Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon's 'The Boys' - fighting superheroes gone bad with an awesome Karl Urban Cockney accent

Ok, I just watched star trek, Karl Urban really can't do accents. I'm not quite sure what he was going for there. Scottish? It sounds more dame edna. Still the laughability of his cockney accent and his pronunciation of the C word definitely improved The Boys

Ok, I just watched star trek, Karl Urban really can't do accents. I'm not quite sure what he was going for there. Scottish? It sounds more dame edna. Still the laughability of his cockney accent and his pronunciation of the C word definitely improved The Boys
He can’t but it doesn’t bother me and I still rate him highly as an actor.

I can think of even Oscar winning actors who have delivered very unconvincing accent performances here and there. It can be annoying but I’d still rather have an actor with superior overall skills and poor at accents over a merely competent one who excels at foreign accents. Perhaps as a native Spanish who has watched countless Anglo Saxon actors play Spanish or South American characters with decisively dodgy accents I am more immune to it. It certainly doesn’t spoil the enjoyment of the film if it’s otherwise good.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I'm not saying he's not a good actor, he's very good. I'm always in awe of actors who do good accents. Jodie Comer from Killing Eve springs to mind. Shes a proper scouser when she speaks her actual accent.

Some people on the other hand are brilliant at it though. Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchett excel at British English: Kate Winslet and Hugh Laurie would fool most Americans. Emma Stone is also pretty good.

I'm a bit disappointed with the idea to supe up the Boys to fight the supes. Worried that this will be a shark jumping series.

I'm a bit disappointed with the idea to supe up the Boys to fight the supes. Worried that this will be a shark jumping series.
It’s a while since I read the books but isn’t t that what they do in them?

No idea. Never read them. Just because it happened in the comic doesn't mean it will be a good idea. Maybe the comic book jumped the shark too.
I should probably wait and see. I have only seen the trailer.
So far it's been a fairly decent series, though it didn't stand up so well to a rewatch I gave it before season two.

Still contains one of my favourite lines in TV "Well well well, if it ain't the invisible cunt".

Finished the first three episodes. Certainly as great as all others previously. And ATOMIC SUPLEX , unless you have inside information about what might happen later in the series, there’s definitely no shark jumping to worry about from the first three episodes.
I know nothing, beyond what I saw in the trailer. I'm just a perpetual pessimist.

Another great episode this week. Shit’s getting real and then some! Quite dark episode so the light relief moments were particularly welcome. Loved the death by dildo scene, and especially the flying hamster :D

Homelander, though… :eek:

Watched the first episode, great stuff as ever, any worries that it wouldn't live up to the first couple of series were gone within minutes, however, I think I might have to abandon this series and anything else from Prime if I ever see another scene where somebody is buying something at Amazon.com.

Aye - right at the start, right after Hughie's recruited (third or fourth issue?), Butcher injects him with blue which IIRC he gets pure from his squeeze in the CIA. Poor quality cut blue was IIRC how the numerous sex workers were able to be used and abused by superheroes without being reduced entirely to mush, although the effects of that only lasted a few days.

Having not seen the series (there's so much stuff that never gets finished these days I tend not to bother until the run is done), how do they get around the "normal humans going toe-to-toe with superheroes" problem then if they Butcher and co aren't dosed up on supe-juice?

Aye - right at the start, right after Hughie's recruited (third or fourth issue?), Butcher injects him with blue which IIRC he gets pure from his squeeze in the CIA. Poor quality cut blue was IIRC how the numerous sex workers were able to be used and abused by superheroes without being reduced entirely to mush, although the effects of that only lasted a few days.

Having not seen the series (there's so much stuff that never gets finished these days I tend not to bother until the run is done), how do they get around the "normal humans going toe-to-toe with superheroes" problem then if they Butcher and co aren't dosed up on supe-juice?

Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance

This season's actually better. And as for that opening few minutes to the first episode. I don't think there's even been a more fucked up, twisted, hilarious beginning to any season of any TV show ever.
I thought the little guy might be jumping inside the guy's arse, which would have been enough, but no...

I thought last week’s episode was actually a bit boring if still necessary in the overall story arc, but this week’s was brilliant :D

Just watching the first episode.

Lost none of its gory charm and is more "real" than The Boys. But that wouldn't be hard.

Initial impressions are that it's like if Paul Verhoeven directed The Boys instead of Starship Troopers

Back
Top Bottom