Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone ferment fruit & vegetables?

What’s the attraction of fermenting stuff? It doesn’t always improve taste or texture. I get that it preserves things in times of scarcity, but seems like a lot of bother for something you wouldn’t eat much of

What’s the attraction of fermenting stuff? It doesn’t always improve taste or texture. I get that it preserves things in times of scarcity, but seems like a lot of bother for something you wouldn’t eat much of
What's the attraction of preparing food ever when you could just live on huel? Grating some veg, mixing a bit of salt in and shoving it in a jar to do its own thing isn't exactly much effort.

It tastes nice, it's meant to be good for your gut bacteria and for me it's sometimes a way of keeping veg that would otherwise go to waste or isn't possible to grow here all year round.

What's the attraction of preparing food ever when you could just live on huel?

It tastes nice, it's meant to be good for your gut bacteria and for me it's sometimes a way of keeping veg that would otherwise go to waste or isn't possible to grow here all year round.
I dunno, think I have a sensory aversion to things in murky jars, esp if done by amateurs. They remind me of Victorian medical curiosities
Plus all that effort to making something taste worse but last longer. Baffles me.

I dunno, think I have a sensory aversion to things in murky jars, esp if done by amateurs. They remind me of Victorian medical curiosities
Plus all that effort to making something taste worse but last longer. Baffles me.
There's fuck all effort involved and you might not like the taste but other people clearly do coz most of us wouldn't bother otherwise :confused::D

Think I’m just gonna have to cordon it off as a weird thing other people do and try not to worry about it again

Brad Leone's "It's Alive" videos are fun to watch and pick up tips from. Sadly Bon Appetit is continuing to host the videos but Brad says his own channel will be properly launching in June.

I bought a 5kg bag of Himalayan Pink Salt from Amazon for £8.70 in 2017 and it's finally coming to an end. :D

Will have to get some more (doesn't need to be pink). The main thing is that it doesn't have iodine in isn't it?

I got into it because fermented foods are excellent for gut health, and that's been one of my missions this year, to improve my gut microbiome.

It's really not much effort at all. You personally have spent wayyyy more time cooking meals than it ever takes to ferment some veg.

I bought a 5kg bag of Himalayan Pink Salt from Amazon for £8.70 in 2017 and it's finally coming to an end. :D

Will have to get some more (doesn't need to be pink). The main thing is that it doesn't have iodine in isn't it?
What's wrong with using salt that contains iodine? I just use any old salt for my kimchi, and that seems to work fine. Is this one of the unknown things that are gonna kill me?

I've only ever seen non-iodised salt referenced in DMT extraction teks

What's wrong with using salt that contains iodine? I just use any old salt for my kimchi, and that seems to work fine. Is this one of the unknown things that are gonna kill me?

I've only ever seen non-iodised salt referenced in DMT extraction teks

It's probably bollocks but I read it could mess with the fermenting? But is it one of those things people hype to much? Fermenting has a definite large cross over with people into woo.

DMT extraction also sounds fun.

It's probably bollocks but I read it could mess with the fermenting? But is it one of those things people hype to much? Fermenting has a definite large cross over with people into woo.

DMT extraction also sounds fun.
Well so far my kimchi made from cheapo salt seems to work, so don't fret too much when the Himalayas are turned into a flat plain.

When I made it I just used a big bag of kosher salt from the Asian supermarket

Pretty certain the bag was not used up in my time making it

I used to make kimchi once a month a few years back and it didn’t take long though I admit I simplified the recipe. Cut and soak veg, leave for a bit, mix in with kimchi paste (just a few ingredients mixed together), put in jar

Then you have a big jar of stuff in the fridge which can be used as a side dish or accompaniment, or made into the basis for a soup, stew, fried rice etc

I used to make kimchi once a month a few years back and it didn’t take long though I admit I simplified the recipe. Cut and soak veg, leave for a bit, mix in with kimchi paste (just a few ingredients mixed together), put in jar

Then you have a big jar of stuff in the fridge which can be used as a side dish or accompaniment, or made into the basis for a soup, stew, fried rice etc

I love the idea of making kimchi. Just paranoid about poisoning myself.

Fridge? Doesn't that slow down the fermenting? Mine go in the cupboard and won't be opened until they've been there for a minimum of a few weeks, but I've done months.

What did you do to simply the recipe? I'd like some more kimchi, but just doing kraut at the moment as it's quicker then making a porridge with the rice flour.

My kitchen's definitely a health hazard and I've been known to reuse jars I'd only licked clean :oops: and I don't think I'm dead

Well I mean it is a preservation method and people didn't kill themselves in the past.

That said I've been very careful with the jars since I started doing it again. Dishwasher and then Milton. It's not that I'm scared of germs, but I had a few batches of kraut with a funky taste. I've read it's safe, but I don't enjoy it, so I'd rather take the time with the extra prep time.

Fridge? Doesn't that slow down the fermenting? Mine go in the cupboard and won't be opened until they've been there for a minimum of a few weeks, but I've done months.

What did you do to simply the recipe? I'd like some more kimchi, but just doing kraut at the moment as it's quicker then making a porridge with the rice flour.

Fridge to store long term, but yes they fermented in a kilner on the worktop for 3-4 days. I was making it to suit the taste of my ex and she seemed to like it.

It’s a long time since I made it (over 3 years) so can’t quite remember what I did. Don’t think I bothered with the rice porridge step. Pretty certain I did this:

Veg was usually garlic, Chinese cabbage, a carrot, spring onion, sometimes cucumber and daikon. Mixed with fish sauce, rice vinegar, the Korean hot chilli flakes

Tbh it is the sort of thing you can make differently and experience with every time.

Got a load of jerusalem artichokes in the veg bag again this week. I can't eat them normally due to the uncontrollable farting they induce, but I don't want to throw them away as it's wasteful (and they are tasty, the evil little bastards), so I'm having a go at pickling them which involves a fermenting step that apparently removes the gaseous element.

They've just gone in the brine, will report back.

Got a load of jerusalem artichokes in the veg bag again this week. I can't eat them normally due to the uncontrollable farting they induce, but I don't want to throw them away as it's wasteful (and they are tasty, the evil little bastards), so I'm having a go at pickling them which involves a fermenting step that apparently removes the gaseous element.

They've just gone in the brine, will report back.
When I have gluts of them (which is every year) I start adding them to my kimchi. I don't think they are quite as farty as when I use them in other ways, but its hard to tell as my baseline is pretty high to start with.

Back
Top Bottom