Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apple TV+ recommendations?

There are now four episodes of Season Three up, Its great too but getting further away from out time line.

(Although Urb fans will be interested to know that in their time line SPOILER!

Just finished season one and strung out is correct!

Good god man.

Its not really a spoiler but it is

Yeah but we didn't know that until now.

Perfect example. I was at a BMX race with Mini Fire on Sunday, get a text from my mate, "Silverstone madness".

I spend the next 3 hours wondering what that means. When I get home to watch the race I spend the whole race wondering if he was talking about the crash on lap 1 or if there was something even more mental going to happen.

So to follow on.

We don't know if the Thatcher thing is a throwaway headline in the first minute or if it is a full 20 minute depiction of the moment "they" got lucky and she didn't.

Ok. I have reviewed and reconsidered. I was wrong. I have now spolier -ed it and will say four Hail Marys and scour myself with nettles.

Yeah but we didn't know that until now.

Perfect example. I was at a BMX race with Mini Fire on Sunday, get a text from my mate, "Silverstone madness".

I spend the next 3 hours wondering what that means. When I get home to watch the race I spend the whole race wondering if he was talking about the crash on lap 1 or if there was something even more mental going to happen.

So to follow on.

We don't know if the Thatcher thing is a throwaway headline in the first minute or if it is a full 20 minute depiction of the moment "they" got lucky and she didn't.
Yeah, but F1 is boring so you knew nothing would happen...

There are now four episodes of Season Three up, Its great too but getting further away from out time line.
It all went a bit "wacky races" for a while. Generally the writing has seemed like they're less bothered about trying to make it plausible than the first two seasons. Still enjoying it though.

Last edited:
(For All Mankind)

Generally the writing has seemed like they're less bothered about trying to make it plausible than the first two seasons. Still enjoying it though.

That drilling for water scene took it to a new level. I thought sharks were going to come out and jump over the people.

After several years of trying and failing to watch Apple TV on our TV from the iPhone, iPad, and my OH’s older laptop, my new work laptop has finally made it happen :)

So cue me researching what to watch, and I was pleased to see today when I searched online for ‘best Apple shows’ there are a lot more suggestions than I’d thought.

Anyways, just started Home Before Dark, a murder mystery series whose main protagonist is a precocious young girl. Very promising first episode

I tell everyone about For All Mankind. The whole reimagining of the Space Race is pretty rad of an idea and the later seasons are addictive.

Severance felt like it took a while to get through.

Slow Horses - didn't realize it was based on a book.

Servant was awesome the first season, but started getting weird for the next two seasons.

Ted Lasso has funny moments - just don't think about it.

Home - if you're interested in architecture around the world and what people can do with their houses.

WeCrashed - only because I've heard of the concept and didn't know much about it.

Foundation was good science fiction.

Central Park has it's moments. It's a little worse in the musical department than Bob's Burgers. However, it has a good cast.

Mosquito Coast is decent. It's scary how people can get into relationships and work for the government and lie about a lot of things.

Acapulco is cute.

The Problem with Jon Stewart - if you like Jon Stewart, he's gone politically rogue but attempts to do some serious diligence and research,

Tehran is a good spy vs spy tech thriller.

Trying is funny. Takes place in Camden and is about a couple looking to adopt a child. The couple tries their damndest and their friends make like a little hard but easy some times.

The Shining Girls - watch carefully. You get lost in it if you don't follow it.

Lisey's Story - this is a Stephen King show.

Dr Brain needs subtitles but it's good.

Swagger is one season about high school basketball in the inner city.

Truth be Told - two seasons of a podcast journalist making amends for her past doings. Another good cast.

Mr Corman was meh - not really worth it.

Mark Ronson: Watch TheSound - worth watching this series for music people. Really insightful.

1971: The Year that Changed Music - a lot of songs came out before and after that year, but it explains how the songs we think we know from 1970 - 1972 are more deep than what we realize. How the world shifted from free love of the late 60s and into more drugs and sex in the early 70s .. among other things.

Tiny World and Earth at Night are two different amazing series about animals. Totally worth watching because you see other species in a different light. Tiny World goes across the globe looking at small creatures while Earth at Night uses special cameras to see in the dark (better than night vision) to see predators and prey.

Bad Sisters was really good. Quite surprised!

Defending Jacob - I watched that to reminisce about Newton. My mother said the book was better but she did enjoy the series.

Home Before Dark is a good "you go, girl!" series.

There's a documentary about the Velvet Underground that was good.

Finch is a Tom Hanks apocalyptic movie.

Cherry and Palmer are two movies to stick with. Not horrible, but not "omg it was the best".

CODA - won a few awards. Children of Death Adults. It'll make you laugh and cry, and the music teacher in this is the main character in Acapulco.

The Banker was a good insight on the struggles of the 1960s and racial America.

Causeway was "ok". Not bad, but not amazing.

I haven't seen some of the newer movies yet. They are on my list though.

I had the free trial when I bought my iPhone 11. Happened to get the extension trial due to the pandemic, and after getting it extended for over a year because Apple kept delaying turning it off, I started paying for it when the freebie finally ended. It's worth the yearly cost, even though it's going up one of these days. The original content is worth it, and I try to watch most of what's on the channel. I tried SEE but need to start it again. I couldn't get into it. Those who can't justify buying the streaming box, like others have said, get a Fire Stick. I use the Apple TV+ on my Roku (3rd generation) and have no problems with the app on it. Also watch on my phone, so there are other ways besides the $99+ Apple streaming box. The subscription will be worth it once you get the app on something.

I tell everyone about For All Mankind. The whole reimagining of the Space Race is pretty rad of an idea and the later seasons are addictive.

Servant was awesome the first season, but started getting weird for the next two seasons.

Home - if you're interested in architecture around the world and what people can do with their houses.

WeCrashed - only because I've heard of the concept and didn't know much about it.

Central Park has it's moments. It's a little worse in the musical department than Bob's Burgers. However, it has a good cast.

Mosquito Coast is decent. It's scary how people can get into relationships and work for the government and lie about a lot of things.

Acapulco is cute.

The Problem with Jon Stewart - if you like Jon Stewart, he's gone politically rogue but attempts to do some serious diligence and research,

Trying is funny. Takes place in Camden and is about a couple looking to adopt a child. The couple tries their damndest and their friends make like a little hard but easy some times.

Truth be Told - two seasons of a podcast journalist making amends for her past doings. Another good cast.

Mark Ronson: Watch TheSound - worth watching this series for music people. Really insightful.

1971: The Year that Changed Music - a lot of songs came out before and after that year, but it explains how the songs we think we know from 1970 - 1972 are more deep than what we realize. How the world shifted from free love of the late 60s and into more drugs and sex in the early 70s .. among other things.

Tiny World and Earth at Night are two different amazing series about animals. Totally worth watching because you see other species in a different light. Tiny World goes across the globe looking at small creatures while Earth at Night uses special cameras to see in the dark (better than night vision) to see predators and prey.

Defending Jacob - I watched that to reminisce about Newton. My mother said the book was better but she did enjoy the series.

Cherry and Palmer are two movies to stick with. Not horrible, but not "omg it was the best".

CODA - won a few awards. Children of Death Adults. It'll make you laugh and cry, and the music teacher in this is the main character in Acapulco.

I had the free trial when I bought my iPhone 11. Happened to get the extension trial due to the pandemic, and after getting it extended for over a year because Apple kept delaying turning it off, I started paying for it when the freebie finally ended. It's worth the yearly cost, even though it's going up one of these days. The original content is worth it, and I try to watch most of what's on the channel. I tried SEE but need to start it again. I couldn't get into it. Those who can't justify buying the streaming box, like others have said, get a Fire Stick. I use the Apple TV+ on my Roku (3rd generation) and have no problems with the app on it. Also watch on my phone, so there are other ways besides the $99+ Apple streaming box. The subscription will be worth it once you get the app on something.
That’s an impressive report, cheers.

Acapulco is cute.

Not watched The Shrink Next Door? Thought that was pretty well done - Paul Rudd, Will Ferrell and Kathryn Hahn are great.

That’s an impressive report, cheers.

No problem.
Not watched The Shrink Next Door? Thought that was pretty well done - Paul Rudd, Will Ferrell and Kathryn Hahn are great.

I forgot about that one. Very true - it was well done. I thought Will Ferrell did a good job in a “serious” role, even though I’m not they much of a fan of his.

I’ve also started Invasion. It’s one of those series that is hard to watch on a small screen (ie iPhone). Dark / low light scenes are hard to watch. So be forewarned. I am 4 (?) episodes in to it. The invasion is not your typical mass destruction invasion. It’s hard to describe without a lot of spoilers except it’s science fiction related with some catastrophic events. Multiple instances at once found around the globe with this one common thread.

Suspicion - a decent thriller that makes you rethink “be careful who you know and what you say to other people”. 5 people accused of kidnapping one person but none of them actually did it. Wrong time, wrong place, type of situation.

Physical will bring a certain nostalgia of the fad diets, leotards and leg warmers of the 1980s and when we thought VHS home work outs were the bees knees. Spoiler alert / trigger warning for those who need it: main character has an eating disorder, which progresses into the yo yo diet of working out with and without people.

Loot - Maya Rudolph owns her shit as a recently divorced billionaire that had no friggin idea what her non profit does and how the party lifestyle doesn’t help charity work all the time.

Luck is a cute kids movie. But my mother and I both enjoyed it. It takes on the premise of black cats, lucky pennys, shamrocks and other good charms.

Cha Cha Real Smooth will have you wanting to be a party DJ but make you wonder why you started.

I have another recommendation.

My mother and I have spent the better part of the weekend thus far, watching Five Days At Memorial.

It is an 8 episode series about Hurricane Katrina ravishing New Orleans and how one of the major hospitals “some how” had 45 deaths.

We are almost done with the series (I think we are going to start episode 6 today). It is very interesting because “we all know” how bad Katrina was, but some of the events you didn’t see were things like this hospital having problems (it’s 2 hospitals in 1- a rehab/ assisted living hospital <on the top floor> and the main hospital on the rest of the building. Neither hospital works together as they are two separate entities).

My mother said she’s so glad we are watching this after Ian came to town because she would have been more worried about us and the house. I told her that some differences between Ian and Katrina was that the levy’s surrounding us didn’t break (3 different bridges were being watched) and we were not a complete category 5. Had Ian gained a little more strength, it would have been. News kept reporting we really toed the line on the category 4 storm because it really wanted to be a 5 but the velocity wasn’t 100% there. We still had all the damage New Orleans had, some of the looting, the power outage, the flooding, the problems. We just didn’t have the major flooding from the levy’s breaking. My mom also said we aren’t going to shelter in a hospital after watching this (we didn’t before). Considering we live about a mile, if that, from the local hospital, they got major flooding in the car park and first floor during Ian and had to do some evacuation and moving around. We got some flooding from that too but it stayed on the road.

(frogwoman - hospital is on the back road from the resident gate. We passed it when we went to that “amusement park” and also walked to the cow pasture)

Show is worth watching for those who don’t remember hearing about Katrina in 2005 and were watching the news in September and October for Ian. There are a lot of comparisons that we went thru, that Louisiana had.

If you like musicals, Christmas films, Will Ferrell, and Ryan Reynolds, you’re in for an absolute treat with Spirited.

It’s closely related to A Christmas Carol, but not quite another retelling of the story- no, this could almost be described as a sort of sequel- that’s all I can say. It takes 15-20 odd minutes to get properly going, but then it’s just a joy ride. The musical bits are for the most part surprisingly good, and often very funny (look out for the song ‘Good Afternoon’), and it has the right mix of comedy and drama.

If you don’t tick at least two of the four boxes in my first paragraph, you’ll probably hate it- so consider yourself warned. But we tick all four in our household, and we absolutely loved it. Smiled like a fool throughout the entire thing. Best Xmas film since Elf, and dare I say it, probably even better.

If you like musicals, Christmas films, Will Ferrell, and Ryan Reynolds, you’re in for an absolute treat with Spirited.

It’s closely related to A Christmas Carol, but not quite another retelling of the story- no, this could almost be described as a sort of sequel- that’s all I can say. It takes 15-20 odd minutes to get properly going, but then it’s just a joy ride. The musical bits are for the most part surprisingly good, and often very funny (look out for the song ‘Good Afternoon’), and it has the right mix of comedy and drama.

If you don’t tick at least two of the four boxes in my first paragraph, you’ll probably hate it- so consider yourself warned. But we tick all four in our household, and we absolutely loved it. Smiled like a fool throughout the entire thing. Best Xmas film since Elf, and dare I say it, probably even better.

Omg - the "Good Afternoon" sequence was hysterical! 🤣 Good points made throughout that bit. Also, the whole reasoning for it... was just another way Ryan Reynolds character was
shifty

As a whole, it was a sweet film, but took a while to really get in to.

Ms 747 loved bad sisters. I watched a couple of episodes but just couldn’t get into it.

She is cleverer than me mind.

Omg - the "Good Afternoon" sequence was hysterical! 🤣 Good points made throughout that bit. Also, the whole reasoning for it... was just another way Ryan Reynolds character was
shifty

As a whole, it was a sweet film, but took a while to really get in to.
Yes, the initial quarter of an hour makes it feel like yet another by-the-numbers Xmas film clichéd script, but anyone who starts it is strongly advised to stick with it.

I was reading about it earlier and the music production team are the same lot who did La La Land and other high profile musical films. And apparently both Reynolds and Ferrell got paid $20m. Clearly Apple was happy to throw sackfuls of cash at this.

And apparently both Reynolds and Ferrell got paid $20m. Clearly Apple was happy to throw sackfuls of cash at this.

Which is probably why the monthly / yearly subscription fee went up - for Apple to afford to create original content and over pay the actors.

Although.. some of the movies are worth it because you can "see how others live" (like how hard it is to be the only hearing person in a working family [CODA]) or if you're a nature person and want to see other bits of this world (the TV shows - Tiny World or Earth At Night). The price jump can be justified to an extent only because they are trying to get as much original content out as possible and it's all pretty good if you can find something you like.

I know a couple people who based a monthly membership on just 2 shows they couldn't get in to and 1 movie they thought was crap. I told them to search the app more to see there are other things, and I gave them suggestions. They said they'd think about it.

Watched Spirited on the basis of this thread. Top stuff. Brilliant on lots of levels.

I have another recommendation.

My mother and I have spent the better part of the weekend thus far, watching Five Days At Memorial.

It is an 8 episode series about Hurricane Katrina ravishing New Orleans and how one of the major hospitals “some how” had 45 deaths.

We are almost done with the series (I think we are going to start episode 6 today). It is very interesting because “we all know” how bad Katrina was, but some of the events you didn’t see were things like this hospital having problems (it’s 2 hospitals in 1- a rehab/ assisted living hospital <on the top floor> and the main hospital on the rest of the building. Neither hospital works together as they are two separate entities).

My mother said she’s so glad we are watching this after Ian came to town because she would have been more worried about us and the house. I told her that some differences between Ian and Katrina was that the levy’s surrounding us didn’t break (3 different bridges were being watched) and we were not a complete category 5. Had Ian gained a little more strength, it would have been. News kept reporting we really toed the line on the category 4 storm because it really wanted to be a 5 but the velocity wasn’t 100% there. We still had all the damage New Orleans had, some of the looting, the power outage, the flooding, the problems. We just didn’t have the major flooding from the levy’s breaking. My mom also said we aren’t going to shelter in a hospital after watching this (we didn’t before). Considering we live about a mile, if that, from the local hospital, they got major flooding in the car park and first floor during Ian and had to do some evacuation and moving around. We got some flooding from that too but it stayed on the road.

(frogwoman - hospital is on the back road from the resident gate. We passed it when we went to that “amusement park” and also walked to the cow pasture)

Show is worth watching for those who don’t remember hearing about Katrina in 2005 and were watching the news in September and October for Ian. There are a lot of comparisons that we went thru, that Louisiana had.
I watched this over the last three evenings. I thought it was very good for the first five episodes when it chronicled the horrendous events at the hospital and then it took a dip for the last three, when it shifted its attention to the investigation and the legal ramifications. The two investigators are a bit too much fictional crime show cops and they get way too personally involved. That ruined the sense of authenticity somewhat for me. Still, it brought hone (again) what an incredible fuck up by the Bush administration this was and that this happened in a country like the USA.

Reno - that's the challenge with some shows / movies that are "based on true events". The producers must over fictionalize / over dramatize parts of the story, or it will lose audiences.

We want to remember, honor, show what a piece of history has given us (as recent as it may be), but the only way to make people stay the whole time is to throw some curveball in to it.

For this, as you point out, is the investigators being "a bit too much fictional crime show cops" and getting "too personally involved". If this weren't the case, the show also wouldn't have had a somewhat stellar cast either - probably no names and bland. But to your point of it showing what a fuck up the Bush administration was, it also shows how parts of the States could do better in protecting their citizens in general. Those in regions where natural disasters can decimate a city and what is still standing is no better because they don't get the help they need.

It's a double edged sword some times.

Back
Top Bottom