Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

All Things Pudding

This thread is driving me wild with hunger. I love a proper pudding but hardly ever make them. Might have to start doing them over the winter, because I’m always bloody freezing.

LOVE crumble. Quite nice for breakfast, actually. Bread and butter pudding is another favourite. Never really got on with rice pudding, though, especially that horrible skin on top. Also have slightly traumatic school-dinner memories of bland sponge and watery custard. Come to think of it, maybe that’s why I don’t make school dinner puddings for myself, because of all the horrific main courses I was forced to eat by the dinner ladies before I was permitted to turn my plate around and eat the sweet stuff.

Never really got on with rice pudding, though, especially that horrible skin on top. Also have slightly traumatic school-dinner memories of bland sponge and watery custard. Come to think of it, maybe that’s why I don’t make school dinner puddings for myself, because of all the horrific main courses I was forced to eat by the dinner ladies before I was permitted to turn my plate around and eat the sweet stuff.
Definitely school dinner trauma that's put me off so many foods.

I was never a fan of me mother's rice pudding tbh, or school puddings, but I've just started craving it all, and homemade is always 100% tastier than shopbought/dinner lady slopped.

I do traditional roast dinners in my bar every sunday Oct -May and my biggest selling dessert , by far, is my home made pear & apple crumble. It outsells the apple pies, schooldinner sponge, treacle/syrup pud etc by a mile. Before i stopped for the summer i was doing 2 big trays on a sunday and they normally all got sold, despite having another 2/3 desserts on the menu too. Quick, easy & fairly cheap to make, its one of the best things to cook. Smothered in custard. Nothing better.

Lots of drooling on this thread :D

I've taken to making this rice pud of late. I use a mix of oat cream and coconut milk (might make a thick solution of creamed coconut and use that next time, come to think of it) with extra cinnamon and ginger. I also crush some cardamom seeds and bung them in. Xylitol instead of sugar. Fucking lush :cool:

hmm - maybe someone could help me

I was approached by someone who knew I was British, and he asked me where he could get a bowl to make a proper pudding.

I knew what he meant, mom brought over bowls that she cooked puddings in.

Any chance someone could send me a link to where he could purchase some online?

I was approached by someone who knew I was British, and he asked me where he could get a bowl to make a proper pudding.

do you maybe mean Pyrex?
I'm not often a pudding maker but the microwave ones sound quick and easy, Ill probably try them :)

I love rice pudding - both the traditional English baked (slowly on a low temp) type with ground nutmeg and a skin on top, and also the sort that you get in some Indian restaurants that is made on the hob and flavoured with cardamom - both absolutely lush.

do you maybe mean Pyrex?
I'm not often a pudding maker but the microwave ones sound quick and easy, Ill probably try them :)

He was asking about ceramic ones, but you do have a point.

I'll see him at my next woodworking class and ask him what he wants to do with it.
If he just wants some good puddings, then I may suggest that he tries a different cooking method.

Thanks gem :)

I’m in the UK so my algorithms will reflect hat but when I plug in pudding bowl to the search engine I get pages and pages of ceramic pudding bowls for steamed pudding come back.

0A447B6A-36E4-46D7-BCA5-F63B92328040.png7EC14F02-FA82-4F08-A3C4-D3365F4B802A.jpeg

Searching for pudding bowl USA and pudding basin USA it‘s returning plenty of results too, including Amazon.com.

So… either he’s not looked on line or he’s looking for something else entirely.

I’m in the UK so my algorithms will reflect hat but when I plug in pudding bowl to the search engine I get pages and pages of ceramic pudding bowls for steamed pudding come back.

View attachment 345106View attachment 345107

Searching for pudding bowl USA and pudding basin USA it‘s returning plenty of results too, including Amazon.com.

So… either he’s not looked on line or he’s looking for something else entirely.

nope - that is exactly what he wants.

I didn't check online, but he said he looked "everywhere".

I'll go off to find it is available in Canada, if not, I'll use one of your links.

I'm surprised how cheap they are!!!!

Thanks again.

nope - that is exactly what he wants.

I didn't check online, but he said he looked "everywhere".

I'll go off to find it is available in Canada, if not, I'll use one of your links.

I'm surprised how cheap they are!!!!

Thanks again.

I‘m so sorry, I don’t know why I tried USA, I know perfectly well that you’re in Canada.
But anyway a quick squint tells me they are indeed a sin Canada.

Maybe he meant he’d looked ”everywhere in my local high street” rather than actually everywhere. As in “I’ve looked everywhere and I can’t find the rolling pin!” “You mean this one right here at the back of the drawer I told you it was in?” “What?! How did that get there! I swear I looked in there!” eto.

I've spent all day wracking my brains for the name of THIS pudding, my fav ever!
Malvern pudding.
Ultimate comfort!
Easy to make a vegan version too (I expect)
View attachment 345002
Cinnamon flecked sweet bechamal sauce topping with apple sauce underneath.

I‘ve never heard of this pudding kalidarkone . It looks divine! I’ve got loads of apples from my tree so I’ll defintely be making this in the near future.

I‘m so sorry, I don’t know why I tried USA, I know perfectly well that you’re in Canada.
But anyway a quick squint tells me they are indeed a sin Canada.

Maybe he meant he’d looked ”everywhere in my local high street” rather than actually everywhere. As in “I’ve looked everywhere and I can’t find the rolling pin!” “You mean this one right here at the back of the drawer I told you it was in?” “What?! How did that get there! I swear I looked in there!” eto.

I'm thinking that he didn't know what to call them to get a good search.
He is in his 80's.....

I was gonna search, but then I saw this thread start up and decided to be a bit lazy.

I'll try to find him a good link, and as a bonus - I shall give him some of the recipes and ideas listed on the thread.

eta: no worries about the USA thing :)

I'm thinking that he didn't know what to call them to get a good search.
He is in his 80's.....

I was gonna search, but then I saw this thread start up and decided to be a bit lazy.

I'll try to find him a good link, and as a bonus - I shall give him some of the recipes and ideas listed on the thread.

eta: no worries about the USA thing :)
Mason Cash are kings of pudding basins.

I made the microwave individual self-saucing pudding that was in the first link that I posted on the previous page (using hot coffee instead of hot water as I suggested I would be inclined to do).

It wasn't an "omg wow this is amazing" best pudding ever and it looked a bit of a mess - it's not dinner party fare - but for a quick "I fancy a pudding" total time 10 minutes constructing and cooking it deal, it was perfectly OK. It was hot and chocolatey and sweet and for in front of the TV in my jimjams it was fine. Will definitely make again (possibly with a bit less sugar, it was a tad too sweet if anything). Would go well with a dollop of ice cream I reckon.

Last edited:
I made the microwave individual self-saucing pudding that was in the first link that I posted on the previous page (using hot coffee instead of hot water as I suggested I would be inclined to do).

It wasn't an "omg wow this is amazing" best pudding ever and it looked a bit of a mess - it's not dinner party fare - but for a quick "I fancy a pudding" total time 10 minutes constructing and cooking it deal, it was perfectly OK. It was hot and chocolatey and sweet and for in front of the TV in my jimjams it was fine. Will definitely make again (possibly with a bit less sugar, it was a tad too sweet if anything). Would go well with a dollop of ice cream I reckon.
I'm so going to try that recipe. Did you use oil or melted butter? If oil, what oil?

I'm so going to try that recipe. Did you use oil or melted butter? If oil, what oil?

I used vegetable oil (rapeseed), but I think I'll do it with butter next time. Oil is ok in some applications, but as the recipe doesn't contain eggs, I feel like it needs a bit of richness from butter.

Back
Top Bottom