Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apple TV+ recommendations?

I've just watched this, after signing up for the seven day free trial to do so. Must remember to cancel. Although I want to watch seasons 2 and 3 of The Morning Show too.
2 is alright. 3 was pretty crap as far as I was concerned.

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. Now, I can take or leave the Godzilla/ monster genre, more leave than take it, in fact. And I don’t think I’ve watched, or if I have I can’t remember, the Godzilla franchise film this series is an aftermath of.

So I decided to give the first episode a go with fairly low expectations, and I am as surprised as happy to report this is actually very good indeed, and orders of magnitude better than I’d expected. Told in several parallel timelines, this is (so far) all about good storytelling with a strong emphasis on character development, and a minimal amount of CGI monster presence. The complete opposite of what you would have expected a monster genre series to be. Enjoying the second episode just as much, and a totally unexpected thumbs up from me here :)

I've just cancelled my subscription this as they've bumped the prices up.
Apple are strict cunts at dripping episodes of any series one by one, so no sense in you rejoining now. I reckon doing so around 12-15 January will allow you to watch the entire season with a month’s subscription

Apple are strict cunts at dripping episodes of any series one by one, so no sense in you rejoining now. I reckon doing so around 12-15 January will allow you to watch the entire season with a month’s subscription
I may just source it from other means once a few episodes have been aired :)

Reactions: Chz
I'm not impatient. I tend to wait until it's all aired and just download a single torrent of the whole series. No oddities then, like having the subtitle tracks be in a different order or having Italian be the first language. (Yes, that's more of an anime problem but I have had it happen with regular series, too)

Just started slow horses, ended up staying up later than I should to watch the second one. Oldman is vile and great, its funny and very watchable. This and For All Mankind would be worth a the price of a sub if I had it (I don't, so torrents)

Third series is very good, though a bit annoyed by one particular situation that IMO they could have handled better. Good that they’re doing one a week too like proper telly.

Don’t you think they botched Spider’s comeuppance though? Not quite satisfying enough for me. And a bit too early in the series. Guess that’s how it happens in the books though
Yes! I was wondering from your previous post what you were referring to, but fully agree on that. He deserved to have been served a massive dose of karma first, and his death to have been not so fast and relatively painless. I would also argue that it's far too early in the season to off him. I thought he was a great antagonist character- the one you love to hate yet enjoy every of their interactions with the protagonists, anticipating he'll get his comeuppance in a most satisfying fashion at the business end of the season.

Another great episode today.

Not that's going to happen in a million years, but if Barbara Broccoli really wants to refresh the James Bond franchise, she should make Gary Oldman's character the next 007. Far better brains than any of the Bonds anyway. I'd most definitely pay cinema prices to watch that :D

Anyone spot the rather amusing plot hole? Yeah four episodes in and a great deal better than season two so far...

Do you mean apart from all the people who have been posting about it in the posts immediately above yours?

Yes, It's very good.
Didn't see the name mentioned and there wasn't anything in the previous few posts that on glance was obvious...🤷🏽‍♂️

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. Now, I can take or leave the Godzilla/ monster genre, more leave than take it, in fact. And I don’t think I’ve watched, or if I have I can’t remember, the Godzilla franchise film this series is an aftermath of.

So I decided to give the first episode a go with fairly low expectations, and I am as surprised as happy to report this is actually very good indeed, and orders of magnitude better than I’d expected. Told in several parallel timelines, this is (so far) all about good storytelling with a strong emphasis on character development, and a minimal amount of CGI monster presence. The complete opposite of what you would have expected a monster genre series to be. Enjoying the second episode just as much, and a totally unexpected thumbs up from me here :)
The earlier era has been better than modern day, the 'look cool young people' tropes are a little tedious...glad they've finally got it moving in the present though..!

Yeah I can't stand the drip feed either, if I didn't have A|TV+ as part of another sub I would just pay for a month or two each year to binge all the stuff worth watching...

Wasn’t sure on this but will give it a go. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom