Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone ferment fruit & vegetables?

Oh yeah I meant taste it to see if it's getting going yet. A week is nothing while it's this cold.

I see Kimchi recipes where they are like store in fridge and open in 3 days. I mean you might as well eat it as soon as it's made.

It will probably be fairly mild, a week isn't a load of time. I left my carrot two weeks before opening and think it needed longer. The red cabbage is still untouched and is on the three week mark. I've had kimichi months before opening.
I don't fancy it today anyway. Good news is that since I snapped the lid shut properly, it's began bubbling nicely. Top bits of cabbage poking out are going a funny colour, but I might leave it rather than keep opening it. Just skim the top bits off next time.

Can smell it now even with it properly shut 😁

I don't fancy it today anyway. Good news is that since I snapped the lid shut properly, it's began bubbling nicely. Top bits of cabbage poking out are going a funny colour, but I might leave it rather than keep opening it. Just skim the top bits off next time.

Can smell it now even with it properly shut 😁

Probably no harm here, but I try to avoid opening it till I'm ready and when I've done so I transfer to the fridge.

I use old GU pots as weights to stop the bits that stick out.

I leave the (screw top) lids loosely balanced on top and use my fingers to push any uncovered veg back down into the liquid every day or two :D

Probably no harm here, but I try to avoid opening it till I'm ready and when I've done so I transfer to the fridge.

I use old GU pots as weights to stop the bits that stick out.
Do you think I should remove those bits then?

I've got a couple of those pots. Just wash and put directly on top of the cabbage, then refrigerate yeh?

Do you think I should remove those bits then?

I've got a couple of those pots. Just wash and put directly on top of the cabbage, then refridgerate yeh?
No don't put it in the fridge now!

The uncovered bits will probably be fine if you push them down now, you could fish them out if you want though.

No don't put it in the fridge now!

The uncovered bits will probably be fine if you push them down now, you could fish them out if you want though.
Jesus. It's bloody fraught this fermentation lark!

When does it go in the fridge then?

Aye.

So, when does it go in the fridge then?
You can put it in the fridge once it's fermented enough for your taste, if you want. Personally I never bother because it reaches a kind of stasis after a while and stops getting any more fermented-tastey.

I'd leave it this time, but next time when you start the ferment.

I do once it's opened and I'm using it. Unopened they keep for a long time.
Too late! Been and done it now.

It's all an experiment for me, first time n all. If this doesn't work properly or I hate it, I'll try again with different flavours or veg.

They're really a rip-off for something that's so cheap to make yourself, but you can buy proper (not pasteurised) sauerkraut from some supermarkets now. Might be worth buying some as a one off just to check you don't actually hate it sojourner ?

E2a or kimchi, which is the same idea but very slightly more faff to make yourself as there's more ingredients.

The fresh stuff is relatively pricey. But I'm stingy and compare the huge jars I make.

The pasteurised stuff is dead cheap, obviously no probiotcs, but I keep a jar in the fridge at work to bulk up lunch.

I'm making it purely for the benefit to my gut microbiome, so no point to eating pasteurised. Wasn't expecting it to smell quite as powerful as this 🤣

Do you like spice sojourner? I make chilli sauces from time to time. I know that they are still live after months in the fridge as there's a pop when you open them. I maced myself with a scotch bonnet one once when opening it, which was about as fun as you can imagine.

When I first tried this years ago we did red and white cabbage. The white cabbage wasn't great and I've not really bothered again until NY. Anyway taking inspiration from the shop bought stuff, I grated it finely in the food processor and left it three weeks and it's worked really well. Plenty of fermented punch, but not over powering.

Do you like spice sojourner? I make chilli sauces from time to time. I know that they are still live after months in the fridge as there's a pop when you open them. I maced myself with a scotch bonnet one once when opening it, which was about as fun as you can imagine.
I do, but as said, I'm really only doing this for the health benefits, so I'll see how it goes with this one first before launching into anything else.

It's bubbling away nicely now anyway, since I latched the lid shut, and I can't smell such a strong aroma around it now either.

I do, but as said, I'm really only doing this for the health benefits, so I'll see how it goes with this one first before launching into anything else.

It's bubbling away nicely now anyway, since I latched the lid shut, and I can't smell such a strong aroma around it now either.

Sounds good. I've got back on it for the health benefits after not having them in for ages, but now we're serving them with most meals I'm remembering how much I enjoy them.

Finally had the courage to try my homemade sauerkraut. I'm delighted to say that the absolute stench died down, and although it does still have an aroma, it's not offensive, and it tastes fucking GREAT! Honestly! Wow, I am totally impressed with myself haha
😃

I'll report back later on what my bum thinks of it :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom