Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands / artists you own the most music by

mojo pixy

שיר חדש
...but not on your hard drive, its too easy to torrent everything by everyone for free. I mean physical formats, vinyl, tape, CD, 8-track, wax cylinder etc. Formats you can touch and smell.

I only have a few dozen CDs left after my brother lost or sold or discarded my entire CD collection about 10 years ago. I still have a few tapes but most of my hard-copy music is now vinyl. I still buy CDs if I can't find or afford something on vinyl, but I don't like paying for digital copies that only exist in data (I've lost hard drives with thousands of tunes on and I can't be arsed with cloud storage and backups of backups...) so if I really want to keep music I'll shell out for a hard copy I can stick on a shelf.

Anyway of that stuff I have 7 albums by Iron Maiden, 6 each by AC/DC, Sonic Youth and Judas Priest - this is what happens when you end up relying on your teenage music collection - 4 or 5 albums each by a few much cooler bands, but yeah those are my main vibes, as it turns out.

What are yours?

and without checking probably other americana / classic rock - byrds, neil young, lots of dylan, neil young, beatles, stones

Others that will be up there will be Dylan, Mogwai, Squarepusher, SFA and their various solo projects, and Autechre. If the latter keep going they might well overtake the Fall.

I have no idea whatsoever, Every CD I buy I immediately rip without fail as soon as I get I must have a couple of thousand of them by now dotted all over the house plus about 200ish Vinyl albums all long term possessions since I haven't bought any new vinyl in decades. Quite a lot of my CD's aren't at my house anymore for that matter. Middle daughter has inherited 2 things off me, being left-handed and my musical taste which is one of the reasons I rip asap before she has chance to have a listen. I do torrent a lot of music but I also buy a lot of MP3's as well.
Mrs Q likes to tut-tut about my collection many of which I have had longer than her but I turn a deaf ear to her if not the music. She might say I can't listen to it all but I do just not at once. I often find myself with a favourite artist of the moment and returning to old favourites I haven't listened to in a while.
There are a lot of artists of whom I might have one or two albums. But there some artists of whom I have their entire discography, off the top of my head that includes Bruce Springsteen, Heart, U2, Billy Joel, Queen, Fleetwood Mac (though they are Middle's favourite and other than the Greatest Hits one in the car she has appropriated all my Fleetwood Mac CD's), Bon Jovi, Bruce Hornsby, Bryan Adams, Chris de Burgh, Foreigner, Genesis, John Cougar Mellencamp, Pat Benatar, REO Speedwagon and I'm sure a lot more. The last album I bought was Woman in Colour by Raye Zaragoza.

That's quite a lot of full sets! :thumbs:

The only band I have every album by is Oranssi Pazuzu, who have only released 5 anyway. At one time (long, long ago) I did have every Iron Maiden album but in the end their stamina and patience outlasted mine :D

Then later The Book of Souls was one of the many albums that got eaten by a failing hard drive and I've never replaced it with a physical copy.

Ha I've just remembered - Ludwig van Beethoven, head and shoulders above the rest actually. I've got every symphony on LP, plus a load more including some 1930s string quartet recordings and a 6-album box set of some really obscure stuff, including Die Ruinen Von Athenen which is one of my favourite LvB compositions.

I also have 6 of Ralph Vaughan Williams' 9 symphonies, what a trip they are.

There's an 8-album Tchaikovsky box set in the house too but it's not mine, my son bought it and it's his :)

Last edited:
It seems to be a tie, with 11 each (singles & albums) from:

Bauhaus
Mad Professor
Underground Resistance*

Although, I've got 2 box sets containing all 12 Siouxsie & the Banshees albums on CD. If you count those as separate albums and add the 2 I've got on vinyl, that'd make them the winner.

* that's just records credited to UR, add in other stuff on the label like Galaxy 2 Galaxy, Drexciya, Los Hermanos, X102, X103 and they'd be a runaway winner.

Dead Moon LPs (doesn't really reflect them being my favourite band, I just found a load of their LPs for pretty cheap and was in a phase of thinking they were the best band ever... I mean they are great but I would be fine with just a comp tbh, their LPs aren't massively varied).... On U Sound related (so dub syndicate, african headcharge, creation rebel) (again more related to access/cheapness rather than because i am and obsessive fan, though it is definitely more worth owning them all as they are all pretty varied and I do stick them all on pretty often). Iggy Pop (inherited from other peoples' collections, again all worth it as they are varied; solo only weirdly, i don't own any stooges.... wait I think I have 2 on CD somewhere, I've heard them enough anyway). Lumpy and the Dumpers.

Almost certainly Lee Hazelwood.

Maybe Guitar Wolf.
Could be 80s The The or Big Audio Dynamite strangely, due to a 14 year old me buying every remix, Ltd edition or US copy.

Others that will be up there will be Dylan, Mogwai, Squarepusher, SFA and their various solo projects, and Autechre. If the latter keep going they might well overtake the Fall.
I did a count today, and Autechre are some way behind at this point. It's currently The Fall 21, Autechre 14.

I still buy all my music physically, no idea how digital stuff works really.

For both vinyl and CD it's Lee Scratch Perry, by a long way.

Discounting him, for CDs it looks to be a tie - Manu Chao, Jon Hopkins, Public Enemy and Doors - with five albums each
Vinyl - I mainly buy singles, so counting those it's looking like Tippe Irie, which surprised me.

Back
Top Bottom