Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barbie vs Oppenheimer

Barbie or Oppenheimer?

• Total voters
It's quite a transformation

73195015-12297167-Robbie_said_Clapham_has_always_felt_unassuming_in_the_sense_you_-m-47_1689281467011.jpg

Opernheimer. Bloody hell was RDJ good as Strauss. Even when in scenes with Cillian Murphy, it was RDJ who stole it. And don't get me wrong, Cillian Murphy was an excellent Oppenheimer, so flawed, so bloody full of himself until the disillusionment sets in.
3hrs and a slow burn initially but worth it imo.

I expect some patriarchy bashing. Hopefully it's not quite so misandry laden as The Mail is making out and more tongue in cheek.

It's actually pretty light on patriarchy bashing.

It bashes yes but actually the bashes against barbie were much more sharp.
The patriarchy stuff is mostly a comic take on masculinity. The deepest cuts were probably the board room scene or the job interview.

Most of the stupid man stuff is more actually a question on the nature of being a Ken.

Opernheimer. Bloody hell was RDJ good as Strauss. Even when in scenes with Cillian Murphy, it was RDJ who stole it. And don't get me wrong, Cillian Murphy was an excellent Oppenheimer, so flawed, so bloody full of himself until the disillusionment sets in.

Roughly when is the bit with bomb going off? In case I need to sneak out for a piss which I absolutely will in a three hour movie.

Oppenheimer first for serious subject matter, finish with frivolous visual delight at Barbie. That’s my plan. I mean, you don’t go to B&Q after you’ve been to the Harrods sale, do you? You go to B&Q first, and get the serious stuff you actually need, then you have your fun.

There's an app specializing in telling people when they can go for a wee during movies.

I can't find oppenheimer yet but someone tell me if they do.

Art imitating life, as I believe radiation sickness is the same :(

I very very rarely see new films in the cinema nowadays, sure the last time I went was pre-lockdown, and don't think I'll bother breaking that for either of these two, but the Barbie film does sound like it'll probably be fun.
Having said all that:
1689962891591.png

I'm still a bit gutted to read the other day that she used to frequent the same shit nightclub in Clapham (infernos) as me in her Aussie flatsharing days and she never tried to pull me. She must have been too pissed to see the magnificence just a few metres away.
It would have been like that episode of Peep Show with Mark and the Aussie flatmate.

I wonder how serious that is meant to be taken.

Given his performance in the movie it may have been tongue in cheek.

Or not. People be having hot takes.
Apparently it's from this video:

Not watched it, but apparently the relevant bit is:
I didn’t really have a relationship with Barbie in the past, you know? I don’t know about you, but I grew up in a society where traditional gender norms were pretty heavily enforced and were pretty prevalent. [We] were taught from a very young age, ‘Boys don’t play with that,’ and, ‘Boys don’t wear pink.’ Colors became gendered; toys became gendered — all of these rules were imposed on us. And so, Barbie was not my toy. That’s, like, on the other team.

I’m so glad this movie exists, because I really think it just puts that final nail in the coffin of this very heteronormative idea of what gender is and what is or is not gendered. How can you make a color gendered, you know? Over the course of this movie, I’ve seen, been around, worn, and played with more pink than I ever thought possible. And it was so great — it’s so great to be free to express yourself in all of the ways that you feel like you want to. Not to feel like, because something is attributed to a certain gender or a certain idea, you can’t also do that. That’s, I think, what’s really struck me about being a part of this movie. That’s what’s involved in my understanding of Barbie and what it is, and what I hope that audiences will get from it when they watch the movie.

Apparently it's from this video:

Not watched it, but apparently the relevant bit is:
I didn’t really have a relationship with Barbie in the past, you know? I don’t know about you, but I grew up in a society where traditional gender norms were pretty heavily enforced and were pretty prevalent. [We] were taught from a very young age, ‘Boys don’t play with that,’ and, ‘Boys don’t wear pink.’ Colors became gendered; toys became gendered — all of these rules were imposed on us. And so, Barbie was not my toy. That’s, like, on the other team.

I’m so glad this movie exists, because I really think it just puts that final nail in the coffin of this very heteronormative idea of what gender is and what is or is not gendered. How can you make a color gendered, you know? Over the course of this movie, I’ve seen, been around, worn, and played with more pink than I ever thought possible. And it was so great — it’s so great to be free to express yourself in all of the ways that you feel like you want to. Not to feel like, because something is attributed to a certain gender or a certain idea, you can’t also do that. That’s, I think, what’s really struck me about being a part of this movie. That’s what’s involved in my understanding of Barbie and what it is, and what I hope that audiences will get from it when they watch the movie.

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg

While I do think there is certainly a reading of the movie that supports that I think that feels a bit of 'not what they were going for' answer.

Just got back from Barbie. Really enjoyable and funny. The atmosphere at the cinema (an independent) was fantastic. There was a huge ‘Street Fighter II”-style screen in the foyer with a Barbie vs Oppenheimer fight sequence playing out, a big glittery Barbie box for photos and, of course, loads of cinema-goers decked out in pink. I searched my wardrobe for anything I could wear but sadly the closest thing I had - a plum coloured t-shirt - was in the wash :(

Seeing Oppenheimer next week.

Last edited:
In the past, the prospect of two studios releasing eagerly-awaited major blockbusters on the same day would have been unthinkable. It is both amazing and refreshing that this event was not just allowed to go ahead in the first place by the two sets of studio executives concerned, but that the buzz has become such that rather than eroding each other’s opening gate receipts, the two films might well augment each other’s opening weekend sales :)

Just got back from Barbie. Really enjoyable and funny. The atmosphere at the cinema (an independent) was fantastic. There was a huge ‘Street Fighter II”-style screen in the foyer with a Barbie vs Oppenheimer fight sequence playing out, a big glittery Barbie box for photos and, of course, loads of cinema-goers decked out in pink. I searched my wardrobe for anything I could wear but sadly the closest thing I had - a plum coloured t-shirt - was in the wash :(

Seeing Oppenheimer next week.
Not my idea but I'll be wearing this Terrycloth top to Barbie today.

It's pinker than the photo shows.

d7984a2f-df02-4171-9866-96ee95833a23.jpeg

Attachments

• d7984a2f-df02-4171-9866-96ee95833a23.jpeg
    d7984a2f-df02-4171-9866-96ee95833a23.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 5
Well we went to see Ruby Gilman Temnage Kraken instead. I suggested Barbie but the 12A put the missus off which is quite high for a toy advert. Batman does ok on higher though.

We went to my GF's local multiscreen Cineworld, which is usually pretty much empty, (most of the time it's us and a couple of other people, with no queue for the food), but it was packed. The food queues were snaking down the stairs! Both films (Barbie and Oppenheimer, that is) are on every hour, but are sold out all weekend and have been for a few days.

Lots of people (including us) were dressed up. It was a fantastic atmosphere, felt like a proper event. And the film lived up to expectations, a combination of politics and philosophy with song and dance routines and fantastic bright costumes. And very funny.

friendofdorothy - I think you'd be surprised by it and end up liking it. Or if you don't like it it won't be for ethical reasons

friendofdorothy - I think you'd be surprised by it and end up liking it. Or if you don't like it it won't be for ethical reasons
I'd be hard pressed to say it was better than 'punk lesbian s&m fuck me barbie' but I also found little to complain about in terms of politics. If you add the caveat 'for a Hollywood film' I would say it's actually pretty good ethically.

Imma go see Barbie tomorrow. It looks fun 🤷‍♀️

I read the Oppenheimer book some years ago and don't really want to watch it given the Nolan treatment. But I may change my mind.

Back
Top Bottom