Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are there any comedians here?

Mumbles274

running from law and the press and the parents
I've had this strong urge to do stand up for ages. The thing is I don't really know how to write jokes/skits etc and make a routine, I know how I'd want to be comedic and I think it would be acting based rather than being me telling jokes straight as me as it were.

Anywya... Waffle waffle waffle.

Anyone here done stand up? Made up comedy routines, have experience of writing comedy. Would live to hear your input

This is a joke I came up with you might have seen me post elsewhere. For me it's about make the joke work as efficiently a possible and this feels like an efficient joke to me. Thoughts welcome

Apparently, some story about Starmer has exploded like an overcooked hostage, I mean sausage

I've done it. A few (short) sets under my belt.

I'd absolutely recommend giving it a go. Even if you hate it, at least you'll know you tried it.

And if you're even remotely good at it, you'll want to do it more. Find a comedy club for newbie comedians - I joined one in Swansea, and it was an affirming place to take those first steps...

Go for it!
N wants to try this too, he can be very funny and he loves having an audience.
Looking for a fairly low key open mic night where he can give a short set a whirl.
The worst that can happen is you don't enjoy it.

Don't do it. There are more than enough comics out there already. I used to have a Welsh-Puerto Rican colleague who I felt obliged to support out of workplace solidarity: West Side Story gags with sheep punchlines. I haven't been to any comedy stuff since he became a children's entertainer.

I was there!

Last edited:
You'll need to write a ten minute set, because nerves will compress that into a five minute set.
I'm lucky in that I am one of those people who doesn't experience nerves in these situations. Which is lucky, as in my first ever set, I detached the mike from the stand after I'd come on stage, and the cable connector fell off and into bits. I had to do a certain amount of non-verbal clowning as I reassembled it and plugged it back in. Unscripted: "don't you fucking hate it when that happens?". My first laugh.

I'm pretty sure I'd be terrible at it. I can be very funny in real life, but not in a way that translates to stand-up. Stand-up takes more time and effort than it appears.

Your sausage Starmer joke didn't make me laugh, sorry, but it's more in the telling than what's written down.

If you tried it and nobody laughed then you could maybe add "well, dunno why you aren't laughing. Told it to me Mum and she said my sausage joke was a banger.

Told it to my best mate and he said yep, she is! I shook my head, just like I am now, and said "your Mum" jokes are old-fashioned now. Not like my best mate's Mum, she's not old fashioned, she's a delightful person, finger right on the zeitgeist like Schofield's finger's always on the intern's call button, always tries not to offend anyone. Anyway, so, my best mate, Hitler Jr, said..."

Pause for laughter or silence.. "I'm known for that sausage joke in Germany, though. At least, they said I was known for the worst joke..."

Or with a cleverer audience, go for "they said it was 'total Scheisse.' which I wasn't expecting. My agent told me that's Berliner German for 'really funny.'" You know, like we say the bollocks? Makes sense, right? Think she might have been lying though, because I looked her name up, and..." Etc.

Or build up on it in a way that's actually funny and that you can remember. Something personal to you or to the personality you've made up.

I have one good acquaintance who's a relatively successful comedian (it's her main job, anyway), and one close friend who did well for a while then decided it wasn't for her. They did both have some training. My friend who has stopped doing stand-up still benefited from it - a course at the comedy store, I think. It made her more confident and better and public speaking - she was always good at that but she got even better - and she made a lot of friends. I'm very glad to say that, having seen them both live, they were both genuinely really funny. I've had a couple of other acquaintances try it out (one with some success) and they weren't funny. Still respect them for going for it though.

Maybe look into courses near you, or short intensive week-long ones somewhere you'd want to visit.

Open mics will also let you try out any comedy TBH. The problem with really open open mics is that the only audience is likely to be your mates and other comedians, so it can be hard to tell whether you're funny or they're kind. I think sometimes they also don't laugh when it actually is funny - based on people I've seen - because it's not the right set-up. But it's still a way to try it out and it's brave to do it.

It's something that very few people can manage to do and kudos to those who try it.

Try local open mic/improv gigs for starters and be warned that you may die on stage more than once. But don't let that put you off. The experience will build up your confidence levels.

The thing is to concentrate on timing and connecting with the audience. Be able to ad lib without getting riled, should you be heckled. Because there's always someone who reckons they're funnier than you but wouldn't dare brave the stage.

Hone that material. Practice repeatedly - in front of the mirror or with friends who can be objective.

And watch the greats, see how they build up a gag or routine, how they capture an audience.

I have a mate who is a stand up and does classes in it so I could put you in touch. He's just done a stint at Edinburgh and unfortunately he's poorly at present so I can't ask him if he did put my shockingly poor joke into a routine as he asked to.

"I used to be a Meatloaf impersonator"
Why did you stop? Can you not fit in the tin any more?

I did a fair few open mics about 25 years ago until I realised I didn't have the tenacity to really stick at a stand up career. It takes discipline, resolution, and an ability to commit to a pretty tough life to get anywhere. I'm glad I gave it a go and I have a confidence in public speaking and work stuff which likely comes from nothing being as scary since.

Write, write, write and write some more. Learn to hone and edit. Think about your speaking rhythm. Watch as much stand up as you're able to (it helped that I lived in Edinburgh and then London at the time) and think about what you like, and what it is about that stuff that makes it good. Listen to comedians talking and writing about comedy; as well as what's mentioned above, I'd listen to the podcast Rule of Three (comedians talking about their favourite comedy) and the host of that, Joel Morris, has written a book "Be Funny Or Die; Why Comedy Works and Why it Matters"

I've had this strong urge to do stand up for ages. The thing is I don't really know how to write jokes/skits etc and make a routine, I know how I'd want to be comedic and I think it would be acting based rather than being me telling jokes straight as me as it were.

Anyone here done stand up? Made up comedy routines, have experience of writing comedy. Would live to hear your input

This is a joke I came up with you might have seen me post elsewhere. For me it's about make the joke work as efficiently a possible and this feels like an efficient joke to me. Thoughts welcome

Apparently, some story about Starmer has exploded like an overcooked hostage, I mean sausage
It's funner if you stop at hostage.

Also, IMHO I wouldn't start off trying to do topical stuff, because it dates incredibly quickly and nothing is naffer that slightly out of date material. You're going to want to hone as good a 5-10 minutes as you possibly can, and no one is good enough to be writing a new 5 - 10 minutes every week or two starting out. Actually the famous comedians who do that stuff have a team of writers behind them so make that, no one is good enough to do that full stop.

Thanks for good advice, I think I need to try to set myself some targets for writing and start there and take if from there

His schtick was more funny poetry rather than your regular gags-galore stand up, but isvicthere? was always very entertaining!

Something I've reflected on is hinted up thread about writing comedy. The most fun I've had with making up comedy, gags, sketches, cartoons has been doing it with someone else. I think I need a writing partner... I think helps refine what's funny and what isn't

My granduncle and my uncle were stand-up comedians. My uncle emigrated to Liverpool when he was 19. He worked Liverpool and Manchester...performing in the working mens clubs. It was very tough work. And audiences took no prisoners.
He used to come home once a year and when he visited I used to see my dad laughing so much he ended up on the floor.. 😀
The clubs were nasty places...in those days everyone smoked and he smoked like a chimney. Died of lung cancer when he was 52. Had the band play Roll Out The Barrel for his cremation.

Anyway...
Give it a go..it can't be as bad as it used to be. People are more polite now. Nobody will throw shit at you.. 😆

My granduncle and my uncle were stand-up comedians. My uncle emigrated to Liverpool when he was 19. He worked Liverpool and Manchester...performing in the working mens clubs. It was very tough work. And audiences took no prisoners.
He used to come home once a year and when he visited I used to see my dad laughing so much he ended up on the floor.. 😀
The clubs were nasty places...in those days everyone smoked and he smoked like a chimney. Died of lung cancer when he was 52. Had the band play Roll Out The Barrel for his cremation.

Anyway...
Give it a go..it can't be as bad as it used to be. People are more polite now. Nobody will throw shit at you.. 😆
Opening line "I'm really nervous about doing this but I've been reassured no one throws shit at you anymore!"

Back
Top Bottom