Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barbie vs Oppenheimer

Barbie or Oppenheimer?

• Total voters
Saw Barbie earlier. Thought they hit it right out of the park. Lots of very funny lines and I wanted to stand up and cheer after the America Ferrera 'deprogramming' speech.

Can't help but wonder what Mattel thought of it all. (Yes, they probably sold more dolls as a result of the publicity but it's not exactly positive about them )

Eta

And Jeez, men 'impressing' you with their guitar playing, coming out with a load of old bollocks about The Godfather and explaining how to do software stuff. Gerwig's obviously been there, done that, got the t-shirt too. :D

Last edited:
Regent Street Cinema was a great venue for Barbie.
Have your photo taken in a Life-size Barbie Box, free Heart Shaped Shades, Pink Cocktails / Mocktails.

Lots of peeps in pink.
One woman went full on attention to detail and bravely wore this:

View attachment 384272
They had a 7-foot Barbie box at the Ritzy, for people to walk into and get pictured inside of it.

Can't help but wonder what Mattel thought of it all. (Yes, they probably sold more dolls as a result of the publicity but it's not exactly positive about them )

You're aware that Mattel funded and produced it right? With an eye on making a multiverse using their other toys?

You're aware that Mattel funded and produced it right?
'Kreiz clarified that Mattel does not fund its movies. Rather, its currency lies with its IP and "marketing expertise," he said, adding that the company does have a hand in the film's business side."

With an eye on making a multiverse using their other toys?
As I said:
(Yes, they probably sold more dolls as a result of the publicity but it's not exactly positive about them )

What did you think of the film? You've seen it, right?

It comes across as good as you can get from a corporate product.

It does directly criticise Mattel but it also softens that criticism by most portraying the company as a cartoon version of itself in positive and negative ways.

It's hard to describe without getting into spoilers.

In the beginning credits I think it said it was a Mattel movie. Considering that, it is interesting how Mattel was portrayed as basically an evil corporation, but I guess they decided the increased sales were well worth it.

Can't say I got a "punk lesbian s&m fuck me barbie" vibe from it in the slightest, just the opposite. Shippy, you sure you're not thinking of a different movie in your collection?

'Kreiz clarified that Mattel does not fund its movies. Rather, its currency lies with its IP and "marketing expertise," he said, adding that the company does have a hand in the film's business side."

As I said:

What did you think of the film? You've seen it, right?

Yep. I've seen it. It was ok.

And if you believe Mattel had no input into the production and editing of the film, then I guess you'll also (bizarrely) believe that DC has no influence over the Batman movies. I mean it's hardly a secret. Of course they wouldn't let a final edit go out without their say-so.

In the beginning credits I think it said it was a Mattel movie. Considering that, it is interesting how Mattel was portrayed as basically an evil corporation, but I guess they decided the increased sales were well worth it.

Can't say I got a "punk lesbian s&m fuck me barbie" vibe from it in the slightest, just the opposite. Shippy, you sure you're not thinking of a different movie in your collection?
He was quoting friendofdorothy talking about a cabaret act she’d seen.

They were portrayed as corporate and slightly miserable but also ernest and pro feminist in a clueless manner. bad but only in a vauge i hate mondays kinda way.
It's kinda the reverse of damning with faint praise.
Complementing with faint damnation?

the secd bit was from this

One of the most liberating things I ever saw involving Barbie's was a punk lesbian s&m club night called 'fuck me barbie'. The name described the cabaret too. I magine this Barbie film will be very disappointing in comparison.

My collection does have stuff about dolls... just not barbie.

And if you believe Mattel had no input into the production and editing of the film, then I guess you'll also (bizarrely) believe that DC has no influence over the Batman movies. I mean it's hardly a secret. Of course they wouldn't let a final edit go out without their say-so.
Dont know anything about the Batman films though presumably (as with any trademarked entity), the owner (DC?) had to grant permission for its use. Did you think Barbie presented Mattel in a positive light? I didn't.

Does this woke film address the vast amount of plastic waste created by this and other toys*, or the greenhouse gases needed to manufacture and ship them**? Not to be a miserable fucker or anything.

*toys are the most plastic-intensive consumer products in the world, according to a 2014 UN report!

**660g of GHG per Barbie

I saw Oppenheimer yesterday. Great film, I recommend it. It's a little confusing in the first few minutes working out the film's timelines, but is not spoiled by that. Although long it isn't any the worse for this. I can't imagine that it could be any shorter and still tell the tale.

Back
Top Bottom