Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barbie vs Oppenheimer

Barbie or Oppenheimer?

• Total voters
:thumbs:

Those are good things though, surely? Yet here you seem to use it as a criticism (and Ben Shapiro certainly was):

Probably best to stick to words you know the meaning of really:

This might make interesting listening though BBC Sounds - Woke: The Journey of a Word - Available Episodes
Those are good things yes.

No, I did not use that term as a criticism, which I did already point out, so not quite sure why you think that.

Those are good things yes.

No, I did not use that term as a criticism, which I did already point out, so not quite sure why you think that.
Well you did say:

I have to agree with Ben Shapiro (about the wokeness at least), which not something I’m comfortable saying! Woke it may be, but visually it’s pretty amazing.

Woke I don’t know if I have a great definition for. Probably it is a word that has different inferences for people depending on their politics and I don’t mean it as a criticism of the movie, but...

Let's remember what Ben Shapiro said (no idea who he is tbh but he certainly seems to be using 'woke' as a criticism/negative'):

1690194437005.png

Well you did say:

Let's remember what Ben Shapiro said (no idea who he is tbh but he certainly seems to be using 'woke' as a criticism/negative'):

View attachment 384395
He's an unpleasant individual and has done so many U-turns, he doesn't know which way is up. Anti-abortion, thinks homosexuality is a mental illness, believes that Western culture is superior etc etc

Barbie was alright though it's not something that I'd ever watch again. Some bits were a pretty lame, like every scene with Will Ferrell and the whole Kendom thing which was a bit laboured but overall it was a fun watch. It was silly and funny in enough places to sustain interest.

I enjoyed seeing Rob Brydon in it, and Jamie Demetriou from Stath Lets Flats. Kate McKinnon was also very good as 'Weird Barbie.' Visually it was brilliant. Can't fault that. 4/5

Well you did say:

View attachment 384395

Well I thought I was pretty clear that the bit I agreed with was that it could be described as woke, and I’ve since patiently explained why I thought that, what I meant, and that I don’t think a number of the things you seem to want to pin on me.

You should probably find someone else to chat to now if the strength of your argument has come down to “you said the same thing as someone else, and look how nasty the other things that person says are”. I have no interest in discussing it further.

I really enjoyed Barbie. Not what I was expecting. I was expecting essentially a kids film with a few knowing nods to the adults. But it isn’t that at all, it’s far deeper. Plus the film pastiches and the cameos add a whole other level of enjoyment

It’s also great to hear the bleating of delicate men children about it being ‘woke’ . ..

I deffo recommend this.

Oppenheimer later in the week.

Last edited:
Well I thought I was pretty clear that the bit I agreed with was that it could be described as woke, and I’ve since patiently explained why I thought that, what I meant, and that I don’t think a number of the things you seem to want to pin on me.

You should probably find someone else to chat to now if the strength of your argument has come down to “you said the same thing as someone else, and look how nasty the other things that person says are”. I have no interest in discussing it further.
I think a lot of the problem stems from the fact that the word "woke" is in itself a right-wing pejorative term.
Like - people don't use the word unless they specifically have an issue with diversity, equality etc.
It's not a neutral descriptive term (which might be how you were intending to use it, but it doesn't work in that way).

Aye, being 'woke' (especially to shits like Shapiro) just means not being a bigot. Most movies try to be at least vaguely woke within that definition, as they wants all kinds of asses on seats (they can actually do this while being quite bigoted in other ways, of course).

And what else should we expect from a movie about a girls doll? That its all going to be about the joys of motherhood?

Just got back from watching Barbie at the cinema. It was ok but not as funny as I'd hoped. There were some good bits (Alan was funny as was the Ken war at the end) but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone. My two daughters loved it and got a lot more of the jokes due to having Barbies when they were younger.

Will Ferrel was awful in it though. They could have cut 90% of his stuff and no-one would have noticed.

I think a lot of the problem stems from the fact that the word "woke" is in itself a right-wing pejorative term.
Like - people don't use the word unless they specifically have an issue with diversity, equality etc.
It's not a neutral descriptive term (which might be how you were intending to use it, but it doesn't work in that way).
And that is the best explanation I could have of why I was wrong to use it then, and I’m sorry for that.

I do think Barbie was pretty woke, but I don't think that's an insult.

The Kens and Barbies being of all different races isn't just a good thing (and visually it's better too - with such a large cast, a wide variety of physical appearance makes it easier to tell them apart), it is also an accurate representation of the different types of Barbie and Ken dolls out there.

I’ve been cynically manipulated into desiring one of these: View attachment 384452

Yeah. I would be too. Although it is partly because the message behind it actually is a worthwhile one.

It's a very merch-heavy movie, there's no getting around that. I find it kinda interesting that it's that and genuinely has thoughtful points to make about personal choice.

Oppenheimer... hopefully not so many merch opportunities will come out of that one.

And that is the best explanation I could have of why I was wrong to use it then, and I’m sorry for that.

It's OK I don't think anyone here thought you'd taken a hard right turn or anything - just probably misused a word which caused a bit of a misunderstanding :)

Back
Top Bottom