Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

As a fifty something listener, am very appreciative of the wide range of music on board.

Am also sadly aware that targeting younger audiences is a thing.

Like when BBC Radio 1 DJs got the boot in the 90s, or when Status Quo records were no longer deemed suitable for the channel.

Meh. Whatever. As long as the mighty RTE Radio 1 keeps Seascapes on air.

He'd a bit of a wobbler when she won an award.
This entire thread started as a Lauren Laverne hate thread with lots of urban males saying "I would though"* and other creepier stuff. People forget we're all swimming in the sewer if you want to talk about past tweets and posts.

*i'm typing that from memory, it might not have been nearly as bad and I might also be confusing two threads but point is urban past ain't so rosy

Last edited:
This entire thread started as a Lauren Laverne hate thread with lots of urban males saying "I would though"* and other creepier stuff. People forget we're all swimming in the sewer if you want to talk about past tweets and posts.

*i'm typing that from memory, it might not have been nearly as bad and I might also be confusing two threads but point is urban past ain't so rosy
For sure.

A few may lament the good old days and wonder what has happened to urban since but everyone makes mistakes at some stage in their lives and maybe says things they regret.

Iirc, HMs comments were more seen as jealousy/sore loser, rather than downright offensive.

That's a general point about forums; unless you delete everything as you go, the Internet never forgets!

Kernickie used to practice above my local cafe when I was at university

When we were feeling flush/giro day we’d get in there and treat ourselves to beans on toast and cheese

5 hrs it took us to get back from Wales to East Mids today and guess what we listened to for the full 5?
Yep- it was nice to hear the interview with Matt Johnson from The The, but otherwise out of the 50 plus songs, I reckon I liked 2.
No, I wasn't driving, so I am unable to dictate the playlist (although, arguably, that should be down to the passenger(s))

They don't come up at the time, and all the websites that have them running in real time all stop when Giles comes on. I'm not checking back later, I've got stuff to be getting on with!

ETA: Although I'm wondering whether he's started putting them up now you've shared this :)

IIRC GP doesn't have a set list planned before each show like most do (with a few gaps for listener requests). he has a selection he's brought in but wings it with exactly what he picks out from that.
so the programme info on the website always has a bit of a delay for his show.

the schedule changes, I'm open to give it a chance. Riley and Coe are both great, but they're getting on a bit so maybe want to reduce their hours. Ravenscroft and Grant are great so this could be good as long as they can keep up with enough new music to avoid padding the show with filler. depends how new is "new" I guess. But will this include live sessions? It'd be shit to lose those from Riley's current slot. I've always liked that 6 continues the BBC's long history of getting artists in instead of just playing the records.

However the Artist in Residence daily at 9-10 is a load of wank. that is exactly the kind of show that should be on at overnight time as filler, for more people to catch up on iplayer than ever listen live. 9 is still the evening peak when we should have real live presenters not pre-record shows. Hopefully that gets reshuffled.
Also the quality of the artists in residence they've had on the current incarnation of the programme is poor. The Lathams?

They must be doing a good job of appealing to kids because Hobbs has just played something my son has heard of but I haven't, this Ice Spice character. "You seem to be enjoying that mum"

IIRC GP doesn't have a set list planned before each show like most do (with a few gaps for listener requests). he has a selection he's brought in but wings it with exactly what he picks out from that.
so the programme info on the website always has a bit of a delay for his show.

the schedule changes, I'm open to give it a chance. Riley and Coe are both great, but they're getting on a bit so maybe want to reduce their hours. Ravenscroft and Grant are great so this could be good as long as they can keep up with enough new music to avoid padding the show with filler. depends how new is "new" I guess. But will this include live sessions? It'd be shit to lose those from Riley's current slot. I've always liked that 6 continues the BBC's long history of getting artists in instead of just playing the records.

However the Artist in Residence daily at 9-10 is a load of wank. that is exactly the kind of show that should be on at overnight time as filler, for more people to catch up on iplayer than ever listen live. 9 is still the evening peak when we should have real live presenters not pre-record shows. Hopefully that gets reshuffled.
Also the quality of the artists in residence they've had on the current incarnation of the programme is poor. The Lathams?
I hear Jamz has given up her habit of meticulously planning sets? Lol I just don't like Giles though. He keeps doing that thing where he talks over an instrumental like he thinks his voice is literally saxophone as well.

Back
Top Bottom