Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

a thread of fake Morleys

and a genuine morley

bricks3-8.jpg

NEWS: I have to report that Fantastic Morley Fried Chicken, on the South Circular at the Catford/Forest Hill border, has gone full-on Fake Morley's and is now called "Fantsatic Morley" [sic]. (here is the old look: a thread of fake Morleys)

It's not to be confused with Monleys (Google Maps) which opened about three years ago the other side of the Blythe Hill Tavern.

Last edited:
There's one in Streatham, which is called Morly's, or something similar. Can't be arsed to check the thread, but it's opposite Streatham Station, which used to have 'Gooooglie Cabs' next door.

THIS greeted me on my way to work this morning- it's not yet open, and throughout development there's been a legit Morley's 'COMING SOON' sign outside it. So perhaps there was a disagreement between parent company and franchisee at the last minute? Anyway, I bring you 'Norleys'.

u8zNGJ1.jpg

That's a legit proper counterfeit Morleys right there. Good work!

Is it rare? Is it worth anything?

They're open for business right now, and, to rub salt in the wound for the real Morley's, have cut up the official banner which was above the shop during development to remove the Morley's branding, and spray-painted the opening date on top of it.

There's one in Streatham, which is called Morly's, or something similar. Can't be arsed to check the thread, but it's opposite Streatham Station, which used to have 'Gooooglie Cabs' next door.

THIS greeted me on my way to work this morning- it's not yet open, and throughout development there's been a legit Morley's 'COMING SOON' sign outside it. So perhaps there was a disagreement between parent company and franchisee at the last minute? Anyway, I bring you 'Norleys'.

u8zNGJ1.jpg

That balloon arch brings a tear to my ear. It's so beautiful. Better than Morleys.

That balloon arch brings a tear to my ear. It's so beautiful. Better than Morleys.

Weirdly enough, the balloons absolutely STINK of rubber. I've never noticed this with balloons before. Perhaps it's intentional, to cover up the smell of the food.

Hello mate. Glad to see you're so passionate about the topic. Don't know about you, but we're just having some fun documenting an interesting phenomenon.
Glad you've moderated your earlier comment - it seemed a bit harsh for a thread about fried chicken.

You'd be surprised to see how long there's been an interest in documenting the fake Morley's topic - going back at least 10 years in fact.
So if you're relatively new to South London and have only picked up on it 4 years ago, you're still a bit of a newbie. ;)

Hope you'll have a cracking weekend and remember to have fun. There are much better things to do than calling people c***s on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom