Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apple TV+ recommendations?

And just finished this week's episode of Slow Horses. Somehow it keeps getting even better, even with the sparce screen presence of Gary Oldman. Can't believe we're nearly at the end of it. One of the best and ridiculously understated TV shows of the last few years.
I forgot there are only 6 episodes a season! 27th seems an odd day to release the final episode, but at least I'll have something to watch when I 'go to work' next week.

Might rewatch Tinker Tailor to see another side of Oldman.

For podcast listeners Will Smith the creator of SH was interviewed on The Watch podcast a couple of days ago.

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. Now, I can take or leave the Godzilla/ monster genre, more leave than take it, in fact. And I don’t think I’ve watched, or if I have I can’t remember, the Godzilla franchise film this series is an aftermath of.

So I decided to give the first episode a go with fairly low expectations, and I am as surprised as happy to report this is actually very good indeed, and orders of magnitude better than I’d expected. Told in several parallel timelines, this is (so far) all about good storytelling with a strong emphasis on character development, and a minimal amount of CGI monster presence. The complete opposite of what you would have expected a monster genre series to be. Enjoying the second episode just as much, and a totally unexpected thumbs up from me here :)
Just started watching it. It’s very shiny and has got great production values. The plot of course is silly and cobbled together but it pretty enjoyable. The era of prestige TV is well and truly over but the era of shiny pap isn’t a bad replacement.

I'm on S1E5 of Slow Horses, brilliant so far. Kristin Scott Thomas and the guy who plays River are good, and Gary Oldman is awfully good. Loving it so far.

ETA: I think the elevator pitch would be along the lines of Spooks mash up with Four Lions, where the spooks are as incompetent as the terrorists, but it's also darker.

Last edited:
I'm also thinking kudos to the location scout for Slow Horses. I know it's also down to the director/cinematographer to get the shots, but the location scout gave them some great locations to work with, some of the darker scenes are quite big screen/movie like.

There are some television series/films where a location is almost a character itself (although I can't think of any particular examples of that off the top of my head), but this is along those lines except the locations are members of a strong ensemble cast or scene stealing/memorable cameo/extras.

Anyway, now I fear I might've built that aspect up too much and it might be a disappointment, but it's one of those occasions where I recognise the work of the unsung heroes behind the scenes, like when I cottoned on to the work of colourists while watching Utopia and I'm left thinking 'Nicely done'.

I'm also thinking kudos to the location scout for Slow Horses. I know it's also down to the director/cinematographer to get the shots, but the location scout gave them some great locations to work with, some of the darker scenes are quite big screen/movie like.

There are some television series/films where a location is almost a character itself (although I can't think of any particular examples of that off the top of my head), but this is along those lines except the locations are members of a strong ensemble cast or scene stealing/memorable cameo/extras.

Anyway, now I fear I might've built that aspect up too much and it might be a disappointment, but it's one of those occasions where I recognise the work of the unsung heroes behind the scenes, like when I cottoned on to the work of colourists while watching Utopia and I'm left thinking 'Nicely done'.
Agree with this and especially about how location can be a character in and of itself.

I've got 3 months free sub to Apple TV as a result of ordering something from Currys.

Not going to turn down a free sub to a streaming service!

What should I be binge watching in that 3 months to get the best out of the free period?

I've got 3 months free sub to Apple TV as a result of ordering something from Currys.

What should I be binge watching in that 3 months to get the best out of the free period?

Slow Horses
The Morning Show
Hijack
Severance
Silo
Defending Jacob
Bad Sisters
Black Bird
Lessons in Chemistry
For All Mankind

^^^
They're all worth a watch, but if you have to cram in just a couple then Slow Horses, Severance, and For All Mankind are a step above.
I really wanted to love Silo, having read the original novellas, but it's good rather than great.

I quite enjoyed Platonic as well. It's a bit of nonsense but it made made me laugh in places.
I love Bad Sisters, Slow Horses, Severance and The Morning Show.

Ted Lasso

A Small Light
WandaVision
Fire of Love
Summer of Soul
The Beatles: Get Back
Isle of Dogs
The Princess Bride
Nomadland

Back
Top Bottom