Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apparently, Feminism is dead!!!

Hey, in my darkest hours when I'm having a relapse and have still had to go to work else there literally wouldn't be food on the table, having a husband to be the main breadwinner has never looked so appealing.
Probably small consolation to you, but in my busiest weeks when I've ended up running on caffeine and adrenaline, the idea of having somebody else (be they male or female) to do my running around for me has never looked so appealing.

over the last 5 years, iv'e gone from ebing the stay at home partner, ot having a stay at home partner. thre's a ot of other factors that are different about this relatiohship, but i'm much more comfy with the later role.

how repersentative is mumsnet of all women in the uk ,surely even when your of any age feminism still applies

how repersentative is mumsnet of all women in the uk ,surely even when your of any age feminism still applies
It's not the only source suggesting that younger women are increasingly more likely to dissociate themselves with feminism :(

Be interesting if that effect would be seen on here, however. I suspect it wouldn't, although certainly in the past there have been female posters who would not call themselves feminists.

It's not the only source suggesting that younger women are increasingly more likely to dissociate themselves with feminism :(
This makes me so cross... There are a bunch of youngsters at work who say they aren't feminists- but they have proper jobs, they can keep them when they marry, they can choose whether to marry or not, they can keep their own property if they marry, they can shag who they want before they marry, they can have children outside marriage.... They owe all of this to feminism. And yet they say 'oh, feminists were all really angry and didn't like being feminine and having fun- that whole burn your bra thing' (paraphrasing but the gist of a conversation I had).... WTF?

If feminism is declared dead on the basis not just of what mums (and no other women) say, but also on the basis of what only mums on Netmums say, then that's riddled with far more statistical/methological flaws then your average opinion poll.

To say the least.

Apols if the same point has already been repeatedly made earlier up, but I came to this thread very late.

This makes me so cross... There are a bunch of youngsters at work who say they aren't feminists- but they have proper jobs, they can keep them when they marry, they can choose whether to marry or not, they can keep their own property if they marry, they can shag who they want before they marry, they can have children outside marriage.... They owe all of this to feminism. And yet they say 'oh, feminists were all really angry and didn't like being feminine and having fun- that whole burn your bra thing' (paraphrasing but the gist of a conversation I had).... WTF?
It's a bit dangerous to put such things down to a single cause like that. I think the single biggest factor in changes in sexual attitudes, for instance, is a technological change - the pill. For the first time really, women could take charge of their own contraception.

What did happen to him?

Nothing. :( But in my head he ended up with a kettle up his arse. I'm just not very brave, that's why I end up seething and writing about it on here. He was visiting my office to visit 2 of my male colleagues. I didn't feel like I could say anything, after all I am the secretary.

In fact, when you think about it, tea and coffee making in the office is also a feminist issue in a way.

It's a bit dangerous to put such things down to a single cause like that. I think the single biggest factor in changes in sexual attitudes, for instance, is a technological change - the pill. For the first time really, women could take charge of their own contraception.
But would any of it have happened without feminism? We forget how bad it was when a woman wasn't even allowed a bank account without her father or husband standing guarantor... When the pill was first released, it was not available to married women who had children- that attitude was what feminism challenged

Nothing. :( But in my head he ended up with a kettle up his arse. I'm just not very brave, that's why I end up seething and writing about it on here. He was visiting my office to visit 2 of my male colleagues. I didn't feel like I could say anything, after all I am the secretary.

In fact, when you think about it, tea and coffee making in the office is also a feminist issue in a way.
Yep, and also the fact that girls are conditioned to not assert their needs, feelings and rights. Which isn't to say that no women don't, or that no men find this difficult (individual factors have a part to play), but as a general trend I think it's acurate. Even some apparently quite outspoken women I know will sometimes let things like this slide because they don't feel as though they can speak up.

Yep, and also the fact that girls are conditioned to not assert their needs, feelings and rights. Which isn't to say that no women don't, or that no men find this difficult (individual factors have a part to play), but as a general trend I think it's acurate. Even some apparently quite outspoken women I know will sometimes let things like this slide because they don't feel as though they can speak up.
Yeah, I'm quite confident and outspoken irl but a group of men can - and have - frequently left me feeling as though if I assert an opinion I would end up becoming a laughing stock. Sometimes it's easier just to keep your gob shut. I could hear my inner feminist shouting as I typed that, but it's true.

. Even some apparently quite outspoken women I know will sometimes let things like this slide because they don't feel as though they can speak up.
F*ck yes.... Women I work with, hugely impressive, experienced, clever and no nonsense, can face down the board of an international company....is emotionally bullied by her husband. It's almost like she's compensating for being 'unfeminine'

Sometimes I am glad to work in an all female workplace :eek:
I went to all girls school. I never want to end up in an all female environment again.... It isn't men per se that are the issue, just a bunch of social stuff, some men, some assumptions etc

I went to all girls school. I never want to end up in an all female environment again.... It isn't men per se that are the issue, just a bunch of social stuff, some men, some assumptions etc
FWIW having gone to a mixed sex school where some subjects were single sex for the first few years, a lot of the time there was less overt sexism from the teachers than from other pupils, but when it was there it was extremely noticeable.

Netmums who ran this survey (and chose this god-awful fucking font - they should be shot for that alone) is largely populated by women who like sparkly things and have tickers saying that it's 3 years 2 weeks and 4 days since they got married/had a baby/last had a shag.

I think feminism makes a lot of women feel massively uncomfortable because it challenges everything that their world is built around. The fact that the system you favour is absolutely undermining you is a pretty difficult concept.

Netmums who ran this survey (and chose this god-awful fucking font - they should be shot for that alone) is largely populated by women who like sparkly things and have tickers saying that it's 3 years 2 weeks and 4 days since they got married/had a baby/last had a shag.

I think feminism makes a lot of women feel massively uncomfortable because it challenges everything that their world is built around. The fact that the system you favour is absolutely undermining you is a pretty difficult concept.

I think that in some cases it's easier to denigrate feminism or minimize the role it played and plays in "real life" than to acknowledge how my h you owe it. Fuck, it's less than forty years ago that equal pay (hah!) was legislated, and yet how many of these fluffy pink non-feminists acknowledge that?

the kind of people whose only posts on facebook are about their snot nosed kids, as if anyone gives a fuck.

maybe I'm a bad person but I really couldn't give two shits about your sprogs, or if "your man" is taking you away to some shitty spa, post about something outside the banal private realm please, something other people can engage with. I'd rather your thoughts on xfactor than hear about what your little shit had for dinner, christ I even find photos of your cat more interesting.

as you can tell I'm just filled with paternal instincts.

*stifles the urge to head for the decontamination shower after agreeing with revol68* I don't hate children, what I hate is being expected to know where the nearest softplay area is just because I've got ovaries. What are they - sat nav combined with the yellow pages?

Here's a timely reminder of why feminism isn't dead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-20015793

Also women are much more likely to find themselves dependent on their partners during periods of unemployment, due to being far more likely to work in part-time, low-waged jobs and not earning enough to pay contributions therefore being unable to get JSA in their own right.

the kind of people whose only posts on facebook are about their snot nosed kids, as if anyone gives a fuck.

maybe I'm a bad person but I really couldn't give two shits about your sprogs, or if "your man" is taking you away to some shitty spa, post about something outside the banal private realm please, something other people can engage with. I'd rather your thoughts on xfactor than hear about what your little shit had for dinner, christ I even find photos of your cat more interesting.

as you can tell I'm just filled with paternal instincts.

Why be facebook friends with people you don't like?

This survey was done by Netmums, not Mumsnet.

I think actually the results of a Mumsnet survey would have been quite different, as the two sites seem to have quite different users. And Mumsnet has a large feminism forum.
Bloody confusing if you ask me. :D

Why be facebook friends with people you don't like?
Because FB friends aren't necessarily the same as RL friends, the same as messageboard friends and foes (the way some boards label people you PM a lot or have put on "ignore") aren't RL friends and foes. *this message was sponsored by the blindingly obvious*

I'm only facebook friends with people who are actually friends - or at least people I like! I find it a bit weird when adults have 300 random "friends" they don't really know.

I'm only facebook friends with people who are actually friends - or at least people I like! I find it a bit weird when adults have 300 random "friends" they don't really know.
Oh I know all of mine. But I'd hardly call godchildren (who are mine by dint of being the partner of somebody who's officially godfather to the eldest of half a dozen, and godfather to the rest out of fairness) friends. Even if they are the children of friends. Well maybe not so much friends as people who can call on me in an emergency and that goes both ways. *FFS stop digging!* :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom