Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barbie vs Oppenheimer

Barbie or Oppenheimer?

• Total voters
Barbie is literally sexually harassed and assaulted the first time she leaves Barbieland and goes into the real world. It's almost like this movie was made by a woman :D

The point is there are plenty of things that happen to women in the real world - sexual harassment, their bodies being policed, being held accountable for men's behaviour etc etc - which you might want to shield a 5, 6, 7 year old from while they don't need to know about it.

7 year olds are pretty smart though, I’m wondering how different I might have reacted to the plasterer doing my bedroom who asked a 13-year-old me if I’d ‘started wanking yet’ if I’d have been previously worded-up about the nasty cunts that populate our world.

You can burden a child with too much, too soon - this can lead to all sorts of issues - surely you are aware of that Joe Chi Min ? If not, perhaps you should become aware of it so that you don't heavily burden your child(ren) when/if you have any. The way you are talking right now, it feels like maybe you don't have any children?

And yeah, the mansplaining on how to educate girls by what seems to be a male poster is absolutely hilarious :D Are you trolling?

Girls find out soon enough what the world is really like. Let 6 and 7 year olds be innocent of it.
We wonder why so many teenagers (usually the more sensitive, thoughtful ones) are so depressed and anxious... They are realising what a shit show the world is. Not just for girls either. :(. Why bring that process to fruition any sooner than necessary???

Last edited:
7 year olds are pretty smart though, I’m wondering how different I might have reacted to the plasterer doing my bedroom who asked a 13-year-old me if I’d ‘started wanking yet’ if I’d have been previously worded-up about the nasty cunts that populate our world.
This is why campaigns like this exist and what you are talking about ^^ is a different issue from America's speech in Barbie.

"It is literally impossible to be a woman.
You are very beautiful and very smart... and it breaks my soul that you think you're not good enough, like we're always supposed to be extraordinary, but somehow we're always doing it wrong.
We have to be skinny, but not too much and you must not say you want to be skinny. You must say you want a healthy weight, but also… YES you have to be skinny.
You must have money, but you can’t ask for money because that would be rude.
You gotta be a boss, but you can't be tough. You must lead, but you cannot crush other people’s ideas.
You’re supposed to love being a mom, but you don’t talk about your kids all the time.
You have to be a professional, but also always take care of everyone else.
You are responsible for men’s misbehavior, WHICH IS CRAZY, but if you notice that, you’re accused of being a whine.
You're expected to keep yourself pretty for men, but not so pretty you 'try them too much' or threaten other women… because you're supposed to be part of the sorority.
You must always stand out and always be very grateful… but never forget the system is fixed, so find how to acknowledge it but remember to be grateful.
You must never grow old, never be rude, never show off, never be selfish, never stumble, never fail or show fear and, of course, you must never be sassy.
It's very hard, it's too contradictory and nobody gives you a medal or says thank you. And it turns out, in fact, that not only are you doing everything WRONG, but also, everything that happens is YOUR FAULT.
I'm tired of seeing myself and every woman doing the impossible for others to love us."
- America Ferrera as Gloria

You can burden a child with too much, too soon - this can lead to all sorts of issues - surely you are aware of that Joe Chi Min ? If not, perhaps you should become aware of it so that you don't heavily burden your child(ren) when/if you have any. The way you are talking right now, it feels like maybe you don't have any children?

And yeah, the mansplaining on how to educate girls by what seems to be a male poster is absolutely hilarious :D Are you trolling?

No I’m not trolling, and neither am I mansplaining. I’ve presented a question to you, as a parent.

I do understand why you have been defensive, and @A380’s interjection didn’t help, but I was asking about something I was genuinely interested in hearing an argument for.

I think it’s a bit disingenuous to label what’s happened here as ‘mansplaining’.

No I’m not trolling, and neither am I mansplaining. I’ve presented a question to you, as a parent.

I do understand why you have been defensive, and @A380’s interjection didn’t help, but I was asking about something I was genuinely interested in hearing an argument for.

I think it’s a bit disingenuous to label what’s happened here as ‘mansplaining’.
Calling girasol's opinions ludicrous and a joke was just a very genuine attempt to understand, I'm sure...

I haven't seem Oppenheimer yet, but knowing Nolan, I predict

the opening scene of the movie will be the Oppenheimer security hearing of 1954. And the film will flick between this, his struggle with cancer in his final years, his years working at the Manhattan Project, and the years building up to that in a complex non-linear way.

(please include a spoiler in any response to this for people who've seen the movie, I will not read it until after I've watched it)

Just to note, my prediction was 3/4 correct!

Sadly I was having conversations with my eldest when she was 7 about a dynamic of early gendered (if not “sexual”) harassment in her class. :( Now, being a sensitive 9 year old, I was a bit concerned at what she made of that last speech so I made sure there was some space for her to talk about it. She did seem a little shocked but it was just different examples of a lot of stuff she was picking up anyway. Sadly some of the themes (particularly appearance based) are things that junior school aged girls are well aware of and on the flip side, it’s not a bad early lesson to see a woman get furious at that and say no more.

Girls aren’t shielded from these things. Girls are seeped in these expectations from a really early age. I’m more concerned with the media that absorbs the expectations and feeds them back unchallenged.

Having said that, if it had been a bit more obvious at the beginning of the advertising campaign that it was deliberately not aimed at younger children then it might have been easier to manage expectations and wait until TV release (and be able to see it first).

Sadly I was having conversations with my eldest when she was 7 about a dynamic of early gendered (if not “sexual”) harassment in her class. :( Now, being a sensitive 9 year old, I was a bit concerned at what she made of that last speech so I made sure there was some space for her to talk about it. She did seem a little shocked but it was just different examples of a lot of stuff she was picking up anyway. Sadly some of the themes (particularly appearance based) are things that junior school aged girls are well aware of and on the flip side, it’s not a bad early lesson to see a woman get furious at that and say no more.

Girls aren’t shielded from these things. Girls are seeped in these expectations from a really early age. I’m more concerned with the media that absorbs the expectations and feeds them back unchallenged.
Don't fancy going into details but we had issues with a boy in fucking reception.

Saw Barbie today with my 13 yo girl and we both loved it. Cried at regular intervals, but I am post festival sensitive, a crier anyway, and living the real world mum-daughter stage so it all got me right in the feels. Some real lol moments, some hollow lol moments, and some ouch very seen moments. I probably couldn't be more target audience tbh :D

Oppenheimer is just too long for my pelvic floor, I'll watch it at home.

Saw Mission Impossible in 4dx which was a hoot!

I saw Barbie with my grown up daughter in a showing organised by a Trans charity Not a Phase

It was a relaxed showing with loads of big groups of friends watching together so there was a lot of talk back, shouting out and loud laughter which was fun. Nearly everyone was dressed up
The last line hit home for the audience as did Allan's character (wanted to see more about him)

I enjoyed it to an extent. My daughter and I were in the cinema where we'd watched an army of generic '90s and 00's kids films and romcoms and we agreed this would have been better

others have noted the clever one liners. Loved the deprogramming lines about the godfather and the Ken dance off
Felt a bit called out by depressed barbie rewatching pride and prejudice on repeat

The trailer about Trans joy was the real tearjerker so I might have used up my emotions by then 'This is Not A Phase' Campaign | Not A Phase

Last edited:
Saw Oppenheimer earlier. It's well made and all that (with a v good cast) but it felt pretty standard biopic tbh. Could've lost a good 20 minutes and Emily Blunt and Florence Pugh were underused.

The 'property is theft' thing was pretty :rolleyes:, especially given it's used to demonstrate how smart Oppenheimer (Nolan?) is. Also iirc people were going on about the explicit sex scenes? Maybe I got that wrong cos that was all pretty underwhelming I thought.

(I did enjoy the 'spot the famous physicist' thing mind.)

Anyway, in terms of inventiveness and originality, Barbie wins hands down IMO.

if one caused pause for thought about nuclear weapons and the other gave pause for thought about producing toys that give young girls impossible idealism about their bodies then the jury is still out I think.

Back
Top Bottom