Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread in praise of the private car!

Audi. Fast but dull.

Audi-Quattro-Rally-Car-4.jpg

Has anyone mentioned the problem with EVs, namely, I can't be the only one that lives in a terraced house and my car is often parked hundreds of yards away from my house. I genuinely wonder how I'm meant to use an electric car, or rather, charge it.

Also had an s3. Ditto. Find them fast but meh.

I know what you mean actually but I think that is the difference between RS and S models, the S model is a luxury sports car wheras the RS models are unashamedly track cars made for the road and give a lot more conectivity to the car, the difference between my RS4 and a S4 both 2.7 Biturbo was astonishing.

Here is a tuned RS2 doing a lap of Nurburgring in under 9 minutes, stupid for a 21 year old car and the sound, jeez, as they say the proper audis are 5 cylinder and turbocharged. ;)

starts lap at 3.16

Has anyone mentioned the problem with EVs, namely, I can't be the only one that lives in a terraced house and my car is often parked hundreds of yards away from my house. I genuinely wonder how I'm meant to use an electric car, or rather, charge it.
Quite. Battery powered cars are a dead end.

If you need to ask, etc... EVs clearly not for you :(

In the future, charging points on the street and everywhere else you'd park. Which is great until Orang Utan stumbles by drunk unplugging them all anyway.

If there'd really be a charging point every 2 metres along every street, then yes that answers my question.

There won't be though.
It's not that difficult or expensive. Or alternatively you maintain the current model of visiting a garage, only instead of pumping a tank of fuel into it, you swap out the battery for a ready-charged one.

It is hard overall to beat the bandwidth of petrol and diesel though - how much energy you can transfer in a length of time.

its something i've often pondered, but i think the solution is to rigg-up something like a mobile hampster wheel and get a couple of pasty-looking soap-dodgers to give it an hours blast. they'd get some colour, theres some renewable shit they could gob off about to some dread-locked SJW, and you get free fuel.

i may run for election...

Cardiff to Barcelona, about 1,000m

By aircraft, flying time 2 hours average speed 500mph

By Motorbike or Car, 20 hours average speed 50mph

By Train ?

I've driven from Birmingham to Barcelona and it takes a lot longer than 20hrs, the way there getting the portsmouth->le havre ferry, left Brum in the morning, stayed overnight in San Sebastian and then arrived mid afternoon in Barcelona, maybe 30 hours. Way back left Barca late evening, stopped in south france overnight, started driving at sunrise and then got the last ferry back from Calais (11pm?) plus 3 hours back to Birmingham, maybe 26 or 28 hours but driving through france in one day was not pleasant.
Had a look recently, cba to memory check, eurostar from London -> Barca you leave in the morning and arrive for dinner.

Last edited:

I hadn't even contributed to this thread yet! I'm a sad car hater, cars are fantastic liberating devices (and often really beautiful design/art) but we should never have designed our cities around them, plus the environmental/pollution factors (not just climate change but also air pollution), and all the issues around oil (not just peak oil but also funding the Saudi and other really grim regimes) means I think we have to give them up.

wrt to electric vehicles I'm sure I remember seeing a reasonable study that reckoned that to power the UKs vehicles you'd need more electricity than is produced in the world or something silly like that, but i cannot find anything now. If my memory is right then electric cars are a dead end for mass transport, you'd have to ration it and the only rationing mechanism capitalism has is pricing which is shit because it leaves cars as a rich person's plaything, I can't see people doing it themselves on the basis that if you live in a city and are able to use PT or cycle then you can live without a car, and hire/carshare/taxi when there are things that really hugely benefit from a motorised vehicle.

I hadn't even contributed to this thread yet! I'm a sad car hater, cars are fantastic liberating devices (and often really beautiful design/art) but we should never have designed our cities around them, plus the environmental/pollution factors (not just climate change but also air pollution), and all the issues around oil (not just peak oil but also funding the Saudi and other really grim regimes) means I think we have to give them up.

wrt to electric vehicles I'm sure I remember seeing a reasonable study that reckoned that to power the UKs vehicles you'd need more electricity than is produced in the world or something silly like that, but i cannot find anything now. If my memory is right then electric cars are a dead end for mass transport, you'd have to ration it and the only rationing mechanism capitalism has is pricing which is shit because it leaves cars as a rich person's plaything, I can't see people doing it themselves on the basis that if you live in a city and are able to use PT or cycle then you can live without a car, and hire/carshare/taxi when there are things that really hugely benefit from a motorised vehicle.
I knew you'd be perfect for the scheme, Tom.

You now need to contact your partner, renegadechicken, just to make sure you're making the necessary contributions for him to run his Jaguar efficiently.

Welcome aboard!

Electric cars.

We are > < close to having remote charging for our phones, a bit like Wi-Fi but for leccy. So charging points built in to the road and everyone's a winner.

We didn't.

Except Milton Keynes.

Is that even a city?

and all the out of town shopping centres, birmignham city centre, coventry city centre, wolverhampton, walsall, oldbury - all the town centres round here have/had massive ring roads built after ww2, All the big A roads cutting through the places, priority for cars over pedestrians, no provision for cycling etc etc etc. if you read the transport policy stuff from the 50s/60s when so much was built, it's all about building for motor vehicles.

and all the out of town shopping centres, birmignham city centre, coventry city centre, wolverhampton, walsall, oldbury - all the town centres round here have/had massive ring roads built after ww2, All the big A roads cutting through the places, priority for cars over pedestrians, no provision for cycling etc etc etc. if you read the transport policy stuff from the 50s/60s when so much was built, it's all about building for motor vehicles.

Oh, you're talking about up there...field of fucks, have a look etc...

I fucking LOVE my car!!! It's an okd Honda CRV that guzzles petrol and bezz around all over in it. Wouldn't be without it, especially now I have kids.

I've never had an Audi. I toyed with buying a 3.2TT a couple of years ago but was put off by a poster on here, so got a 3.2 Brera instead. Loved it and will probably get another some day, but I got a great offer for it and the petrol consumption was painful, so I let it go.

My wife has had loads of Audis, they've all understeered like fuck when hoofing it.

I have no love for my car or any car, I'd happily get rid of it given the chance as its costs me a fortune on tax (company car) - the fucker just sits there all weekend gathering dust and costing me money. I really don't understand car ownership in London.

It's not that difficult or expensive. Or alternatively you maintain the current model of visiting a garage, only instead of pumping a tank of fuel into it, you swap out the battery for a ready-charged one.

There's not just the one battery though I don't think. There are loads.

come the day this will be the only car and only available to senior security apparatus people:

Mad-max-1.jpg

obvs with hydraulics so you can do the popping up and down they do in the music videos

Back
Top Bottom