Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Assange to face extradition

He doesn't need a rehash of a lot of negative elements of wikileaks three months out from the election, he doesn't need to divide the democratic party over the wikileaks thing the way that its causing furore here, he doesnt need assange making more speeches from the witness stand.

Whacking Osama is one thing, 9/11 and all that. But Assange is a different case, and is divisive.

It might be divisive here, but it isn't within the US establishment, Democrat or Republican. There might be division over whether or not the correct label to apply to Assange after the Manning leaks is 'traitor', 'terrorist', or 'criminal'. Apart from that, they're pretty much of a similar mind in their opinion of Assange.

There's clearly a fairly big international political shit-storm over Assange. So there's no way the Swedish authorities can claim they want to treat him the same as everyone else; that's already not possible, it's a political event. I think if this was the 1960s then a left government would have made some kind of stgatement to assure the world of Sweden's independence towards possible US pressure. Olof Palme would have made some speech. Legally binding or not, it would have set the tone.

Not sure if this has been posted already. From wkileaks:

In early 2011, Burton revealed in internal Stratfor correspondence that a secret Grand Jury had already issued a sealed indictment for Assange: "Not for Pub — We have a sealed indictment on Assange. Pls protect."
According to Burton: "Assange is going to make a nice bride in prison. Screw the terrorist. He’ll be eating cat food forever." A few weeks earlier, following Julian Assange’s release from a London jail, where he had been remanded as a result of a Swedish prosecutor’s arrest warrant, Fred Burton told SkyNews: "extradition [to the US is] more and more likely"

we all know the americans want him. there's nothing in that that shows they've done any sort of deal.

Burton's a pro-spook, talking head and general whipperupper. He speaks for himself, his company (who are pissed that wikileaks released their emails) and not for the State Department or White House.

Burton's a pro-spook, talking head and general whipperupper. He speaks for himself, his company (who are pissed that wikileaks released their emails) and not for the State Department or White House.

And much like Assange, Burton could be said to operate in the same universe as hinted at by an alleged Augustus deathbed quote...

'Did I play my part well? If so, applaud me!'

I think it's pretty obvious the Americans want him and, all things being even, may make an attempt to extradite at some point. That's largely as a deterrent, there's only so much they can get from physically having hold of him - he's too white and rich to be waterboarded. However the reality of having him will undoubtedly be messy - free speech arguments in open court, boost for those on the left and right saying the US state is totalitarian. There's also the retaliatory leaks and cyber attacks they will face. Careful of what you wish for type of thing.

Yes it's pretty clear:
An FBI agent who was a witness in the case of detained soldier Bradley Manning has stated that the “founders, owners and managers” WikiLeaks were under investigation. Ratner also noted that the FBI has compiled a dossier of 42,135 pages pertaining to Assange.
Source.

I think it's pretty obvious the Americans want him and, all things being even, may make an attempt to extradite at some point. That's largely as a deterrent, there's only so much they can get from physically having hold of him - he's too white and rich to be waterboarded. However the reality of having him will undoubtedly be messy - free speech arguments in open court, boost for those on the left and right saying the US state is totalitarian. There's also the retaliatory leaks and cyber attacks they will face. Careful of what you wish for type of thing.

What he is accused of is nothing to do with free speech though.

What he is accused of is nothing to do with free speech though.
Well, certainly not in the case that could end up in a Swedish court. If he ever gets to America (which I doubt he ever will, by any route) I can see his lawyers bringing in the 1st Amendment re the wikileaks case.

One of Greenwald's quoted sources might have slagged his argument slightly today. @klamberg demonstrates the impossibility of Sweden assuring no extradition.

Its surrounding the supreme court, and its need to assess each case as it arises. The government has a veto, but cannot use it if the supreme court decides that all criteria for extradition have been met. And if not, then the supreme court won't allow extradition anyway. But they cannot pre-judge an extradition request before the details have been made.

Eek, the source has claimed that Greenwald misinterpreted his work, didn't ask him about it and has now agreed with David Allen Green.

your thoughts, belboid?

I've not read the entire thread so this may have been discussed, but I've been thinking about this, and am now wondering if Assange possibly actually sought asylum because he got wind that the US were about to issue their own charges that might have trumped the Swedish charges, and resulted in him being extradited from the UK not to Sweden, but to the US directly.

This would really be the only scenario that would actually make sense to me, unless this really is just a ploy to avoid the charges in Sweden. Having read all the statements released, I'd be surprised if this was his motivation though, as to me I'd have though that even if convicted, he'd be given the lowest sentence allowed, as the allegations are about as far from the norms of rape allegations as it's possible to get while still actually falling into that category.

This would really be the only scenario that would actually make sense to me, unless this really is just a ploy to avoid the charges in Sweden. Having read all the statements released, I'd be surprised if this was his motivation though, as to me I'd have though that even if convicted, he'd be given the lowest sentence allowed, as the allegations are about as far from the norms of rape allegations as it's possible to get while still actually falling into that category.
Yea it's not really legitimate rape is it?

Yea it's not really legitimate rape is it?
That's not what I said.

But to expand on it, one of the charges relates to consensual sex where the girl then alleges that part way through assange deliberately nipped the end of the condom so that it leaked, which is the bit she'd not consented to. Now, if this were true, then it probably would fall into the rape category legally, but I just can't see it getting anything like the sort of sentence that someone would get for a situation where no consent existed at all.

TBH though, I can't really see that this has much if any chance of him being found guilty of it, unless he confessed to it, as it's obvious that he could just state that the condom must have broken itself and he'd pretty much have to be found not guilty on grounds of reasonable doubt, or whatever similar rule they have over there. This isn't me judging whether he's actually guilty of it or not, just saying that I see it as being very doubtful that any court would be able to convict him of it.

The other case possibly does have more chance of getting a conviction, but again she says in her statement that (paraphrasing) she was happy to be having sex with him until she discovered that he wasn't wearing a condom, and even in her statement she doesn't actually say that she told him to stop, just asked him if he was wearing a condom, then said that he'd better not have HIV, which I'd think a court would decide is a pretty unclear way of saying for him to stop. This probably has a slightly greater chance of a successful prosecution, but I'd still expect any sentence to be at the lower end of the scale.

To anyone saying 'rape is rape', you'd have to explain why the sentences for rape range from 4 years to life (in the UK). Also of relevance here is the prior consensual sex, which in this country at least is classed as a mitigating factor, which also feeds into my thinking that he'd likely be facing sentences at the very low end of the sentencing spectrum if he was convicted.

Mitigating:
  • Victim engaged in consensual sexual activity with the offender on the same occasion and immediately before the offence
What I'm trying to say here is that I just don't see that he was really facing sufficiently long sentences if convicted to justify taking refuge in an embassy where he must have known he could end up spending years effectively under house arrest.

Therefore I'm tending more to the view that he actually did genuinely take refuge from fear of extradition to the US, rather than to escape the charges in Sweden. Before reading the statements, I'd had the opposite viewpoint fwiw.

Just a little while ago, the US Govt. sent soldiers in helicopters to execute bin Laden in Pakistan.

They don't seem to be caring as much about all that 'rights' business, as they purported to before.

Back
Top Bottom