, such as Theo Parrish (some epic long sessions!), Bill Brewster, Athens of the North, Prosumer, Blood & Fire. There’s all Weatherall’s Music’s Not For Everyone shows archived as well. NTS is ace!
Ollie Chubb’s Circuits is a good show too, as are the NTS In Focus shows

I find that more and more I listen to 6 music 'on demand'. As such it doesn't matter which shifts each DJ(s) do. I understand that's not for everyone though. Still Don Letts FTW!
I like it in real time, even if the Dj's are annoying. If it's me picking the stuff I end up listening to the same songs over and over so radio gets me out of that trap.

Back
Top Bottom