Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone ferment fruit & vegetables?

More importantly what do they taste like?
I'll be honest, they didn't taste much different to any other chickpea. There was definitely fermentation going on somewhere by the smell but no noticeable change in the chickpeas themselves. I made them into hummus just now, which tastes good, but I have no idea whether it would be just as good if I'd simply made it from the freshly boiled ones.

I'm just pickling savoy cabbage now, there seems to be plenty of that around and it works fine.

The pickled cauliflower and red cabbage combo was fantastic FYI. The cauli went pink and looked boss, and was crunchy yet firm, with a nice kind of gherkin flavour/texture. I am definitely doing that again.

Having tried a few other fermented things I have given up on kombucha (not convinced it is that healthy and prefer lactic acid to the vinegar flavour). I am still persevering with kefir grains however - kept in the fridge makes a good healthy drink alternative to water (no sugar, probiotic). Sourdough has also bit the dust. Not because I don't like the taste -the opposite. I found all I was doing was scoffing delicious bread - fatal for the waistline!

I am thinking of making my own natto. Apparently you can do it with a yoghurt maker, some soybeans, and a starter of some existing natto.

Yes I have started to actually like natto and of course it is super good for you even if it's clearly repulsive slime beans. It has quite a "distinctive" taste, but then I like fermented tofu, which is ten times as "distinctive".

I am thinking of making my own natto. Apparently you can do it with a yoghurt maker, some soybeans, and a starter of some existing natto.

Yes I have started to actually like natto and of course it is super good for you even if it's clearly repulsive slime beans. It has quite a "distinctive" taste, but then I like fermented tofu, which is ten times as "distinctive".

It's something I'm really curious to try. I like strong flavours, probably why I like ferments.

I'd love to do some barley after getting a tub of hodmodods, but haven't been able to find a recipe.

The pickled cauliflower and red cabbage combo was fantastic FYI. The cauli went pink and looked boss, and was crunchy yet firm, with a nice kind of gherkin flavour/texture. I am definitely doing that again.

Having tried a few other fermented things I have given up on kombucha (not convinced it is that healthy and prefer lactic acid to the vinegar flavour). I am still persevering with kefir grains however - kept in the fridge makes a good healthy drink alternative to water (no sugar, probiotic). Sourdough has also bit the dust. Not because I don't like the taste -the opposite. I found all I was doing was scoffing delicious bread - fatal for the waistline!

Love Soughdough. Had some half decent attempts a few years ago, but just don't have the time sadly.

Lazy man's Kimchi - Chinese cabbage (any cabbage will do really). Shred. Add to 4% brine with Gochugaru and a few frozen ginger and garlic paste blocks you can get in big Tescos or Asian supermarkets. 1 week in and tasting mighty fine...20210822_082115.jpg

Lazy man's Kimchi - Chinese cabbage (any cabbage will do really). Shred. Add to 4% brine with Gochugaru and a few frozen ginger and garlic paste blocks you can get in big Tescos or Asian supermarkets. 1 week in and tasting mighty fine...View attachment 284798

I really really need to make another huge batch, but keep putting it off as it feels like a proper job to make the paste. I do have an outrageously large bag of Korean Red pepper flakes to get through. I quite like the crunch daikon gives as well.

When I used to make it I mainly used Chinese cabbage. Cucumber, daikon and carrot were chucked in sometimes, always with spring onions.

Trad Kimchi involves rubbing the the veg with salt first to extract moisture and then rinsing before jarring. One thing I have always wondered is how you get the salt percentage right doing that method. Should be in the range 2-6% IIRC but how you would tell is beyond me.

Trad Kimchi involves rubbing the the veg with salt first to extract moisture and then rinsing before jarring. One thing I have always wondered is how you get the salt percentage right doing that method. Should be in the range 2-6% IIRC but how you would tell is beyond me.

This is how I've done it, but I gave it a fair bit longer to ferment. Not been brave enough to put sea food in it.

This is how I've done it, but I gave it a fair bit longer to ferment. Not been brave enough to put sea food in it.

With you on the seafood issue - fish sauce is as brave as I've been willing to be. IIRC bad bacteria doesn't like salt and low pH - hence why lactofermentation works, but don't want to be a guinea pig needlessly!

I see Maangchi salts and then rinses 3 times. I am not clear on what a rinse means, but maybe one of those things that you develop a knack for after many attempts. I have definitely made a batch of mouth-puckeringly salty Kimchi through following such a method, and it was frankly horrible - perhaps a case of learning-by-doing. I guess though that pre-salting is more efficient in terms of jar space as the plant material goes in pre-wilted.

One of these days I'll be brave enough to do it with fish. Pretty hard to poison yourself if just veg.

I thought it was the bacterial element that was the hazard as opposed to the veg. But yeah, I’d also be holding off the fish sauce til pretty confident.

I had some sort of spicy fiery fermented cabbage with dumplings the Chinese sailors made last night

Tasty but this thread gives me the fear. I’m not a particularly adventurous eater when it comes to “live” foods

Do I just hit up my local vegan shop and buy some or do you have to do it yourself

A friend has a massive jar in the kitchen that looks like a placenta/piece of leather in it, the mother apparently I can’t even look at it never mind eat/drink it, but I know I should be adding this stuff to my diet

Last edited:
I thought it was the bacterial element that was the hazard as opposed to the veg. But yeah, I’d also be holding off the fish sauce til pretty confident.

I'm pretty sure it's hard to do. You smell it or even see it. You see people online saying just scrape the mould off, but that's grim. Even a faint twang I throw it out. It's probably safe, just doesn't taste nice.

Luckily I've not had a batch of Kimchi go wrong as out of all the ferments I've done, that one is the most work.

Do you have a recipe by any chance? I've got a big old glut of them.
Its not v. purist - I just whack in a couple of those frozen garlic and ginger blocks, chopped up spring onion and a couple tbsps of gochugaru.
Then add 4% brine till the solids are pretty much submerged. Usually ready to eat from about 5 days depending on how warm the storage location - the flavour will develop over time tho. Jar is from Lakeland - has an airlock so you don't need to 'burp' the jar.

I love kimchi but am a bit wary of poisoning myself and others if I make it at home.
The beauty of lactofermentation is that the bad bacteria (e.g. botulism) do not like the salty low pH environment created by lactobacillae. As long as you are on the money with your brine concentration and just use veg the risk is basically IMO nonexistent.

Though I do get that eating something that has been left for microbes to run amok in runs against everything your parents taught you :-D

One of these days I'll be brave enough to do it with fish. Pretty hard to poison yourself if just veg.
I'm still gathering the courage to try the recipe I saw that claims to ferment in oil. Googled it and supposedly that ups the botulism risk coz of something about oxygen (iirc?) - gonna wait till there's not a pandemic on before I try that, since botulism can mean needing put on a ventilator.

Though I do get that eating something that has been left for microbes to run amok in runs against everything your parents taught you :-D
My mum used to send me to school with mouldy sandwiches :D I'm one of them people UAOS mentioned who say just to pick the mould off and you'll be fine.

I have recently acquired two burp jars as a result of my son's Y8 science project, so think it's time to start giving this a go. Perhaps it might finally reduce the never ending beetroot mountain in the fridge...

Wolveryeti my jars are the same as yours, do I need to sterilise them and if so how?
I would. I put mine through the dishwasher at 65C, but you can also sterilise them in the oven or a pressure cooker.

For lactofermentation (salt brining) complete sterility isnt paramount because the nasty bacteria that will fuck you up don't like the salt and low pH environments that the process produces and get rapidly outcompeted by the good bacteria (which tolerate them much better).

I have recently acquired two burp jars as a result of my son's Y8 science project, so think it's time to start giving this a go. Perhaps it might finally reduce the never ending beetroot mountain in the fridge...
The Cultured Guru doesn't recommend doing root veg on their own, only as part of a ferment containing mostly above ground stuff. Beetroot in particular is very sweet so likely to go alcoholic.

I have done carrots in with other things, with resounding success.

Untitled-21.png

I did a fair bit of fermenting over the winter including sauersprouts again but everything seemed to go a bit soft. I don't know why. Maybe temperature I guess, but then why did the sauersprouts work brilliantly last year and not this? I've been eating them gradually but they're merely tolerable.

Back
Top Bottom