Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

It'll be down to listenership and playlists and the like, I imagine. At a guess, the kind of people who listen during the day - i.e. just to have some music on at work - are different to those who listen at the weekends. The weekday programming is the price you pay for the weekend (and some of the evening stuff, to be fair).

I'm sure many on here would disagree, but as has been raised a number of times. the make-up of u75 possibly doesn't reflect society at large.

There's also the fact that while many may think 6Music isn't fulfilling its remit with its weekday output, it's still a damn sight more interesting than most other readily available stations.

I wish they'd do away with the double-team thing. radcliffe by himself is irritating but nowhere near as bad as when his partner's with him.

It'll be down to listenership and playlists and the like, I imagine. At a guess, the kind of people who listen during the day - i.e. just to have some music on at work - are different to those who listen at the weekends. The weekday programming is the price you pay for the weekend (and some of the evening stuff, to be fair).

I'm sure many on here would disagree, but as has been raised a number of times. the make-up of u75 possibly doesn't reflect society at large.

There's also the fact that while many may think 6Music isn't fulfilling its remit with its weekday output, it's still a damn sight more interesting than most other readily available stations.

Yep. My favourites (Guy Garvey, Jarvis Cocker) are hardly morning-show material. And breakfast shows - for most listeners - need to be even more fast paced.

It can't all be like the Sunday evening schedule. Well it could be, for about six months, and then it would shut after a collapse in audience figures.

Yep. My favourites (Guy Garvey, Jarvis Cocker) are hardly morning-show material. And breakfast shows - for most listeners - need to be even more fast paced.

Ha! I know exactly what you mean. I listen to R6 here in Thailand, and the shows are perfect for the time of evening/night. I have difficulty imagining listening to Jarvis any earlier in the day. He's perfect for the evening. The same goes for Radcliffe and MacOnie - they come on at 8pm here - again, perfect.

Yappy, happy Lauren is on at the right time; when I'm not really listening (cooking and stuff.)

I'd be interested to see what their figures are like for the Sunday shows, in comparison to the rest of their output. They seem to get the best 'critical' reception, and are always trotted out as examples of "what 6Music does best/should be doing more of", but I wonder if the listening figures reflect that. Genuine curiousity rather than trying to make a point.

I'd be interested to see what their figures are like for the Sunday shows, in comparison to the rest of their output. They seem to get the best 'critical' reception, and are always trotted out as examples of "what 6Music does best/should be doing more of", but I wonder if the listening figures reflect that. Genuine curiousity rather than trying to make a point.

I'm tempted to have Sunday everyday, courtesy of the i-player :)

Why don't those two unfunny twats babbling on right now with their dreadful 'comedy pieces' just shut the fuck up and play some fucking music?

I don't think they even find each other funny.
That's exactly what I think, sometimes the bonhomie sounds so forced I almost expect them to drop the niceness act and have a row, live on air! :D

I don't mind Maconie by himself when he does his Freakzone show, even if some of the music he plays is unlistenable - at least he believes in it. It can just be a bit disconcerting when you're pottering about on Sunday evening with his show on, perhaps thinking about the week ahead and then you wonder why you're feeling a little uncomfortable and you realise it's because for the last ten minutes he's been playing some experimental discordant noise-fest that he's unearthed.

radcliffe and maconie at least seem to know a little about music i spose.

the worst, the gold standard, the shittest of all the 6 music comedy duos is undoubtedly adam & joe. completely unlistenable.

For anyone who's interested (right now, 5pm weekdays), give a listen to KCRW which I listen to in Los Angeles where 'Morning Becomes Eclectic' is about to start. It's a 3 hour show of good music just like 6 Music and crucially has no annoying DJ, just a chilled out presenter playing good tunes. It's a nice change from Steve Lamacq.

http://www.kcrw.com/

It's been great this week with Huey Morgan, but sadly right now we're back to the weekly Apple product placement session.

:facepalm:

I think was Mr Morgan who gave the Lee Hazlewood/Nancy Sinatra classic "Some Velvet Morning" a spin yesterday. Cheers, Huey :cool:

The weekday output of 6 doesn't bother me, mainly because I rarely listen during the day. The evenings are always good, and Sunday is great. However my main gripe is Saturdays. They are dire. Nemone in the mornings (dull), Some total anus who is his own number one fan on at about 10am and then again at 4pm (they may possibly be different people, I can't really tell) - with passable, but ultimately dull Liz Kershaw in the middle.

The weekday output of 6 doesn't bother me, mainly because I rarely listen during the day. The evenings are always good, and Sunday is great. However my main gripe is Saturdays. They are dire. Nemone in the mornings (dull), Some total anus who is his own number one fan on at about 10am and then again at 4pm (they may possibly be different people, I can't really tell) - with passable, but ultimately dull Liz Kershaw in the middle.

liz kershaw is a good case for post-birth abortion imo.

i agree, saturdays are terrible. unlistenable in fact.

liz kershaw is a good case for post-birth abortion imo.

i agree, saturdays are terrible. unlistenable in fact.

Liz is a very nice person but a rather poor DJ. I'd much rather listen to Andy. If you're up late enough, Don Letts saves Sat from being a complete washout. Sundays, though. If only everyday was Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom