Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone ferment fruit & vegetables?

I've done betroot years ago when my partner was growing loads of it and it turned out ok, except the batch that wasn't. Don't actually know what I did other then stick chunks of it in brine, sorry.

Checked on my inaugural fermenting experiment (spring greens, onions and fresh garlic) just now, having left it in a dark cupboard for a couple of weeks. There was a layer of bluish mould on top, which made me think it was a write off, but after reading some fermentation sites I took their advice to scrape off the top layer and apply the smell/taste test...it tastes really good! :oops:

So now I have quite a bit of sauerkraut-like stuff that no one else will want to eat. Can I keep it in the fridge? Also, would love to know your serving suggestions for this kind of thing.

Yes, keep it the fridge now. I've read similar regards mold. I'm not against eating the stuff underneath but when I've tried it's always had a funky taste.

So now I have quite a bit of sauerkraut-like stuff that no one else will want to eat. Can I keep it in the fridge? Also, would love to know your serving suggestions for this kind of thing.
You can keep it in the fridge if you want but it isn't necessary ime - I've left jars in the back of the cupboard for a couple of years and they're still good when I rediscover them. They eventually reach a kind of stasis and stop getting more fermented.

I like chucking a few spoonfuls on top of stuff like dal and stew, or eating them as a side/condiment instead of, or as well as, pickles (both kinds - branston etc and gherkins etc). Spring onions, onions & garlic would be good with ramen and bean salads and maybe even mixed into a light pasta dish with other non-fermented veg but no heavy sauces, I reckon.

Had an afternoon of making ferments shortly after NY as it's been to long. Did red cabbage, white cabbage and carrot (as separate ferments). Cracked open the grated carrot one last night as it's normally the quickest. It's nice to have them back in stock, go well with most meals and probably healthy.

Been quite enjoying store bought kimchi, but it's quite expensive for the good stuff. Need to do a big batch of that, but it's the most time consuming of all the ones I do.

Found a big ole Kilner jar under the bed that had been used for storing merch money, so gave it a proper washing yesterday.

Gonna start sauerkraut tonight for the first time!
You might want to properly sterilise the jar in the oven like you would for jam making, if you're someone who's funny about food hygiene or the possibility of a tiny bit of mould on top

You might want to properly sterilise the jar in the oven like you would for jam making, if you're someone who's funny about food hygiene or the possibility of a tiny bit of mould on top

I'm not opposed to a bit of mold in theory (weird as it can look). I mean Sandor Katz says its ok. My issue is when I've had it happen and just removed it, there's a slightly off taste to the rest of the ferment.

I stick them through the dishwasher and then leave them to soak for a bit with some of that Milton stuff that's used for cleaning babies bottles.

I'm apposed to a bit of mold as such (weird as it can look). I mean Sandor Katz says its ok. My issue is when I've had it happen and just removed it, there's a slightly off taste to the rest of the ferment.

I stick them through the dishwasher and then leave them to soak for a bit with some of that Milton stuff that's used for cleaning babies bottles.
Only time that's ever happened to me was an experimental jar that was mostly orange peel. It's lush as an addition to carrot, but hard to make it work on its own.

Yeah dishwasher on a hot cycle should be fine too if soj has one.

Won't the rubber seal go a bit melty?
Nope.

What's so different about using a dishwasher instead of just washing it in really hot water?
You can boil the seals. I don't have a dishwasher but I assumed they'd have a cycle that uses hotter water than what would come out of a hot tap, or you could tolerate washing stuff by hand.

I have used unsterilised jars before but I'm pretty relaxed about mould compared to most people :D It's not much hassle to stick them in the oven for a bit after washing them.

You can boil the seals. I don't have a dishwasher but I assumed they'd have a cycle that uses hotter water than what would come out of a hot tap, or you could tolerate washing stuff by hand.

I have used unsterilised jars before but I'm pretty relaxed about mould compared to most people :D It's not much hassle to stick them in the oven for a bit after washing them.
Ta. Do you mean remove them and boil them?

Think I'll just leave it in boiling hot water with a bit of bleach in. I use normal household bleach for demi johns for liqueurs, and they've always been fine.

Right, it's been a week, I just opened the sauerkraut and an intense smell is now all over the kitchen 😅 Can't see any bubbles or owt. Is it meant to bubble? It's in a kilner jar, which I left unhinged but lid shut, with a secured teatowel round it, as per Timmy Spector's recipe.

It's just got garlic, fresh chillis, sea salt, white cabbage and cooled boiled water in.

I'm too scared to try it 😄

Right, it's been a week, I just opened the sauerkraut and an intense smell is now all over the kitchen 😅 Can't see any bubbles or owt. Is it meant to bubble? It's in a kilner jar, which I left unhinged but lid shut, with a secured teatowel round it, as per Timmy Spector's recipe.

It's just got garlic, fresh chillis, sea salt, white cabbage and cooled boiled water in.

I'm too scared to try it 😄

Bubbling is ok, I think.

If it starts getting hot or starts glowing I’m pretty sure that’s bad.

Right, it's been a week, I just opened the sauerkraut and an intense smell is now all over the kitchen 😅 Can't see any bubbles or owt. Is it meant to bubble?
I've never used brine so I could be wrong but I imagine bubbles wouldn't be that visible since they can just rise to the surface.

If your kitchen's quite cold it might take a while to get going this time of year. Only way to know is to taste it.

Ta, I'll try it tomorrow. Got a gig tonight, don't fancy shitting meself on stage if it goes horribly wrong 😅

It will probably be fairly mild, a week isn't a load of time. I left my carrot two weeks before opening and think it needed longer. The red cabbage is still untouched and is on the three week mark. I've had kimichi months before opening.

Back
Top Bottom