Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apple TV+ recommendations?

Started Servant this evening not knowing what to expect or having looked it up. Fucking loving it and likely to binge the entire S1 before going to bed :)

Finished S1 of Servant. As others have said already, very enjoyable, and a big recommendation from me. As well as a captivating plot, great pace and never ending twists, great performances all
around. Even from Rupert Grint.

Came late to the Ted Lasso party but it’s a great programme. Lovely is probably the best word to describe it iit an un-ironic way.

Nothing like Detectorists but a very similar feel. Deffo recommended.
Yes I'd agree it's kind of in the Detectorists vein....not as good because that is superlative...but it's got a similar gentle feel to it.

Finished S1 of Servant. As others have said already, very enjoyable, and a big recommendation from me. As well as a captivating plot, great pace and never ending twists, great performances all
around. Even from Rupert Grint.
If I recall correctly, S1 has a few "behind the scenes" snippets - how M Night Shymalan came up with some of the concepts (including filming in certain areas). I think S2 + S3 go a little into left field crazy (especially season 3), but it's a train wreck you want to keep watching at that point.

17 bowls of noodles he ate for that scene
Really? Damn. No wonder why my mother was like "want to go for Asian for dinner?" when we saw that episode on Saturday (we didn't end up going, nor did we watch the next episode... she gave up on the series already, so I'm going to have to watch it alone). Although... my mother did say the scene felt like the noodles went on forever...

I didnt realise there were 2 episodes of S2 were released last week until this morning when I went to check is e2 was out

Managed to get through a whole six episodes of the first series of Slow Horses in the space of a week. Enjoyed it very much. Oldman is clearly relishing the role and the other actors in it are fantastic too.
Dunno when I’ll get round to watching S2 but will do soon hopefully

Perhaps I’ve been subconsciously reluctant to give it a go because of the presence of ‘Slow’ in the title. What is the pace like?

Oh and soundtrack by Mogwai, so that's nice/threatening

Last edited:
Two thirds into S1 of Mythic Quest, and it’s getting really good. First few episodes were perfectly watchable, mind, if not necessarily justifying the high praise I’d heard about the series from others. But it keeps improving and growing on you, just like the likes of Community or The US Office does :)
I've just discovered this and binged season 1, wasn't too sure at first but it definitely gets better and s1e10 'Quarantine' was really good. Onto season 2 now.

Ooh! Black Bird is fucking ace, don't see that getting a mention.

Taron Egerton is fucking excellent. Again.
I finished this last night and thought it was excellent. The performances from the two leads were great.

Thanks for the heads up.

I finished this last night and thought it was excellent. The performances from the two leads were great.

Thanks for the heads up.

I meant to come back and say Paul Walter Hauser was immense, completely inhabited the role, made him both pathetic and terrifying

And what a mad story! As far as I could tell reading up on it after, they didn't change anything really salient from the actual events. Nuts.

Just watched the first episode of Mythic Quest. Funny stuff, great to see Abed again, but also great to see a solid diverse cast with a good script about something very now.

Finished Severance. That last episode really brings the whole series to a head in a fantastically brilliant way doesn’t it? :cool:
Personally I've found little on Apple that isn't worth watching, I thought Severance was super TV. Slow Horses and For All Mankind were excellent and now I'm really enjoying M. Night Shyamalan's Servant.

Personally I've found little on Apple that isn't worth watching, I thought Severance was super TV. Slow Horses and For All Mankind were excellent and now I'm really enjoying M. Night Shyamalan's Servant.
To be fair they’re building up their catalogue like all other streaming services did during their early stages, and you would expect them to have far more worthy offerings over time. I remember when Amazon Prime first launched in the UK, their catalogue was indescribably shit, with only one or two decent marquee series available, and the rest of their library ranging from the bad to the truly atrocious.

Shrinking. A new drama-comedy about a psychiatrist whose state of mind and personal life are as messed up as his clients’. By the creators of Ted Lasso and featuring Jason Segel and Harrison Ford. Who apparently does offbeat comedy now.

Two episodes in and whilst fairly formulaic, it’s easy watching and passable enough. 6.5/10 I’d say.

I’m currently trying Dear Edward. Only seen the first episode, which it seems is setting the series. Could go anywhere from here I suppose, I just hope it’s nothing like Lost.

Back
Top Bottom