Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

arsenal 2021/22: we can't do worse than last season

Arsenal will beat teams, I think this game ended three consecutive losses for us against them. The second half was a lot better from Arsenal's point of view and they have some good young players. Whether not they have the mix and tactics to control a game consistently is a different matter however I think they will improve and are capable of a lot more than we've seen at the beginning of the season.

Is it wrong that I almost want us to lose to West Brom tonight? I mean a win will just get dressed as some improvemnent before City anhilate us on Saturday, but a loss to a Championship team followed by said tonking, might finally see the need for change recognised?

Pretty much pointless, that game last night. I guess any goals bring confidence, so if we were playing a poor premiership team this weekend, the bounce might have helped, buy having toasted West Brom's 3rd team isn't going to help against City.

Is it wrong that I almost want us to lose to West Brom tonight? I mean a win will just get dressed as some improvemnent before City anhilate us on Saturday, but a loss to a Championship team followed by said tonking, might finally see the need for change recognised?
Everyone recognises what's needed, and that's kroenke out

Every time people have demanded change said change has been worse that what prompted the complaints. Maybe it is time to stop demanding change and give arteta time. Or apologise to Wenger and get him back

Every time people have demanded change said change has been worse that what prompted the complaints. Maybe it is time to stop demanding change and give arteta time. Or apologise to Wenger and get him back
I never wanted Wenger out. It didn't have an 'x' -in solution. Having brought us huge success, Wenger was overachieving with what he had for the last few years. Under Arteta, and the current regime, we've lost more home games in 20 months than that Wenger did in his last 6 years.

There's no equivalence. People were demanding change from an almost consistent top four finish, with no plan to guarantee better than considerable achievement.

I want change now because we're dogshit. We can't defend, we don't have any leaders on the pitch and get bullied by any team who turn up with the bit between their teeth

Last edited:
I never wanted Wenger out. It didn't have an 'x' -in solution. Having brought us huge success, Wenger was overachieving with what he had for the last few years. Under Arteta, and the current regime, we've lost more home games in 20 months than Wenger did in his last 6 years.

There's no equivalence. People were demanding change from an almost consistent top four finish, with no plan to guarantee better than considerable achievement.

I want change now because we're dogshit. We can't defend, we don't have any leaders on the pitch and get bullied by any team who turn up with the bit between their teeth
Yeh more lost games in the last 20 months than Wenger's last 72. I get that. I don't like seeing arsenal do so poorly. But I think it would be worse to start going through a rapid series of managers like spurs did in the search for someone successful. Sure we're not doing too well at the moment. But more churn isn't going to bring success closer. Let's stick with arteta for the time being and give him and the team the space and support they need

Yeh more lost games in the last 20 months than Wenger's last 72. I get that. I don't like seeing arsenal do so poorly. But I think it would be worse to start going through a rapid series of managers like spurs did in the search for someone successful. Sure we're not doing too well at the moment. But more churn isn't going to bring success closer. Let's stick with arteta for the time being and give him and the team the space and support they need
There has to be some change, whether that's Arteta realising the current players and or/system aren't good enough, or changing to someone who does.

There has to be some change, whether that's Arteta realising the current players and or/system aren't good enough, or changing to someone who does.
At this point in the season it's really unfair to be demanding change. It doesn't matter where in the table we are after two games, there's all to play for and it's only after Christmas that anything about final standings starts to become clear. Season after season man u under Ferguson were really shit before Christmas but started putting a run on after: while I doubt arteta is a Ferguson, I think he still deserves to be supported as the campaign has barely got going yet and already the players and manager are being undermined. We all knew back in June arsenal weren't going to win the league this season, we're really just going for a spot in Europe this time round. Is it so hard to get behind the team and support them in that limited aim?

At this point in the season it's really unfair to be demanding change. It doesn't matter where in the table we are after two games, there's all to play for and it's only after Christmas that anything about final standings starts to become clear. Season after season man u under Ferguson were really shit before Christmas but started putting a run on after: while I doubt arteta is a Ferguson, I think he still deserves to be supported as the campaign has barely got going yet and already the players and manager are being undermined. We all knew back in June arsenal weren't going to win the league this season, we're really just going for a spot in Europe this time round. Is it so hard to get behind the team and support them in that limited aim?
Two seasons ago we finished 5th. The following two we've finished in 8th, our worst finish in 25 years. If we were improving, I'd agree with you, but we're not.

Two seasons ago we finished 5th. The following two we've finished in 8th, our worst finish in 25 years. If we were improving, I'd agree with you, but we're not.
i don't care about the last three seasons. they've been and gone. i care about this season and it's obvs going to be worse than the last two if people insist on undermining the team.

e2a: the twitter thread The39thStep step links to above covers this. what i think's needed is a spot of stability if we want to get out of this pit

Last edited:
i don't care about the last three seasons. they've been and gone. i care about this season and it's obvs going to be worse than the last two if people insist on undermining the team.
I'm not undermining the team, I'm discussing the complete lack of progress and failure to change what is clearly not working. I pay £2600 a year for my season tickets and struggled to give them away for Sunday, because there wasn't a hope in hell's chance we might win OR entertain.

I'm not undermining the team, I'm discussing the complete lack of progress and failure to change what is clearly not working. I pay £2600 a year for my season tickets and struggled to give them away for Sunday, because there wasn't a hope in hell's chance we might win OR entertain.
i can't really see how demanding change at this point of the season is going to give the team the confidence you want them to have to win things.

i can't really see how demanding change at this point of the season is going to give the team the confidence you want them to have to win things.
It's at this point in a third season, where we are clearly not getting better.

If you go here to a 'pick your team', pick a solid back four:

You can't. There aren't four defenders good enough.

Pick a midfield that has any bite at all. You can't.

Confidence isn't going to change that.

It's at this point in a third season, where we are clearly not getting better.

If you go here to a 'pick your team', pick a solid back four:

You can't. There aren't four defenders good enough.

Pick a midfield that has any bite at all. You can't.

Confidence isn't going to change that.
yeh well sadly we're broadly stuck with the players we've got for the season, so we might as well encourage them to a) play to the best of their ability, and b) play as a team. knocking them isn't going to make them better players or boost their team spirit. the manager? yeh arteta's more likely to go than any of the squad. but bringing someone else in during the season might give you the traditional one match boost but will unsettle everything else. i'm sick of the 'success now!' demands, i can't think of a time when bringing in a new manager partway through the season has led to success then. just look at what happened to spurs during wenger's time in charge
1629977120280.png
i don't want to go through such a prolonged period of utter mediocrity, with manager after manager failing. i'd rather stick with arteta for this season and see how we go.

Beware self-radicalising online....this feedback loop is a force multiplier and someone will get hurt.

BTW expensive season tickets doesn't mean you should get results - there are 20 teams in the Prem, someone has to be eighth . That means losing some games.

Managers need time to build/repair a team. I like Arteta and can't see that being yet another manager in won't change the dressing room or the squad.

Beware self-radicalising online....this feedback loop is a force multiplier and someone will get hurt.

BTW expensive season tickets doesn't mean you should get results - there are 20 teams in the Prem, someone has to be eighth . That means losing some games.

Looking at the the league, our finishing poisition for the last 2 seasons is 15% worse than 3 seasons ago. And it's very clear this season won't be any better, if not a lot worse. I didn't want Wenger out, I'm not saying sack the manager, but the fact that something remarkarbly different needs to happen is as plain as the nose on your face. Or, as it seems you're suggesting, which is bizarre for anyone interested in competitive sport, just accept we're not going to come higher than 8th anymore.

Xhaka with an entirely pointless reckless two footer on an opponent heading away from goal. Might have pulled one foot back out but 50/50 if you get a red or yellow.

Only hope is ten men keeps the score down because we don't try to anything but concede.

Back
Top Bottom