Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Another Malaysian airliner crashed in Ukraine

USAF RC-135 ELINT aircraft have been flying out of RAF Mildenhall on 11+hour missions - wouldn't be surprised if they've helped frame the US view. as US, rather than NATO assets, they may have different rules about where they can go.:thumbs:

i wonder what the shiney new RAF RC-135 has been upto...

PS CNN reporting that the US government has concluded the aircraft was shot down based on data they have that the flight was tracked by a SAM radar and IR indications of an ensuing explosion.
I'm a bit skeptical of CNN nowadays, they have got lots of "live" stories wrong.

They caused a massive fuck up after the Boston bombing by claiming the 2nd person had been arrested, they got loads of shit from the security services for it.

Edit to add one of almost 1million links for people who may have missed it

Last edited:
Putin, stupid macho tiny cocked cunt
Give weapons to vodka driven nut buggers
Tosser
Cut them off
Oil now cheap
They be fucked

BsxGBpjCYAEfTGm.jpg:large

I'd be surprised if an airliner traveling at around 550 mph and at 33,0000 feet hit the ground only 20 km from where it was struck by a missile.

(I'd try and do the maths if I hadn't drunk so much :) )

well with a range of 30km it could have hit it a lot further away. Also the launcher can move so who knows?

Yeah, really? What's the turning circle of a normal airliner? What's the drag coefficient of bits of a broken one?
An airliner travailing at over 550mph at 33,000 feet could be hit and then head for the ground at less than 1 degree, I am skeptical about it, that's all.

Im presuming this map shows the planned flight route for MH17 (red dotted line). Unfortunately i cant get it to play to show the actual route, but presumably it was much further south than it should have been?

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/mh17#3d6095b

The dotted line is the great circle route ie the theoretically shortest one. The actual route travelled has be adjusted by ATC to account for things like weather, local traffic etc

An airliner travailing at over 550mph at 33,000 feet could be hit and then head for the ground at less than 1 degree, I am skeptical about it, that's all.
It doesn't work like that, though, does it. The fact that it's all in one place, burning on the ground means it didn't blow up in the air, which isn't surprising, because unlike in Hollywood, missiles don't do damage in a big explosion, but do it by peppering the target with shrapnel. That means it might well spiral down, or take any other trajectory you care to think of. It's also entirely possible for something to go wrong and quickly result in a completely vertical path, as anyone with the misfortune to have watched the Bagram crash video will have noted.

Im presuming this map shows the planned flight route for MH17 (red dotted line). Unfortunately i cant get it to play to show the actual route, but presumably it was much further south than it should have been?

No, it's exactly the same route that flight has been taking for the last couple of weeks plus/minus a little latitude for local weather, ATC, other operational issues, etc.

It doesn't work like that, though, does it. The fact that it's all in one place, burning on the ground means it didn't blow up in the air, which isn't surprising, because unlike in Hollywood, missiles don't do damage in a big explosion, but do it by peppering the target with shrapnel. That means it might well spiral down, or take any other trajectory you care to think of.
It was going 550 mph and at 33,000 feet, as I said it could happen but I am skeptical that it crashed with-in 20kl of where it was hit. That is the distance quoted in the post I replied to.

I don't understand what point are you trying to make?

It was going 550 mph and at 33,000 feet, as I said it could happen but I am skeptical that it crashed with-in 20kl of where it was hit. That is the distance quoted in the post I replied to.

I don't understand what point are you trying to make?
That it's completely feasible, and your skepticism is misplaced, no matter how much Comic Sans science you can link to.

That it's completely feasible, and your skepticism is misplaced, no matter how much Comic Sans science you can link to.
I agreed a number of post above that it is feasible, but I don't think it is the most likely outcome, hence my skepticism.

I agreed a number of post above that it is feasible, but I don't think it is the most likely outcome, hence my skepticism.
Do some physics then and work out how far a gravity bomb like this:

Mk-82_xxl.jpg

would travel if dropped from 30,000 feet at 550mph. Don't bother accounting for friction etc.

Before leaving for Delaware, Mr Obama spoke directly with Mr Putin by telephone. The call, which had been requested by Moscow, was ostensibly about the sanctions. However, officials in Moscow said Mr Putin informed President Obama about the loss of the Malaysian aircraft

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ers--and-dreads-the-consequences-9613450.html

What a headfuck, in the middle of economic positioning, any other sources for this revelation?

Do some physics then and work out how far a gravity bomb like this:

Mk-82_xxl.jpg

would travel if dropped from 30,000 feet at 550mph. Don't bother accounting for friction etc.
That isn't an airliner.
So let me get this right, you think an airliner traveling at 550mph at 33,000 feet is more likely to crash with-in 20kl of where it was hit than travel further, have I understood your position?

We both agree it is feasible to crash with-in 20kl.

That isn't an airliner.
So let me get this right, you think an airliner traveling at 550mph at 33,000 feet is more likely to crash with-in 20kl of where it was hit than travel further, have I understood your position?

The bomb goes at most 11km, for what it's worth. How far a plane goes entirely depends on exactly what happens to it, but an airliner finding itself without lift is absolutely no different to a bomb.

That isn't an airliner.

If an airliner loses control, it could land anywhere in a large radius - in front, to either side, behind or directly under the position where it lost control.
So maybe what he's saying is that the 550mph and the 33000ft figures are irrelevant.

The bomb goes at most 11km, for what it's worth. How far a plane goes entirely depends on exactly what happens to it, but an airliner finding itself without lift is absolutely no different to a bomb.
that doesn't answer my question.

If an airliner loses control, it could land anywhere in a large radius - in front, to either side, behind or directly under the position where it lost control.
So maybe what he's saying is that the 500mph and the 30000ft figures are irrelevant.
Yes we agree it could crash anywhere, I asked if it was more likely than not to hit the ground with-in 20 kl of being hit.

Hence my skepticism, it could take less than a couple of minutes to go further than 20kl.

I thought we were now talking about if me skepticism is misplaced ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom