Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apple TV+ recommendations?

Oh, has it got stuff on it? I thought it was just a way to cast what’s on your phone onto your TV! (Which come to think of it is a pretty daft thing to want to do. 🤦).

I had a free subscription but could never make it work, then my wife bought a iPad with a free subscription linked to her account, but that never worked either. My brother had the same problem.

Really loved Ted Lasso - it’s perfect for these troubled times. A series with some nice people in it who you root for. Even the dislikable characters have their reasons for behaving the way they do.
it’s got such a great ensemble cast and they’re given such great words to say. Funny and more moving than I want to ever give a comedy about an American Football coach taking charge of a London Premiere League team
Ted Lasso is the best thing on ATV at the moment, imo. Brilliant feel good telly.

I watched the first two seasons of "For All Mankind" over the last couple of weeks and it's my new favourite show. The first season got mixed to positive reviews, the second one got raves, so it only got my attention recently. The premise is brilliant. It's about an alternate history where the Russians landed first on the Moon in 1969, which spurns a space race between the US and Russia where NASA never stopped going to the moon and the cold war becomes about colonising the moon.

Nice to have an alternate history show which comes up with other than "Hitler won the war" and the execution is first rate. Production values are amazing, the first season plays like Mad Men meets The Right Stuff. I love how everything is based on existing NASA technology, it feels grounded in plausible science. The thing which may put people off initially is that this is a character based drama first, rather than a sci-fi action show. The first season starts out slow but then gets going in the middle, when it introduces a group of female astronauts in training who become great characters over the course of the series. The second season, where to cold war moves to the moon, is fantastic.

My only quibble is that they have to find plot lines for the top billed character's earthbound wife, which end up a little soapy, but it's a minor one.

A 3rd season is in the works and the 2nd season cliff hanger has me very excited where it's going.

Last edited:
My only quibble is that they have to find plot lines for the top billed character's earthbound wife, which end up a little soapy, but it's a minor one.

Her subplots were a slightly annoying, as you say. Became bit more bearable after she hit the weed. Who knows where she'll go after banging her dead son's best mate :thumbs:

To be fair though, all the other characters are frickin astronauts

Her subplots were a slightly annoying, as you say. Became bit more bearable after she hit the weed. Who knows where she'll go after banging her dead son's best mate :thumbs:

To be fair though, all the other characters are frickin astronauts
That's why it doesn't matter that much, I just either didn't quite believe some of the storylines they come up with for her or they were too melodramatic. I liked her
slowly developing friendship with Molly Cobb's husband Wayne though.

That's why it doesn't matter that much, I just either didn't quite believe some of the storylines they come up with for her or they were too melodramatic. I liked her
slowly developing friendship with Molly Cobb's husband Wayne though.
I never like those perfect wholesome american characters anyway. But yes, she started getting more interesting at that point

It's a really great show. Love the references to real events and even contemporary ('Pathfinder') tech. Not afraid to kill off a character or two which is generally telling over the long run of a show's quality

I watched the first two seasons of "For All Mankind" over the last couple of weeks and it's my new favourite show. The first season got mixed to positive reviews, the second one got raves, so it only got my attention recently. The premise is brilliant. It's about an alternate history where the Russians landed first on the Moon in 1969, which spurns a space race between the US and Russia where NASA never stopped going to the moon and the cold war becomes about colonising the moon.

Nice to have an alternate history show which comes up with other than "Hitler won the war" and the execution is first rate. Production values are amazing, the first season plays like Mad Men meets The Right Stuff. I love how everything is based on existing NASA technology which they could come come up with, it feels grounded in plausible science. The thing which may put people off initially is that this is a character based drama first, rather than a sci-fi action show. The first season starts out slow but then gets going in the middle, when it introduces a group of female astronauts in training who become great characters over the course of the series. The second season, where to cold war moves to the moon, is fantastic.

A 3rd season is in the works and the 2nd season cliff hanger has me very excited where it's going.

I watched the first series when it first came out. It was ok but I found the 'right-on' messaging too laboured. It's like an equal opportunities infomercial and a bit preachy. Yes, female astronauts. One's in a lesbian relationship. We get it. Move on.

Last edited:
I watched the first series when it first came out. It was ok but I found the 'right-on' messaging more like an equal opportunities infomercial and a bit preachy. Yes, female astronauts. One's in a lesbian relationship. We get it. Move on.
Totally disagree that it's preachy. The space race was always about the first dog/man/woman/civilian/people of colour in space. The "firsts" were publicity gains which always got NASA media attention and then more funding, it's entirely in keeping the programme. The female teacher in the Challenger disaster got all the publicity before that ill fated mission. So them training female astronauts is not just plausible but thats what would have happened.

And what's wrong with having a lesbian character to remind us how shitty the politics and career prospects of out LGBTQ+ folks were? They were not allowed to hold high military or government positions because they were considered a security risk due to the danger of blackmail. That's what her plotline is about and it's kept historically accurate, there were lots of closeted high ranking officials like her. What I like about the show is that while the space race advances, the politics and attitudes are still in keeping with their time.

I see it as the opposite. They've transplanted today's values into a 60s/70s period drama.
We've had female astronauts, only it was a decade later than in the show because the space programme didn't advance at the same rate. Lesbians in high ranking positions (and in far lesser jobs) had to stay in the closet, totally a fact. Remember Don't Ask Don't Tell ?, that was not so long ago. The characters in For All Mankind hold misogynist, homophobic and racist views, which is historically accurate. The show doesn't and if it did, I wouldn't watch it.

Welcome back, btw.

Have you been away or have I not been paying attention?
I decided to stay off social media, forums, etc to concentrate on renovating my flat (results in the suburban forum). A week ago I broke bones in both of my hands in a bicycle accident. With both arms in plaster casts and just a thumb and index finger to play with on each hand, boredom drove me back here. I probably won't be hanging around for long...

I decided to stay off social media, forums, etc to concentrate on renovating my flat (results in the suburban forum). A week ago I broke bones in both of my hands in a bicycle accident. With both arms in plaster casts and just a thumb and index finger to play with on each hand, boredom drove me back here. I probably won't be hanging around for long...

Can’t argue with that but I will miss your posts on film etc. Get well soon.

I finally watched the Beastie Boys Story
fantastic. highly recommend that if you've even just a passing interest in the band or that era of music.

anyone watched the Bruce Springsteen Letter to You doc? it's the only other thing on my watch queue before the free year expires.

As a matter of general principle I still refuse to buy an Apple TV box to watch their content on my TV. Despite their claims on the Apple website I have simply found it impossible to stream content from Apple TV to any of my non-Apple devices.

So I guess I will either watch any of it when we go on holiday and have nothing more than our iPad with us, or just let our subscription expire. Bunch of fucking cunts

As a matter of general principle I still refuse to buy an Apple TV box to watch their content on my TV. Despite their claims on the Apple website I have simply found it impossible to stream content from Apple TV to any of my non-Apple devices.

So I guess I will either watch any of it when we go on holiday and have nothing more than our iPad with us, or just let our subscription expire. Bunch of fucking cunts
Do you have a games console? I can watch on my PS4. I think it's on Xbox too.

Do you have a games console? I can watch on my PS4. I think it's on Xbox too.
I do have an Xbox. About 12 years old. But it certainly doesn’t work with our 2 y.o. Sony tv, whether when trying screen mirroring or direct cable connection.

The thing is we can sometimes project the home screen of our iPhone or iPad to the TV. Or even log in to our Apple TV website account on a Windows laptop. So it does allow some content to show on non-Apple devices. But invariably if we try to watch an Apple TV series on our TV it just stops working. But if I just wanted to look at my iPhone screen on my TV, funnily enough it works fine for as long as I don’t try to stream shit.

You still don’t have a Firestick? It’s an absolute must for anyone who’s into tv and film. The best £20 you’ll ever spend.

It’s just an app. Anything you can watch Netflix on you can probably watch Apple TV+ It’s even a native app on my Samsung tv.

Back
Top Bottom