Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

Some reporting from Kabul

Artitcle says chaos at airport was mainly down to the US taking it over. Civilian flights were cancelled and US were prioritising getting their own people out. Leaving civilian Afghans unable to get out. Nice of US to look after number one.

It also suggests Taliban had done deals with regional leaders/ politicians to get them to surrender. Which would have been made some time ago.

What they deals are the article does not go into. Last Taliban government was extremely harsh on some of the non Pashtun minorities.

The last time the Taliban came to power after a bloody conflict they gained a destroyed country with no infrastructure and no money. Rife with extremists and Al Quida.
This time they benefit from 20 years of development, vast amounts of funds and experience of already governing over half the country all be it the impoverished rural bits.
It makes perfect sence they want to retain the civil service including workers.

I donated to this charity today. I saw the guy being interviewed. Yes, he's a former royal commando, but he went back to Kabul to set up a charity for homeless animals and employs about 25 Afghans there as vets. He's refusing to leave until they're allowed to come to the UK. He seems a genuinely good man.

This is his charity, you can donate there if you like for him to get them out, although it seems unlikely. I'm more of an animal person than a people person I have to admit and this is pretty sad.

It also suggests Taliban had done deals with regional leaders/ politicians to get them to surrender. Which would have been made some time ago.

There's no 'suggestion' about it. It's very clear from the speed of the takeover and the lack of resistance that local leaders have waved them in. One can't really blame them but I doubt they'll be far down the line once the head-chopping begins.

Last edited:
One can't really blame them but I doubt they'll be far down the line once the head-chopping begins.
I don't know why you would think that. The fact that the Taliban had a good relationship with tribal leaders and understood their political dynamics, whereas the western countries remained clueless, is a major reason that the Taliban are in the position they find themselves in.

The last time the Taliban came to power after a bloody conflict they gained a destroyed country with no infrastructure and no money. Rife with extremists and Al Quida.
This time they benefit from 20 years of development, vast amounts of funds and experience of already governing over half the country all be it the impoverished rural bits.
It makes perfect sence they want to retain the civil service including workers.
and a superpower which is, at the least, expressing interest in working with them

I don't know why you would think that. The fact that the Taliban had a good relationship with tribal leaders and understood their political dynamics, whereas the western countries remained clueless, is a major reason that the Taliban are in the position they find themselves in.
so how come it took them 20 years if they were so linked in?

I donated to this charity today. I saw the guy being interviewed. Yes, he's a former royal commando, but he went back to Kabul to set up a charity for homeless animals and employs about 25 Afghans there as vets. He's refusing to leave until they're allowed to come to the UK. He seems a genuinely good man.

This is his charity, you can donate there if you like for him to get them out, although it seems unlikely. I'm more of an animal person than a people person I have to admit and this is pretty sad.

It's pretty obscene that people are worrying about evacuating dogs when so many human lives are at risk.

It's pretty obscene that people are worrying about evacuating dogs when so many human lives are at risk.

He's also trying to evacuate his staff. He's said he's aware the UK is full of bigoted anti-immigration cunts (to paraphrase, he put it much more politely) so doesn't them to have to rely on the state if possible so is asking for donations.

Waiting for the beast to wear itself out and the prospects of a successful new order to entirely evaporate. Hence the various local powers have calculated they now have a better chance of maintaining their interests versus a Taliban regime than a US-backed kleptocracy and the Taliban aren't silly enough to upset the balance that's got them there. Like good old high feudal relations between the crown and the barons.

It's not black and white. A few of the leaders who were former members of the Northern Alliance are deadly enemies of the Taliban and might be executed or jailed. But the Taliban gets many of its recruits from the tribes. Most Afghans are borne into a tribe. They go to their local madrassa and then they might be recruited into the Taliban, but their families might be loyal to the local warlord. The Taliban would shrink if it put all the tribal leaders on the hitlist.

Last edited:
Watching the Taliban news conference

Translators and contractors who worked with the west will be pardoned
There will be no unnecessary knocks on doors or vehicle check points
Women will be required to wear a hijab but not a burka
Women and girls will be allowed to go to school and work
They will not allow any foreigners (foreign fighters) use the country to attack other countries

Make of that what you will

Last edited:
They were up against the world's strongest superpower and their allies. And from many accounts it seems that a lot of the tribal and regional leaders nominally went along with the occupation and new Afghan government (hence the speed of the Taliban's collapse in 2001), since they were the ones with the money and weapons, but they fully expected this to be temporary and for the Taliban to return.

I can already hear the haunting burial track that Adam Curtis will play over the top of this footage, mixed with his narration drawn from parts of the wikipedia entry on 'Taliban'.
tbf bitter lake is probably the best thing he's ever done as it is slightly less unhinged and a bit more focused on a single topic with less "meanwhile, at the very same time, in a forest in bolivia" moments

Poverty stats. Afghanistan has about 1.3 GW of Electricity generation capacity - well 600 MW in country and an import capacity of 700 MW foe 40 million people. To put that into perspective we have about 55GW installed capacity in the UK.

600 MW is also one unit of an old coal or nuclear power station or a couple of modern CCGT units.

Last edited:
Headlines and chatter will fade, then the same shit will resume. For 'our values' :(
This is the worst part, for me personally.
I feel incredibly sad and a bit lost over this, I can't say for exactly why, but it's hit me like a brick.
But I know that in a couple of weeks, it'll just be another 'thing' to me, like Libya, or Hong Kong, or Georgia, or Ukraine....

They were up against the world's strongest superpower and their allies. And from many accounts it seems that a lot of the tribal and regional leaders nominally went along with the occupation and new Afghan government (hence the speed of the Taliban's collapse in 2001), since they were the ones with the money and weapons, but they fully expected this to be temporary and for the Taliban to return.
er the taliban collapsed before the occupation and formation of a new afghan government: i think you've things rather arse over tit

Back
Top Bottom