Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

Isn’t there something particularly, horrifically poignant about the death yesterday of U.S. Marines who were 20 years old?
RIP

He put himself in danger on purpose, not so the people whose country he and his hero chums have been using as a target range for 20 fucking years.

Real heroes stay home and raise their kids.

Looks like the Mr Farthing and the animals have made it through and will be getting out
(subject to last minute problems)...but the rescue centre staff haven’t 🤬

...also

2D5E70B1-9B95-4582-96BB-94CDF22BF6CD.jpeg

...edgy comedian being edgy.

He put himself in danger on purpose, not so the people whose country he and his hero chums have been using as a target range for 20 fucking years.

Real heroes stay home and raise their kids.
Urbs with long memories will recall Jessica lynch, who ended up in Iraqi hands during the invasion of Iraq Jessica Lynch - Wikipedia. She was in the US army basically for the gi bill - access to higher education, as not-bono-ever says it's quite possible this unfortunate man was in the USMC for similar reasons.

Can I just say, and I'm sure I will be shot down in flames, that the evacuation effort by the people on the ground has been fucking amazing. Keeping that many planes in the air 24/7, processing over a hundred thousand people in a couple of weeks with gun wielding Taliban lurking. I'm not a military fan and the circumstances are obviously fucking awful but I can at least objectively appreciate the logistics involved there.

Was he conscripted?

Do you think seriously think that 18, 19 and 20 yr olds in the Marines or the British Army or the IRA or ISIS or the Taliban are wholly responsible?
They FOLLOW orders.
They often dont have many choices in life. Some are coerced into war. Others see it as a way to earn a living. You might look at those people with some disgust but you've been lucky enough to have received an education and a qualification.

Every single death in Kabul is a reflection of the warped greed and twisted ideologies of a number of groups...not least of which are the conjoined fucked up governments in the west..the US and the UK.. but also the ideological mess that is extremism.

I am sorry a young 20 yr old man died.
I am sorry that nearly 200 people have died. That people who have lived in hell in Afghanistan are going to have even more hell dumped on them because their tribal leaders could turn on them at any moment. Or because a trigger happy UK and US could decide to commemorate 9/11 by blowing the fuck out of them again.

History is repeating.
And young kids are going to end up as cannon fodder just as they always do for the sake of war and fucked up people.

An Irish delegation went out to try to get some 30 Irish people home. They came back empty handed.
It doesnt look good for them.

They got some out (with the assistance of Finnish and French airlift capability) but there were definitely some left behind.

eta:

Looks like the Mr Farthing and the animals have made it through and will be getting out
(subject to last minute problems)...but the rescue centre staff haven’t 🤬

...also

View attachment 285611

...edgy comedian being edgy.
FFS why are white people such a fucking embarrassment ? What must the Afghans think of some privileged middle class guy who puts cat and dogs over the lives of their children ?

They got some out (with the assistance of Finnish and French (?) airlift capability but there were definitely some left behind.

eta:

Yes..I saw this.
But the Irish delegation () that went out were given short shrift. They must have been under the impression that they had some clout. Or that theybcould appeal to the Taliban.
The minister in charge made all sorts of promises
...Simon Coveney... that is. Obviously nobody had heard of him in Kabul.
The diolomats didn't get an airing.

FFS why are white people such a fucking embarrassment ? What must the Afghans think of some privileged middle class guy who puts cat and dogs over the lives of their children ?

Fucking hell. You're aware most of his employees are not 'white'?

He has 60 Afghan employees, all with families that he's trying to get out.

His dogs and cats were allowed through the Taliban checkpoints, his employees and their families weren't. A lot of those planes were leaving empty as people weren't being allowed through and they had to make room on the airstrip. It's a clusterfuck but I'm not sure a guy helping animals voluntarily and employing local vets in a warzone is the one to blame here.

Last edited:
Was he conscripted?
Not sure about the guy who you are talking about, but you might want to have a think about how kids who aren't achieving in school and from poorer economic areas are quite regularly targeted by the army. I almost went for it at a young age and was pretty committed to the idea as I couldn't really see any other way I was going to achieve and they fucking sell it hard. A fair few of my mates did go.

I think the use of the word “pets” in the tweet shows the disdain / contempt they have for the decision to prioritise animals over people.

There’s definitely been far too much coverage and no doubt effort / energy on the part of the government spent on this matter.

I think the use of the word “pets” in the tweet shows the disdain / contempt they have for the decision to prioritise animals over people.

There’s definitely been far too much coverage and no doubt effort / energy on the part of the government spent on this matter.

The people couldn't get through. He tried his damndest. I've seen two live things with him on breakfast telly where he's been pretty much in tears about getting people out. He wasn't able to. He seems a genuinely caring person. There were empty planes leaving, he got a few a dogs and cats on them. Give him a break. He would certainly have prioritised his staff and their families over the animals.

Back
Top Bottom