Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Are we having fun yet?' LRB article on banking crisis

killer b

That vase.
Don't suppose it's much new, but this article in the latest London Review of Books gathers together lot of stuff, in an almost enjoyable romp of a read. It's fairly long, but tbf it probably deserves to be.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n13/john-lanchester/are-we-having-fun-yet

couple of favourite bits:

on libor:
In February this year, RBS was up. They paid $325 million to the CFTC, $150 million to the DoJ, and £87.5 million to the FSA, for a total of about £390 million. Well, I say ‘they’, but since the bank is 82 per cent owned by the taxpayer, the people paying this bill turn out to be us. Are we having fun yet?

on standard chartered's 'defered prosecution'
On 5 March this year, the chairman of the bank, Sir John Peace, said the following clunky thing: ‘We had no wilful act to avoid sanctions; you know, mistakes are made – clerical errors – and we talked about, last year, a number of transactions which clearly were clerical errors or mistakes that were made.’ This made the regulators furious, and in Sir John’s next statement on the subject, 16 days later, he said that he and the bank retracted ‘the comment I made as both legally and factually incorrect. To be clear, Standard Chartered unequivocally acknowledges and accepts responsibility, on behalf of the bank and its employees, for past knowing and wilful criminal conduct in violating US economic sanctions, laws and regulations.’ This was described in the
FT
as ‘the most abject apology that City pundits can remember hearing from a banker in recent times’, and their story reporting it contained a link to the Clash playing ‘I fought the law.’ The DoJ made it clear that without the retraction, the bank would have been prosecuted.
just retraction. that's all was needed.

yeah, it's the first thing in the latest issue. as it happens, Dirty Martini just told me to check out his previous LRB articles. i've only known him as an interesting writer on alcoholism (i think?) so it's a bit of a surprise.

An excellent artıcle.

Wıth regard to dıscussıons we've had on here, ıt makes the (obvıous but much-dısputed) poınt that banks really do create money out of nothıng:

'' when a bank lends money, it creates assets for itself: your mortgage appears on the bank’s accounts as one of its assets, and so does all the other money the bank lends. So a bank can grow with enormous speed – can create large quantities of assets for itself – simply by lending money much too freely.''

Wıth regard to dıscussıons we've had on here, ıt makes the (obvıous but much-dısputed) poınt that banks really do create money out of nothıng:
How many times? Every asset is matched by a liability.

critique of loon theories around banking/money creation/the federal reserve

"Banks create money out of nothing" - Guardian

Taking on the currency cranks
Don't suppose it's much new, but this article in the latest London Review of Books gathers together lot of stuff, in an almost enjoyable romp of a read. It's fairly long, but tbf it probably deserves to be.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n13/john-lanchester/are-we-having-fun-yet
Thanks for the article killer b

It seems bizarre that something so central to the global markets – $360 trillion of deals are pinned to Libor – should have such a strong element of invention or guesswork. The potential for abuse is immediately apparent. As MacKenzie prophetically said, ‘the obvious risk to the integrity of the calculation is that a bank on a Libor panel might make a manipulative input, trying to move Libor up or down so as to influence interest rates or the value of its swaps portfolio.’

Surprise! After the crisis, when investigators were taking an energetic interest in Libor, it turned out that that was exactly what had been happening, not just at one or two banks but across an entire swath of the industry. It’s not a difficult scene to picture. In a small office with no windows, a pointy-headed, glasses-wearing Libor ‘submitter’ – that’s the name of the people who tell the BBA what the notional lending rate is that day – sits in front of a keyboard.

In a large open-plan office with windows on all sides, a roomful of shouting, swearing, meat-eating traders would be able to make enormous amounts of money by betting on Libor if only, if only, they had some way of finding out that day’s rate. If they had some way of actually influencing the rate, it would be even better. They could bet big on it going up, and then help it to go up.

So a sweary, red-meat-eating trader picks up the phone, or fires up his email, or strolls down the hallway towards the submitter’s office and … but wait! The traders are not allowed to talk to the submitters! That would be wrong! And dividing them is an impenetrable barrier, that sacred and potent thing, profoundly respected inside banking, a ‘Chinese wall’. So nothing like this can ever happen! Except that here we would all do well to bear in mind something an experienced Wall Street investor told Michael Lewis: ‘When I hear “Chinese wall” I think “you’re a fucking liar.”’
‘When I hear “Chinese wall” I think “you’re a fucking liar.”’ Light touch regulation lol.

How many times? Every asset is matched by a liability.

The poınt ıs that neıther asset nor lıabılty ıs real. They do not exıst. When the banks claım that they exıst, therefore, they are creatıng money out of nothıng.

yeah, it's the first thing in the latest issue. as it happens, Dirty Martini just told me to check out his previous LRB articles. i've only known him as an interesting writer on alcoholism (i think?) so it's a bit of a surprise.

He's a novelist by trade, and an excellent one as well: Debt to Pleasure and Mr Phillips are my favourites. He got interested in the financial crisis when he was researching Capital, a rather baggy and self-consciously Dickensian doorstop which featured a banker as a central character, and wrote Whoops - an excellent account of everything from credit default swaps to collateralised debt options - as a result. He seems to have stayed with the theme.

Started reading this a few days ago and enjoyed the opening bit so much I tucked it aside to read without distraction, really good, if, given the amounts discussed, frightening.

Can't read them as not free on the site i'm afraid. That said, i bet it's not exactly difficult to find a copy on-line.

edit: yep, got one already.

Lanchester has another excellent article in the latest LRB - this time on high frequency trading (65 per cent of trading on public stock markets in the US 7 years ago, so much much higher now) and how it means that there is no actual market. There can't be.

The hero is a Canadian banker called Brad Katsuyama, and the mystery is, on the surface of it, a simple one. Katsuyama’s job involved buying and selling stocks. The problem was that when he sat at his computer and tried to buy a stock, its price would change at the very moment he clicked to execute the trade. The apparent market price was not actually available. He raised the issue with the computer people at his bank, who first tried to blame him, and then when he demonstrated the problem – they watched while he clicked ‘Enter’ and the price changed – went quiet.

Katsuyama came to realise that his problem was endemic across the financial industry. The price was not the price. The picture of the market given by stable prices moving across screens was an illusion; the real market was not available to him.

We want a market to be people buying and selling to and from each other, in a specific physical location, ideally with visible prices. In this new market, the principal actors are not human beings, but algorithms; the real action happens inside computers at the exchanges, and the old market is now nothing more than a stage set whose main function is to be a backdrop for news stories about the stock market. As for the prices, they move when you try to act on them, and anyway, as Lewis says, there’s the problem of the ‘dark pools’, which are in effect private stock markets, owned for the most part by big investment banks, whose entire function is to execute trades out of sight of the wider public: nobody knows who’s buying, nobody knows who’s selling, and nobody knows the prices paid

Last edited:
A systemic inability to adequately process economic information was what brought GOSPLAN down in the USSR. Hmmm. . . .

if you can, you should read the Lewis book - its one of his more ..um..critical pieces dare i say it , as opposed to his earlier stuff . I can lend a copy if anyone is interested

if you can, you should read the Lewis book - its one of his more ..um..critical pieces dare i say it , as opposed to his earlier stuff . I can lend a copy if anyone is interested
He talks about that. Lewis thought he was an insider turned whistleblower but became a salesman.
The story about finance that he began to tell in his first book, Liar’s Poker, the exuberant and uproarious account of his time as a bond salesman at Salomon Brothers, and continued with his credit crunch book, The Big Short, is getting steadily darker.

In the prologue to The Big Short, Lewis wrote that when he sat down to write his first book, ‘I hoped that some bright kid at Ohio State University who really wanted to be an oceanographer would read my book, spurn the offer from Goldman Sachs, and set out to sea.’

Instead, and of course, ‘six months after Liar’s Poker was published, I was knee-deep in letters from students at Ohio State University who wanted to know if I had any other secrets to share about Wall Street.
Being admired in the industry made it easy for him to make the next two books though. Reminds me of Michael Douglas and Wall Street
There is an interview included on the DVD version of Oliver Stone's 1987 film Wall Street in which Michael Douglas makes a startling confession. In all the years since portraying Gordon Gekko, the prototypical bad guy of New York high finance, young men have approached him to express their gratitude.

They're not thankful for having been warned away from a profession prone to richly rewarding those who behave according to Gekko's motto, "greed is good," or even for a cautionary tale that made them seek to do business in a more ethical sort of way.

Rather, they credit Douglas, as Gekko, for inspiring them to charge into the industry whole hog, to embrace the perverse parsimony of a worldview in which greed is actually good. Gekko the villain, Douglas discovered, was their hero.

Back
Top Bottom