Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apple TV+ recommendations?

nagapie if you need an incentive to watch Severance, Urban Industries will throw you a music/dance experience when you have completed 75% of the first season.
I've already watched 3 or 4 episodes, feel like I'm missing something.
It better be a good music/dance experience, I have high standards.

I've already watched 3 or 4 episodes, feel like I'm missing something.
It better be a good music/dance experience, I have high standards.

It will be the best music/dance experience of your severed life, just as the melon bar Urban provided after you finished the second episode would have been literally beyond compare.

I signed up to watch Slow Horses, very good but not as amazing as lead to believe bar Gary Oldman.
Then watched Bad Sisters, which I very much enjoyed.
But now can't seem to see anything else to make it worth staying on for.
Gave The Morning Show a try but honestly couldn't give a fuck.
Tried Severance but it's so slow without much character development.
Everything else recommended looks like sci fi, which I don't enjoy.
Anything else or am I done here?
TMS really is better season two onward. There’s also Calls, Foundation, Invasion, Constellation, Acapulco, Ted Lasso…

There's an awful to of sci-fi being recommended here to someone who said they dont enjoy sci-fi....

And lots of things that I thought were alright (Blackbird, Constellation, Silo, even TMS), but weren't brilliant and wroth subscribing for. TMS was much better than I expected, I should go back and carry on from the half series I bothered with

High Desert, High Desert is the next best thing i've seen on there, I think.

I didn't even read that bit tbh, but to hell with that, a good show is a good show
That might be true for you but it's really not for me.
Can't be dealing with sci fi, horror and fantasy - they don't appeal. Also most anything too actiony and plot driven, I need character development. Humour can get away without that if it's funny.

I didn’t realise I’d finished Constellation: I was looking for the next episode. It was reasonably entertaining, but I got very confused about what was happening in which reality, and in the end I didn’t really care. And it didn’t really explain itself. Was there one Gagarin in the room upstairs or two? Does it matter? I don’t think so. How many children’s tape recorders were there? Three? Because each reality has one even after one melted.

I couldn’t stick Severance. It was boring.

nagapie Ted Lasso. I've watched season one this week, will be watching the rest of it over the weekend. Tbh, I'd put off watching it for ages because the premise didn't really appeal - American football coach coaches UK soccer team. Some of the characters are a bit cliché but they lean into it and have fun with that. It's a bit cheesy and heartwarming but the writing is very good, some zinging one liners and it's laugh out loud funny in parts.

It’s got mixed reviews, but enjoying Palm Royale so far.

As an aside thought, Ricky Martin is in it and looks remarkably like Alan Ritchson aka Jack Reacher :)

I signed up to watch Slow Horses, very good but not as amazing as lead to believe bar Gary Oldman.
Then watched Bad Sisters, which I very much enjoyed.
But now can't seem to see anything else to make it worth staying on for.
Gave The Morning Show a try but honestly couldn't give a fuck.
Tried Severance but it's so slow without much character development.
Everything else recommended looks like sci fi, which I don't enjoy.
Anything else or am I done here?

Lessons in Chemistry is brilliant - period piece like Madmen but set around the life of a fictional female chemist in the early 1950s. (It's fiction and there's science, but it's NOT science-fiction!)
It's quite quirky and well worth a watch IMO, I did the entire 8 episode thing in one day, N is now working his way through it and also loving it.

We were late to the Slow Horses party, but it’s not bad at all, and watching the penultimate episode of season three this afternoon we were blown away by the lengths gone to in painting Ho as the dickiest dick imaginable. Sat in his spoiler-festooned illuminated dickmobile, he was listening to a completely absurd soft-metal song about Alexander the Great “utterly beating the armies of Persia”, which we assumed had been written specially for the show, as real-world songwriting would never aspire to Ho levels of dickishness. That’s why we give Apple money, we agreed: their attention to detail is unparalleled.

Later, googling what I could remember of the lyrics to see if critics had been similarly impressed, I found out about Iron Maiden.

Has anyone started watching Sugar yet?

Rave reviews on imdb but we found it dull, dull, dull, and binned it half way through the second episode.

Rave reviews on imdb but we found it dull, dull, dull, and binned it half way through the second episode.
Very slow and not gripping yet. But then Ripley felt the same to start with and got distinctly better come the fourth episode.

I would if I were you. I am astounded it got good reviews anywhere. Even the idiot Lucy Mangan thought it was awful - although maybe not until the twist.

Before we get to said twist, it is a half reasonable half absurd tosh show. It's almost a pastiche of hard boiled detective films and, if I tried harder, I could quite possibly work out which film each plot line is taken from. That would make it accidentally more entertaining.

By episode 5 we are getting to the twist. It has been hinted at, Sugar baby won't like it, and it's bad. Friends and enemies confusing bad. And its.... obviously got to wait for episode 6.

I am only watching now in the hope that the twist is really fucking out there mad. That the whole thing is a set up to test him, laid by interplanetary beings. That he is actually the, frozen but now reanimated, body of Sam Spade - who was a real person, oh yes. Or maybe he is an escaped psychiatric patient everyone is humouring to stop him doing/remembering bad things.

Either way, it's pretty bad.

I'm pretty sure I know what the twist will be.

A review from before it was made suggests that the series considered gender, so Farrell's character will probably turn out to be a woman. That would fit with stereotyping the super-caring demeanour, unwillingness to kiss/shag inebriated women, the injections, etc.

I'm pretty sure I know what the twist will be.

A review from before it was made suggests that the series considered gender, so Farrell's character will probably turn out to be a woman. That would fit with stereotyping the super-caring demeanour, unwillingness to kiss/shag inebriated women, the injections, etc.
hmm, not at all sure about that. It doesn't fit with what else has been going on, with the injections, his lack of awareness of the 'situation' and a few other things. I flicked through an earlier episode and there were some way bigger hints what it is. I am now going for a really fucking obvious (almost classic) twist.
He's dead. He lived on Heaven Lane. His dad's death looked suss. He can't connect with people - because he's dead.

hmm, not at all sure about that. It doesn't fit with what else has been going on, with the injections, his lack of awareness of the 'situation' and a few other things. I flicked through an earlier episode and there were some way bigger hints what it is. I am now going for a really fucking obvious (almost classic) twist.
He's dead. He lived on Heaven Lane. His dad's death looked suss. He can't connect with people - because he's dead.

That would be really shit :D

When will you find out?

Friday morning (I fucking well hope)

Oh yeah, forgot it was being drip-fed.

We waited for ages until there were plenty of episodes to binge. Started last night because there were 5, so were well disappointed by the shitness of it.

I'd be grateful if you'd tag me when you find out!

Well. I have watched the latest episode. It was mostly continuing on as before, just a bit more violently. There was one moment of thinking 'how the fuck did he do that?' but it soon passed.

So, in the last eight minutes we get a confrontation, discovering what is dodgy about the case. It's played as if that were the twist, which would just be massively crap. But, no! In the final moment we get the big reveal. And, boy, is it hilarious. I haven't laughed so much since the final episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

All I will say, is one of my theories is still in play. And not the last one.

Spymaster

So, in the last eight minutes we get a confrontation, discovering what is dodgy about the case. It's played as if that were the twist, which would just be massively crap. But, no! In the final moment we get the big reveal. And, boy, is it hilarious. I haven't laughed so much since the final episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Ah, come on!

Stick it in a spoiler.

Actually, it could be all of my theories combined!
That the whole thing is a set up to test him, laid by interplanetary beings. That he is actually the, frozen but now reanimated, body of Sam Spade - who was a real person, oh yes. Or maybe he is an escaped psychiatric patient everyone is humouring to stop him doing/remembering bad things.
He's an alien. Presumably Ruby & the other people in that posh society of linguists are too). He is under 'their' command, but seems to only half understand who they are[/spoiler[

Actually, it could be all of my theories combined!

He's an alien. Presumably Ruby & the other people in that posh society of linguists are too). He is under 'their' command, but seems to only half understand who they are[/spoiler[

No fucking way! :D

We were late to the Slow Horses party, but it’s not bad at all, and watching the penultimate episode of season three this afternoon we were blown away by the lengths gone to in painting Ho as the dickiest dick imaginable. Sat in his spoiler-festooned illuminated dickmobile, he was listening to a completely absurd soft-metal song about Alexander the Great “utterly beating the armies of Persia”, which we assumed had been written specially for the show, as real-world songwriting would never aspire to Ho levels of dickishness. That’s why we give Apple money, we agreed: their attention to detail is unparalleled.

Later, googling what I could remember of the lyrics to see if critics had been similarly impressed, I found out about Iron Maiden.
I actually know a real-life Roddy Ho . . . but I'm never going to say that to him, because he'd never speak to me again.

I’m vaguely interested in this new one Apple are promoting heavily - Dark Matter - a sci-fi thriller featuring different versions of Joel Edgerton in parallel universes. Or summat. The trailer is vague, which is a good thing, as they are often too forthcoming with plot details

Anyone tried The Big Cigar yet? It's one of those things that could/should be great, but I can imagine Apple fucking it up al too badly

Back
Top Bottom