Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And next, Syria?

its when they get put into practice theyre really fucking scary .

long_kesh_r%5B1%5D_edited.jpg

falls-curfew2.jpg

When I was a kid I remeber old Willie Whitelaw declaring plastic bullets wouldnt be used in Toxteth or Brixton because they were utterly lethal but they were flying about here like confetti . Thanks very fucking much .
Didnt they send warships up the Mersey once ?

If Syria goes things could get rather interesting. Quite some shockwaves through neighbouring countries given the Hizbullah and Hamas links, not to mention Syria's underlying ethnic mix makes Lebanon look a picnic.

Assad will be making concessions early because he knows he sits on a right old powder keg

its when they get put into practice theyre really fucking scary .

long_kesh_r%5B1%5D_edited.jpg

falls-curfew2.jpg

When I was a kid I remeber old Willie Whitelaw declaring plastic bullets wouldnt be used in Toxteth or Brixton because they were utterly lethal but they were flying about here like confetti . Thanks very fucking much .
Didnt they send warships up the Mersey once ?

So the potential laws of this country could be worse than they are now in Syria. Therefore the Syrian government should be supported?

There's going to be demonstrations in Syria again today. There seems to have been a number of demos in the week but they haven't received much publicity in the Western press. The security forces are now leaving the demonstrators alone, for now.

Hundreds of students have rallied in Damascus, the Syrian capital, to express solidarity with pro-democracy protesters killed over the weekend.

The rare demonstration on Monday at Damascus University reportedly turned violent when security forces beat up and arrested several protesters who were shouting for freedom and unity, witnesses told the Associated Press news agency.

Ammar Qurabi, head of Syria's National Organisation for Human Rights, told the AP news agency that one student had died after he was shot in the demonstration.....

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/04/2011411143055997548.html

The courage of these people is truly inspiring. Never thought I'd see the Assad clan go down. Sure hope they do real soon.

The Syrian President announces the end of the 40-year state of emergency before the end of the week...

... and that they will be replaced by new security laws

It's reference to the Libyan thread

Today's news:

6:05pm Our correspondent Cal Perry says the government seems to slowly be losing control of many cities and towns outside Damascus.

9:03pm Protester in Homs who gives his name as Abu Omar tells Al Jazeera that 70,000 people took to the streets this afternoon.

"I'm 45 years old. It's the first time in my life I break the barrier of silence, the first time I feel freedom. The regime does not wish us to enjoy freeedom or dignity. For decades we've been ruled by an iron fist, by the force of weapon."

Come on Urban why no interest in Syria? Has everybody grown bored of the Arab Spring already?

I was just reading the Economist, and it says that there have been cases of Syrian soldiers being shot for refusing to fire on protesters.

Divisive Cotton

Come on Urban why no interest in Syria? Has everybody grown bored of the Arab Spring already?

Good point. This is fast becoming the springboard for the regeneration of the Arab Spring. It's significance is massive. Syria is not a country whose politics I know very well (certainly not compared to Egypt or Pakistan) though I have visited briefly. I think a bit of swotting up is in order, but you are right. This is really really important and deserves all our attention.

Looks like the state of emergency has been repealed today, according to the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13134322

Also Al Jazz English - http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/04/2011419135036463804.html

...and it looks like Divisive Cotton might be on to summat about new laws - quoted from AJE:

However the interior ministry also passed a law that says citizens must obtain permission to demonstrate, the agency said, hours after the ministry imposed a total ban on political gatherings.

Back
Top Bottom