Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barbie vs Oppenheimer

Barbie or Oppenheimer?

• Total voters
Not much. Also can you even really spoil Oppenheimer?

I was talking about the history of it with OH before we went to see it and he actually said "spoiler!" at me 🤣

He managed to stay awake for the entire 3 hours plus trailers, which impressed me - I wasn't sure he'd like it and was quite prepared to go on my own (but he insisted and spent a small fortune on fucking cocktails in the cinema bar while I was in the loo), I think the fact he took all his prescription meds right beforehand helped to keep him awake for the duration :D

Saw Barbie this afternoon, very few blokes there tbh , and I reckon I was the only one over 50 🤣 lots of dressing up (I didn’t). I did enjoy it tbf. I'll wait for Oppenheimer to stream.

Everyone knows the cinema industry has been suffering since Covid, and proper exciting releases so far on the thin side since the end of the lockdowns, so after reading an article about new major releases in the last month or so, it was quite striking to realise that we’ve had not just these two films out on the same day, but also Indiana Jones 5 and the second last ever Mission Impossible released just beforehand.

I mean, next to fuck all big budget worthwhile films for two years, and somehow two of the most iconic film franchises of the last few decades decide to premiere their final/ semifinal offerings in the same month as an already-scheduled eyebrow-raising clash of two other eagerly awaited films were due to come out?

Why in the name of fuck was Mission Impossible not released either a good two months beforehand or a month after Barbenheimer? Talk about eclipsing yourself for no good reason.

My kid went to watch it with his mother. I asked him what he learnt from it and seemed confused by the question. So it isn’t really a film aimed at the age group who would actually play with Barbie I don’t think. He did sit through the entire film though which is a plus. The same didn’t happen with Indiana Jones.

My kid went to watch it with his mother. I asked him what he learnt from it and seemed confused by the question. So it isn’t really a film aimed at the age group who would actually play with Barbie I don’t think. He did sit through the entire film though which is a plus. The same didn’t happen with Indiana Jones.
I'm really confused by the idea that people think it's a kids film

Unless they literally just saw the word Barbie and didn't read a single review or watch a trailer or read any news of adults dressing up to see the film or realise it's directed by Greta Gerwig

Unless they literally just saw the word Barbie and didn't read a single review or watch a trailer or read any news of adults dressing up to see the film or realise it's directed by Greta Gerwig
And it's a 12A.

So it isn’t really a film aimed at the age group who would actually play with Barbie I don’t think.
Well no, it's not.

It's the Urban way.

Not much. Also can you even really spoil Oppenheimer?
You can, actually, if like me you don't know much about his post-war history.
From what I can tell the actual use of the bomb is basically edited out of the film ..a bizarre choice at best ss surely that IS the story.
Er, no - the film is called Oppenheimer, not The Bomb. It's about a flawed man and his moral contortions and the people around him and how they react to his behaviour.

Definitely not a kid's film

Excellent well rounded review of the film from someone who has spent his life researching and publishing on the topic

Transcription if you'd rather read the interview

I find making an iMax entertainment out of this topic bizarre, unless you're going to do the history and the innocent dead justice and grapple with the core big issues, which it seems clear to me hasn't happened, through glaring omissions, particularly the actual dropping of the bombs on hundreds of thousands of civilians and oppenheimers life long defence of those murders.

It's an adaptation of a biography, which doesn't deal with those issues, rightly or wrongly.

Castigating a film for being consistent with the book it's based on is fucking weird.

And also banging on about this, having neither watched the film or read the book, is bizarre.

It's an adaptation of a biography, which doesn't deal with those issues, rightly or wrongly.

Castigating a film for being consistent with the book it's based on is fucking weird.

And also banging on about this, having neither watched the film or read the book, is bizarre.

‘There’s a new a film about about Samuel Pepys and it’s completely missed out his reforms to the administration of the Royal Navy, apparently, I’ve no intention of seeing it or reading the books it’s based on…’

Tbf I read the reviews and gave it careful consideration before taking my 7 and 9 year old - we’re quite open with them and I told them to ask questions afterwards if they needed to. I’m glad the 7 year old wasn’t younger as it wouldn’t have held her attention a year ago but they definitely enjoyed it on a different level to the grown ups. The 9 year old enjoyed the feminist aspect if not getting all of it, including the speech. The innuendo went over their heads and they loved the sillier aspects.

Which is just as well recently because prior to the reviews, the full on advertising campaign was really not clear about it being aimed at an older audience and there would have been absolute scenes if I had gone without them. I can see why a lot of families wouldn’t have twigged in advance that a film based on a childhood toy wasn’t actually for children.

And it's a 12A.
Grease is a PG. I know which of the two I felt more comfortable with them watching.

Excellent well rounded review of the film from someone who has spent his life researching and publishing on the topic

Transcription if you'd rather read the interview

I find making an iMax entertainment out of this topic bizarre, unless you're going to do the history and the innocent dead justice and grapple with the core big issues, which it seems clear to me hasn't happened, through glaring omissions, particularly the actual dropping of the bombs on hundreds of thousands of civilians and oppenheimers life long defence of those murders.

Look, a thread on the bombings would probably be quite interesting. And you’ve obviously been rehearsing your arguments in your head for a week or so.

Why don’t you start one?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom