Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barbie vs Oppenheimer

Barbie or Oppenheimer?

• Total voters

i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

Barbie was a fun film.
Yays
Moves along at a cracking pace, fantastic production design, witty script, good physical comedy, even the songs are entertaining.
The closing line is indeed hilarious.
Mehs
The message is rather lukewarm; the daughter character starts off full of anticapitalist vigour but is cheering Barbie on by the end.
The core conceit of Barbie being created as a weapon of feminism then discovering the real world is a patriarchy is clever and intriguing but it doesn't really resolve (and how could it, with Mattel in control).
The bit near the end where you're supposed to have Feelings had me rolling my eyes. The people in the row in front of me were audibly weeping :confused:.
Nays
Will Ferrell is intolerable.

My daughters (7 and 9) enjoyed it although most of the themes and some of the jokes went straight over their heads.

I cried and I was relieved to hear that the woman sitting next to my eldest also cried.

I got pregnant 16 years ago and ever since I cry really easily. It's just how it is.

I cried and I was relieved to hear that the woman sitting next to my eldest also cried.

I got pregnant 16 years ago and ever since I cry really easily. It's just how it is.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is 90% my problem :D

If they could keep Oppenheimer to more like two hours I'd see it, but as is, can't be arsed.

Just saw Barbie - absolutely awesome and actually a film that might have quite an impact on the world. Also, I have not seen a cinema so packed since, I dunno, some time in the mid 90s perhaps, and it wasn't just this showing, there were people in pink coming out of an earlier one as we arrived and the foyer was absolutely bursting.

Saw Oppenheimer yesterday - loved it! Apart from the budget and cast, there’s absolutely nothing about this movie that suggests ‘summer blockbuster’. Felt almost surreal watching it in a packed cinema.

This has been an unforgettable week for cinema, an amazing experience to be part of. Two leftfield releases making unique, original contributions to film and smashing the box office and generating loads of hype and excitement in the process. Such a refreshing change from all the godawful Marvel dross being endlessly churned out!

Saw Oppenheimer yesterday - loved it! Apart from the budget and cast, there’s absolutely nothing about this movie that suggests ‘summer blockbuster’. Felt almost surreal watching it in a packed cinema.

This has been an unforgettable week for cinema, an amazing experience to be part of. Two leftfield releases making unique, original contributions to film and smashing the box office and generating loads of hype and excitement in the process. Such a refreshing change from all the godawful Marvel dross being endlessly churned out!
I heard Oppenheimer will be in Doctor Strange 3.

Oppenheimer won't be released in Japan apparently. Make of that what you will. Personally I think it should be shown but understand why they wouldn't.

Oppenheimer won't be released in Japan apparently. Make of that what you will. Personally I think it should be shown but understand why they wouldn't.
Why precisely though? Has a pubic reason been given?
From what I can tell the actual use of the bomb is basically edited out of the film ..a bizarre choice at best ss surely that IS the story.

Why precisely though? Has a pubic reason been given?
From what I can tell the actual use of the bomb is basically edited out of the film ..a bizarre choice at best ss surely that IS the story.
Why don't you watch the film before you start saying what is the story and what isn't. Or read the book it's based on - it's a good read and probably prominently displayed in all good bookshops.

Does seem odd because there are no scenes from the Japan bombings. In fact there's little if any war scenes at all. I'm no expert on exactly how sensitive Japan is still about these things. The most heartbreaking scene for me was when they were strategizing about which city to detonate the bomb in. US Secretary of War "Not Kyoto - my wife and I honeymooned there and we loved it" :facepalm:

Barbie was amazing, thank you Urbz for pushing me to watch it.

That Godfather joke was hilarious as I’ve done exactly the same thing :facepalm:

The last line aswell :D even with you lot having me anticipating it it still landed, though not with most of the audience (wife didn’t even get it but then she’s never had a Barbie).

Does seem odd because there are no scenes from the Japan bombings. In fact there's little if any war scenes at all. I'm no expert on exactly how sensitive Japan is still about these things. The most heartbreaking scene for me was when they were strategizing about which city to detonate the bomb in. US Secretary of War "Not Kyoto - my wife and I honeymooned there and we loved it" :facepalm:

Kyoto was top of the initial targeting list but was taken off given the massive cultural and historical importance to the Japanese, and the world in general . Whilst the secretary of war did visit on his honeymoon ( and it’s interesting how much interaction there was between the US and Japan in the 1920s and 1930s) that wasn’t the reason. The peace museum at Hiroshima has a large section on the targeting decisions.

I think there is a film to be made about the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings from a modern perspective. But I believe it would be insensitive for Hollywood to make it and should really be a Japanese production.

Last edited:
Why don't you watch the film before you start saying what is the story and what isn't. Or read the book it's based on - it's a good read and probably prominently displayed in all good bookshops.

Actually viewing / reading the source material before pontificating with your opinions?

That’s not the urban way!

Last edited:
As stated previously

There's some talk of it not getting a release here, but that's unlikely. Just that the release date hasn't been decided. Some films get delayed for quite some time. Everything Everywhere All at Once only got released in March this year!

It's similar with streaming services and the delays can often be due to awaiting translation.

Just seen Oppenheimer. Lots of men talking blah, blah, blah. Big boom. More talking. I did not have a clue what was going on. Not really my sort of thing but it wasn’t as bad as Interstellar. The best bit of the experience for me was getting the tram to the station. I’ve never been on a tram before!

Barbie was much more fun!

Just seen Oppenheimer. Lots of men talking blah, blah, blah. Big boom. More talking. I did not have a clue what was going on. Not really my sort of thing but it wasn’t as bad as Interstellar. The best bit of the experience for me was getting the tram to the station. I’ve never been on a tram before!

Did you not notice Jean Tatlock and Kitty Oppenheimer respectively also doing a lot of talking (mostly about politics)?
I thought they were portrayed excellently.

Haven't seen either yet (and really looking forward to) but pretty sure Oppenheimer isn't supposed to be "fun"...

I think there is a film to be made about the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings from a modern perspective. But I believe it would be insensitive for Hollywood to make it and should really be a Japanese production.
Hiroshima, Mon Amour obviously no longer modern but still the absolute top of the tree. When I left the cinema after seeing it just amazed.

Kyoto was top of the initial targeting list but was taken off given the massive cultural and historical importance to the Japanese, and the world in general . Whilst the secretary of war did visit on his honeymoon ( and it’s interesting how much interaction there was between the US and Japan in the 1920s and 1930s) that wasn’t the reason. The peace museum at Hiroshima has a large section on the targeting decisions.

There's a couple of Barefoot Gen out there, but have only read abridged manga.

Back
Top Bottom