Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apple TV+ recommendations?

It’s just an app. Anything you can watch Netflix on you can probably watch Apple TV+ It’s even a native app on my Samsung tv.
Didn't work on my samsung telly, but also wouldn't log in on my mac laptop. Didn't even work on the new ipad that my wife got a free subscription with.

I watched the first series when it first came out. It was ok but I found the 'right-on' messaging too laboured. It's like an equal opportunities infomercial and a bit preachy. Yes, female astronauts. One's in a lesbian relationship. We get it. Move on.
Only brining this up again as there was some news about her and I only just read up on her. The first American woman in space was Sally Ride, a lesbian who during her career stayed in the closet and was in a (presumably) sham marriage to a man, just like her fictional counterpart. Looks like history may be too right on and preachy as well. :p

Last edited:
I think there may be some confusion of Apple TV with Apple TV +
Yes. Apple has a physical device called Apple TV that costs about £99 and gracefully allows you to easily stream content from your iPhone/pad/MacBook. I lack such device, but have a year’s subscription to their streaming channel, namely Apple TV+.

I have so far been unsuccessful in watching ATV+ on a non Apple device. I refuse to pay £99 to buy their box in order to do so. I might eventually heed Spymaster ’s advice and buy a firestick, but it’s not so much a question of cost but of general principle, and I am not giving up yet.

Schmigadoon! A new comedy mini-series. Instead of describing it in any detail I will just say this

If you even vaguely like musicals and especially musical comedies, you will fucking love it.

If you don’t like musicals but have generally enjoyed the odd musical comedy in the past, such as the likes of Avenue Q or The Producers, you will almost certainly love it.

If you absolutely hate musicals you’re likely a wrong one anyway, but if you’re partial to well written and produced light entertainment comedies such as The Good Place, you’re actually still very likely to enjoy this despite its musical numbers.

Po-faced cunts need not apply :)

Good first episode. I only vaguely remember the books, so can’t remember whereabouts I gave up when it became too boring.

Loving Foundation. Excellent show. Keep reading reviews online saying the pacing is slow. I don't give a shit. I like the slow burn of the episodes. Wish each episodes were even longer.

Loving Foundation. Excellent show. Keep reading reviews online saying the pacing is slow. I don't give a shit. I like the slow burn of the episodes. Wish each episodes were even longer.

Book wankers managed to cope with a female character replacing a male one, but they're throwing their toys out of the pram after episode three featured a sex scene that wasn't in the book, and yes, after 20 minutes was spent on something that isn't directly relevant to advancing the plot. Wankers.

Ted Lasso is seriously one of the most surprisingly good shows of recent years.

Really? I watched the first two episodes yesterday and thought it was lame. Just full of hackneyed characters and lazily observed 'us and them' stereotypes for comedy purposes. The only bits I liked where the location shots around Richmond Green.

Stick with it. For me it’s nothing less than superb- one of the greatest comedy series in a long, long time.

Stick with it. For me it’s nothing less than superb- one of the greatest comedy series in a long, long time.
I agree - it's outstanding by the end of the first series (as long as you don't get too hung up on how unrealistic the football stuff is).

2 episodes into Ted Lasso and laughed out loud several times (the shower joke at the end of the 2nd episode proper caught me off guard :D).

I'll watch anything by Bill Lawrence after Scrubs and Spin City, but even by those standards it's off to a good start.

2 episodes into Ted Lasso and laughed out loud several times (the shower joke at the end of the 2nd episode proper caught me off guard :D).

I'll watch anything by Bill Lawrence after Scrubs and Spin City, but even by those standards it's off to a good start.
And it'll just get better and better with every passing episode :)

Been enjoying Foundation so far. Like DotCommunist in the dedicated thread, I'm sceptical of the whole Psychohistory concept, but the series itself looks fantastic, the acting is good, and so far the story is intriguing enough to keep me watching week to week.

I'm also watching Invasion - a ten part series telling the story of an alien invasion from five different perspectives. It looks a million dollars, and it's pretty well done. Two episodes in and looking forward to seeing the complete annihilation of human civilisation play out in the episodes to come (maybe).

Been enjoying Foundation so far. Like DotCommunist in the dedicated thread, I'm sceptical of the whole Psychohistory concept, but the series itself looks fantastic, the acting is good, and so far the story is intriguing enough to keep me watching week to week.

I'm also watching Invasion - a ten part series telling the story of an alien invasion from five different perspectives. It looks a million dollars, and it's pretty well done. Two episodes in and looking forward to seeing the complete annihilation of human civilisation play out in the episodes to come (maybe).

Same on both counts. :thumbs:

Acapulco. A very enjoyable feelgood comedy series, as satisfying and watchable as Ted Lasso. Highly recommended :)

Acapulco. A very enjoyable feelgood comedy series, as satisfying and watchable as Ted Lasso. Highly recommended :)

Tried this on your recommendation. Not convinced after the first episode. Does it get better?

I’ve cancelled my Apple TV. I just didn’t watch it enough to make it worth the cost now I no longer get it free.

Really enjoying The Shrink Next Door. Will Ferrell is excellent, and Paul Rudd is a tremendously manipulative arsehole, who retains just enough humanity to make you realise why people fall for his charm.

I'm assuming it's going to be just the one series, as based on a true story, but well worth watching, for sure.

Swan Song, science fiction film about cloning starring Mahershala Ali. I thought the near-future was well imagined and designed but the reason for the cloning didn't make sense to me, was dramatically inert and the whole thing becomes rather maudlin.

I’ve cancelled my Apple TV. I just didn’t watch it enough to make it worth the cost now I no longer get it free.
I had three free runs of it, but not one member of our family could ever get the bloody thing to work on any device.

Just bought a new Appletv and it’s telling me I have three months free Appletv+, so I guess I’ll dip my toe in the water and see what’s on there.

The only thing I know that id like to watch on there is to revisit Long Way Round and Long Way Down, both of which I saw years ago. And if there are any new Long Way… series which popped up in the meantime, maybe they’ll be on there too.

Two thirds into S1 of Mythic Quest, and it’s getting really good. First few episodes were perfectly watchable, mind, if not necessarily justifying the high praise I’d heard about the series from others. But it keeps improving and growing on you, just like the likes of Community or The US Office does :)

I’m getting towards the end of the epic road trip Long Way Up and recommend it. Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman riding electric motorbikes from the southern tip of South America up to Los Angeles.

The early episodes are too dominated by their charging angst, as they fail to get to grips with the reality of needing a reliable electricity source each evening. But after that it settles into an enjoyable series with the same laid back, feel good vibe as their earlier round the world bike trips Long Way Round and Long way Down.

Back
Top Bottom