Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barbie vs Oppenheimer

Barbie or Oppenheimer?

• Total voters
I’m happy doing both for those certain films that should really be watched at least once on a proper big screen to get the maximum enjoyment out of it. I’m not going to miss the spectacle of Oppenheimer or other such visual feasts on a proper massive screen with ear-busting surround sound simply because I will need to go to the loo at least once due to their running time.

Go during a lull, miss 3-4 minutes tops, and simply catch up with the unseen footage when you watch it the second time at home, as you’ll invariably will if you liked it.
I do get that.

Access to a cinema showing the stuff I want to see isn’t quite as straightforward out in the provinces.

Barbie? Ffs! The horror of all that pink sexist capitalist plastic crap! 🤬 encouraging body dysmorphophobia and wasteful fashion consumerism.

One of the most liberating things I ever saw involving Barbie's was a punk lesbian s&m club night called 'fuck me barbie'. The name described the cabaret too. I magine this Barbie film will be very disappointing in comparison.

Because I suspect it will be funny, and hope it will be thought provoking. Plus I ain’t a po faced snob…
I don’t think you need to be a ‘po faced snob’ to have an understanding of the problematic product that is ‘Barbie’.
Maybe the film is ironic. The septics don’t do irony well though generally.

Barbie? Ffs! The horror of all that pink sexist capitalist plastic crap! 🤬 encouraging body dysmorphophobia and wasteful fashion consumerism.

One of the most liberating things I ever saw involving Barbie's was a punk lesbian s&m club night called 'fuck me barbie'. The name described the cabaret too. I magine this Barbie film will be very disappointing in comparison.
Imagine again. People are making all sorts of assumptions.

I don’t think you need to be a ‘po faced snob’ to have an understanding of the problematic product that is ‘Barbie’.
Speculating from a position of ignorance again

It's Greta Gerwih, Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling - that's enough to make me want to go. Plus some of these sorts of stories can be fantastic if they're told in a more self-aware way but without being overly cynical - Enchanted comes to mind.

I'd prefer to do Oppenheimer then Barbie, to have something to cheer me up after the end of the world - I think it'd made a thought-provoking and mood-looping double-bill - but due to work etc we'll be doing Barbie first, then Oppenheimer over the weekend. We're all planning on wearing Barbie pink for that movie; no costume decisions made for Oppenheimer yet.

According to the beeb this is the Mail's take on it.

However, the Daily Mail's Sarah Vine was less keen on the representation of men. She wrote: "It's a deeply anti-man movie, an extension of all that TikTok feminism that paints any form of masculinity - other than the most anodyne - as toxic and predatory...
"Every male character is either an idiot, a bigot or a sad, rather pathetic loser. If the roles were reversed, and a male director made a film about how all women were hysterical, neurotic, gold-digging witches, it would be denounced - quite rightly - as deeply offensive and sexist."
She concluded: "It's uneven, disjointed, the plot makes no real sense - and the dead hand of corporate America weighs heavily upon it."

I'll be seeing it Saturday.
I expect some patriarchy bashing. Hopefully it's not quite so misandry laden as The Mail is making out and more tongue in cheek.

You are letting your anti American bigotry show. If you say they don’t do Irony then you’ve obviously never seen the Simpsons or MASH or read Catch 22 or 100 other things.

In my experience t he only people who say the Americans don’t do irony well are either culturally illiterate, thick as pig shit or have no sense humour themselves. Of a combination thereof obvs.

I’ll let others decide…

You are letting your anti American bigotry show. If you say they don’t do Irony then you’ve obviously never seen the Simpsons or MASH or read Catch 22 or 100 other things.

In my experience t he only people who say the Americans don’t do irony well are either culturally illiterate, thick as pig shit or have no sense humour themselves. Of a combination thereof obvs.

I’ll let others decide…
From history, why would I like Barbie?
The situation might have changed but why would I be exposed to that, except from on here?
Bigotry lol.

Check out Dr Strangelove, Buffalo Soldiers, The Player, Barton Fink, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, Atlanta ... for starters. Might change your mind.

Got tickets to the imax for Oppenheimer. There are many reasons for going: it's actually shot for imax, I love Florence Pugh, Cillian Murphy's face, my interest in history and science, Christopher Nolan....

But 3 hours? By christ it takes some arrogance to make a film that long so it had better be able to sustain itself and I'd better be able to hear what the goddam people are saying!!

I'll probably wait for streaming for Barbie but am definitely going to watch it.

What's funny is that Mattel clearly imagine approving a cheezy woke movie which slightly ribs their product, somehow makes up for decades of both promoting and exploiting harmful and unrealistic 'beauty standards' to children, primarily girls. What it actually looks like is revelling in and profiting from that dark reputation, while glibly excusing the fact that it isn't going to change. But I haven't seen it :thumbs:

Oppenheimer, Cillian Murphy's eyes, Christopher Nolan's ego, ugh whatever. One day at home with a big pile of weed maybe.

It's better I don't see Barbie, because the colleague I had a crush on actually did look like Margot Robbie.

I'm still a bit gutted to read the other day that she used to frequent the same shit nightclub in Clapham (infernos) as me in her Aussie flatsharing days and she never tried to pull me. She must have been too pissed to see the magnificence just a few metres away.

Back
Top Bottom