Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apple TV+ recommendations?

One a week, they are also longer episodes this time (well ep1 definitely is and I've heard others are)
We rewatched the last episode of S2 tonight in preparation, and I’d completely forgotten it was a double length one. I was pleased to see episode 1 of S3 is also in the 40-minute territory.

One of those shows so joyful that even if you predict the plot well in advance, it’s so satisfying it doesn’t matter one bit.

Discovered tonight that we have a six months of Apple TV free with our Sky. Hurrah! We can watch Ted Lasso Season 3 :cool: Had already caned a previous free trial for Slow Horses, so had to set up a new account.

Forty five minutes later and an endless loop of QRs, texted verification codes, repeated Apple ID log ins and general frustration we gave up and will try again tomorrow :mad: :facepalm: :D

Just started the brand new comedy series The Big Door Prize, which has an interesting premise and seemly excellent reviews, and stars the great Chris O’Dowd to boot, spot on in this so far,. A machine mysteriously appears in the grocery store of a small sleepy US town that appears to somehow predict the true life potential of anyone who plays it, which invariably starts to affect and change the town’s residents.

Just finished the first episode. Intriguing and feels like it has a lot of potential as the series progresses, so an early recommendation from me. First three episodes available now, then weekly.

Just started the brand new comedy series The Big Door Prize, which has an interesting premise and seemly excellent reviews, and stars the great Chris O’Dowd to boot, spot on in this so far,. A machine mysteriously appears in the grocery store of a small sleepy US town that appears to somehow predict the true life potential of anyone who plays it, which invariably starts to affect and change the town’s residents.

Just finished the first episode. Intriguing and feels like it has a lot of potential as the series progresses, so an early recommendation from me. First three episodes available now, then weekly.

I'm going to give this a try because so far, everything I've watched on Apple TV has been excellent.

I didn’t know at all they were marking another season of the absurdly enjoyable comedy musical series Schmigadoon, so I was very pleased to receive an alert today that the first episode of S2 has just dropped. Will report after I watch it.

Also, this week’s episode of Ted Lasso is bloody good- by far the best this season.

The first two episodes of S2 of Schmigadoon are as good if not better than the first season. Highly recommended if you like musicals. If you don't, recommended anyway.

Tetris. Brilliant, When I first heard of this film I had my reservations, because I thought it was going to be a boring bio about nerds. But it’s actually pretty much an international political thriller. Whereas a few bits have been embellished, the overall story is true, and a fascinating tale at that.

Not super amazing but a solid 7/10 at the least.

This week’s episode of Ted Lasso (Amsterdam) should actually be prescribed as an anti-depressant. Smiled ear to ear throughout like a fool. Arguably the best episode of the entire series :)
Haha, I came here to say it was the first mistep in 4 series and was a bit naff, esp the ‘drugs’ scenes and the jazz club scenes - found them pretty toe-curling, as were Rebecca’s scenes on the houseboat

Haha, I came here to say it was the first mistep in 4 series and was a bit naff, esp the ‘drugs’ scenes and the jazz club scenes - found them pretty toe-curling, as were Rebecca’s scenes on the houseboat
We had actually been in agreement rather often of late, so good to see normal service is resumed between us :)

One of the selling points of Ted Lasso throughout has been its feel-good factor. This episode had imo pretty much the same DNA as various others throughout the show. It just had more of it than most, which perhaps is not surprising given that the last couple of episodes had been particularly heavy on the downside end of the scale.

Don’t know if you noticed it, but I particularly loved the Pulp Fiction homage when Ted walks into the American restaurant.

We had actually been in agreement rather often of late, so good to see normal service is resumed between us :)

One of the selling points of Ted Lasso throughout has been its feel-good factor. This episode had imo pretty much the same DNA as various others throughout the show. It just had more of it than most, which perhaps is not surprising given that the last couple of episodes had been particularly heavy on the downside end of the scale.

Don’t know if you noticed it, but I particularly loved the Pulp Fiction homage when Ted walks into the American restaurant.
The problem with Ted Lasso is that the feel good factor is piled on so heavily that by now, it's all it's got. Characters that started quite sweet and fun are now annoying and boring. Even coach Beard's little quips are boring and obvious. And don't get me started on Nate's story arc. It's fucking bollocks.

I haven't watched the Amsterdam episode though so I might change my mind.

The problem with Ted Lasso is that the feel good factor is piled on so heavily that by now, it's all it's got. Characters that started quite sweet and fun are now annoying and boring. Even coach Beard's little quips are boring and obvious. And don't get me started on Nate's story arc. It's fucking bollocks.

I haven't watched the Amsterdam episode though so I might change my mind.
Mmm… if the feel-good factor is bothering you, the Amsterdam episode is unlikely to win you over :D

Frankly, I’ve had far a bigger issue with the absurd overblown Zava worshipping by the rest of the players. That simply does not happen at Premier League level, not even with the minnow clubs, no matter how good any given player might be performing.

I know Zava is a blatant characterisation of real-life prima donna player Ibrahimovic, but I’d like to think that even those watching this show who don’t follow football at all would still realise that character and the way he’s perceived by his peers is embarrassingly bad, implausible, and noticeably below par writing in an otherwise solid series.

Mmm… if the feel-good factor is bothering you, the Amsterdam episode is unlikely to win you over :D

Frankly, I’ve had far a bigger issue with the absurd overblown Zava worshipping by the rest of the players. That simply does not happen at Premier League level, not even with the minnow clubs, no matter how good any given player might be performing.

I know Zava is a blatant characterisation of real-life prima donna player Ibrahimovic, but I’d like to think that even those watching this show who don’t follow football at all would still realise that character and the way he’s perceived by his peers is embarrassingly bad, implausible, and noticeably below par writing in an otherwise solid series.
Totally agree. In fact, one of the reasons I liked the first two seasons were that the football stories were quite well done (as long as you remember this is an American sit com at heart) but the zava stuff as well as the nate/west ham stuff is just ludicrous, poorly written shite.

Just read about a new series on Apple that sounds good.

"If you're looking for the plot that's the surest to suck people in, you could do worse than centering on a contest. Be it Rocky, Pitch Perfect or Squid Game, such stories possess a built-in suspense and drama. They make us ask, "Who's going to win?"

This question comes luxuriously bottled in Drops of God, a pleasurable new Apple TV+ mini-series about a contest set in the world of upmarket wine with its connoisseur vintages, voluminous snobberies and undercurrents of business chicanery. Although the basic idea is taken from a hit Japanese manga, the show is a French-made production that changes the story in huge ways. Where this comic ran a seemingly endless 44 volumes, the series clocks in at eight episodes and — amazingly — it actually ends there. More importantly, the series changes the lead character from a Japanese man to a French woman..."

Calling ATOMIC SUPLEX tagging you because I know you love all things Japanese, don't know if you have Apple TV though.

I have started a 6 month free trail today and am 5 episodes into Ted Lasso.

How do they manage to write a character that is so wholesome and twee but without being sickly sweet and making me want to hate him?

It's so well done.

I have started a 6 month free trail today and am 5 episodes into Ted Lasso.

How do they manage to write a character that is so wholesome and twee but without being sickly sweet and making me want to hate him?

It's so well done.
Yeah, I always have my suspicions when I hear the term ‘feel-good comedy’ , but this series truly has got the balance spot on.

Heads up to everyone. I knew nothing of this series until I saw a trailer for it last week, but dystopian future sci-fi drama series Silo might be the next big thing. Excellent reviews across the board. Ten minutes in and already liking it a lot.

IMG_4481.jpeg

Heads up to everyone. I knew nothing of this series until I saw a trailer for it last week, but dystopian future sci-fi drama series Silo might be the next big thing. Excellent reviews across the board. Ten minutes in and already liking it a lot.

View attachment 373911
I'm 100% sure they are putting poison gas in the suit which leads to those wanting to leave passing out

View attachment 373911
Watched the first episode this evening, a good start I must say.

Back
Top Bottom