Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

God in supernatural good vs evil stories: rubbish

If memory serves, even God's wife thought he was a wrong'un in Lucifer, so I'm not holding my breath...

Ah but he did put Decker on earth to find Lucifer, so he's already interfered once.

And yes, his wife and Lucifer arent big fans of his

Gods just turned up in the Netflix/Amazon series "Lucifer".

Need to wait for the final series to see what happens.
Mrs Q and I are binge watching that at the moment, we're not quite at the end of Season 3 on Amazon we will be switching to Netflix for S4 about the beginning of next week

Mrs Q and I are binge watching that at the moment, we're not quite at the end of Season 3 on Amazon we will be switching to Netflix for S4 about the beginning of next week

Good innit.

Two things I learned.

1. Lucifer is Miranda (the TV sit/rom coms boyfriend.
2. Me and the The Baroness now greet each other with "Hellooooo" like wot he does.

What a time to be alive.

Piers Anthony’s Incarnations of immortality series has a lot including a whole book each on God and the Devil. Mind you I haven’t read them for 30 odd years but I remember them being quite good.
(Apologies for the thread necromancy. I was searching for something else and this came up and I had to reply.)

Whatever you do, don't go back and read them. On A Pale Horse is a fair novel, with an intriguing idea. But after that... There's a fun game to be had taking a shot every time you think "Piers Anthony is a dirty old man". The downside being that you'll be dead soon enough. The last one is unspeakably vile.

(Apologies for the thread necromancy. I was searching for something else and this came up and I had to reply.)

Whatever you do, don't go back and read them. On A Pale Horse is a fair novel, with an intriguing idea. But after that... There's a fun game to be had taking a shot every time you think "Piers Anthony is a dirty old man". The downside being that you'll be dead soon enough. The last one is unspeakably vile.
This intrigued me enough to look it up, that is... quite a cover it has:
Underavelvetcloak-sm.jpg

This intrigued me enough to look it up, that is... quite a cover it has:
Underavelvetcloak-sm.jpg
Oh, that's a new one. There were only seven back when I read them. And Eternity has some straight up paedophilia in it; I'm not going to risk my sanity to read the new one.

The Seventh Sign from 1988 is a lesser known but interesting late entry in the cycle of horror films in the vein of Rosemary's Baby and The Omen. In it not Satan but a wrathful god is the antagonist, who sends Jesus back to earth to kick off a biblical apocalypse and put an end to a humanity, mired in wars and atrocities. This god doesn't stand just by as bad things happen, he is actively bent on destruction. The film is slightly hampered by a budget which can't whip up a convincing apocalypse but it's an original take on the religious horror film, with Demi Moore before she became a star as humanity's last chance, giving a surprisingly touching performance. Never got much attention, but I think its underrated.

Spoiler for Supernatural

I'm halfway through the final season of Supernatural, which has a good take on it: God exists and is almost all-powerful, but he's a creepy, needy, insecure bellend who has been deliberately tormenting the protagonists with all kinds of horrific enemies throughout previous seasons because he finds them fascinating and likes to see how they overcome these obstacles. Another five episodes and I'll see if the series finale concludes with the protagonists killing God.[/SPOILER]

Spoiler for Supernatural

I'm halfway through the final season of Supernatural, which has a good take on it: God exists and is almost all-powerful, but he's a creepy, needy, insecure bellend who has been deliberately tormenting the protagonists with all kinds of horrific enemies throughout previous seasons because he finds them fascinating and likes to see how they overcome these obstacles. Another five episodes and I'll see if the series finale concludes with the protagonists killing God.[/SPOILER]
It’s the most realistic scenario that God would be just like that if it actually existed, tbh…

The Seventh Sign from 1988 is a lesser known but interesting late entry in the cycle of horror films in the vein of Rosemary's Baby and The Omen. In it not Satan but a wrathful god is the antagonist, who sends Jesus back to earth to kick off a biblical apocalypse and put an end to a humanity, mired in wars and atrocities. This god doesn't stand just by as bad things happen, he is actively bent on destruction. The film is slightly hampered by a budget which can't whip up a convincing apocalypse but it's an original take on the religious horror film, with Demi Moore before she became a star as humanity's last chance, giving a surprisingly touching performance. Never got much attention, but I think its underrated.
15% on Rotten Tomatoes is impressively underrated - will give it a try though, sounds good.

I wonder if it's worth having a 'critically panned/ignored films that are actually great' thread or something? There's normally no chance I'd consider something with such a low score on Rotten Tomatoes, but I know there's plenty of films with a poor score that's totally wrong (see Legally Blonde II, which has a score of 37%) - likewise there's plenty with good scores that turn out to be terrible...

15% on Rotten Tomatoes is impressively underrated - will give it a try though, sounds good.
This may be one of these films which only I like. I've shown it to friends who also are horror fans who also liked it (unless they were being polite.....or drunk!), It seems to be more popular on imdb where 5.9 is not bad for a horror film.

Last edited:
It’s deeply unfashionable for film makers, who are generally liberal lefties, to make films in which an actual God exists and does stuff to save people. There‘s probably a whole bunch of “Christian films” out there somewhere but they’re probably low-budget and mostly boring.

This may be one of these films which only I like. I've shown it to friends who also are horror fans who also liked it (unless there were being polite.....or drunk), It seems to be more popular on imdb where 5.9 is not bad for a horror film.
I saw it at the local cinema when first released and watched it again on DVD over the years. I enjoyed it and I thought the casting of Jurgen Prochnow was believable.

I'm reminded of the joke . A man is drowning, so he prays to god. Along comes a boat, but this man is devout and turns it away 'no no, god will save me'. A little later, a helicopter circles but again the devout man waves it away. 'God will save me'. so he drowns and goes to heaven and says 'god, you bastard, I prayed and you didn't save me' 'fuck off'' replies god 'I sent a boat and a helicopter, what more did you want?'
Kevin Smith's Dogma was reasonably entertaining. Alanis Morrisette as God and marvelous Alan Rickman as a fallen angel, iirc...
He was Metatron, the voice of god who sounds like a transformer

It’s deeply unfashionable for film makers, who are generally liberal lefties, to make films in which an actual God exists and does stuff to save people. There‘s probably a whole bunch of “Christian films” out there somewhere but they’re probably low-budget and mostly boring.
There still are many exorcism films and tv series where the existence of satan or demons implies the existence of god, who usually ends up winning. There is no proof that these are made by conservatives, they are just the conventions of a horror sub-genre.

There is a genre of propagandistic evangelical films made by and for fundamentalist christians, but I don't think they often get a general theatrical release outside the Bible Belt.

This may be one of these films which only I like. I've shown it to friends who also are horror fans who also liked it (unless they were being polite.....or drunk!), It seems to be more popular on imdb where 5.9 is not bad for a horror film.
Nah, I thought Seventh Sign was decent. We actually watched it at school in RE, if you can believe it!

Nah, I thought Seventh Sign was decent. We actually watched it at school in RE, if you can believe it!
It leans more into Christian and Jewish mythology than most of these type of films, so I could see it as a starting point for a discussion about theology. It also isn't violent and is more melancholy and suspenseful than outright scary. Must say, I didn't remember how this was reviewed but I thought it was a well made and well acted film and it was interesting for having god rather than satan be the source of horror.

Spoiler for Supernatural

From what I remember of the finale, Joe Biden wins the election. (Just checked and it was actually the antepenultimate ((just looked that word up to see if it exists)) episode that aired that night, not the final one, but that was the one everyone went mad about. I've still never actually watched any of it myself.)

Anyway, the stuff about the new Sandman adaptation reminds me that Neil Gaiman quite likes doing stuff with gods in, although I can't remember the Christian god making much of an appearance in his stuff - Good Omens was definitely in quite a Christian-shaped framework, iirc Sandman and American Gods are both a bit more polytheistic (well, the latter definitely is, there's a clue in the title), so Christian God would just be one among many, but can't remember if CG specifically turns up in either of them?

Talking of religious horror, does anybody here watch the tv show Evil ? It has just finished its second season in the US and its a horror show by the team behind The Good Wife/Fight. It's about a psychologist, a priest in training and a techie, employed by the catholic church to investigate cases of demonic possession and other religiously themed supernatural events. Its good fun and doesn't take itself too seriously, reminding me of the more humorous X-Files episodes, while still playing its horror elements straight. It would appeal to fans of that show, Supernatural and Fringe but it has much of the sensibility of The Good Wife. It combines an overarching plotline with a "demon of the week" procedural and like The Good Wife it features a smart but morally compromised heroine, an atheist who took to job to pay off her student loan.

E207978D-FF77-4E77-9729-9E4FF7E3A6D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom