Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread in praise of the private car!

I'm wondering if my next car should have a 2.5L petrol as frankly I probably won't have the opportunity in years to come.

I agree with OU that they will die out, probably not for a while though. Jay Leno made a comment on Top Gear that he thinks they will go the way of the horse. Once vital and the best means of getting round, now used as a hobby for the rich.

We need another method to come along and replace it though. I couldn't do large chunks of my job without mine.

if the money spent on private cars was spent on public transport....
Then we'd still have crap public transport, no money, and no car.

You would have to displace and relocate almost everyone to suit the chosen infrastructure, probably rail. Mass transit still wouldn't suit the fragmented, tangled way we live our lives, so we'd have to go back to a roughly 1930s way of living, which would have its effects on you too despite your urban privilege.

Personal car ownership will eventually go away, because driverless cars will commoditise car travel rather than car ownership, and summoning a car that you don't have the inconvenience of owning is an attractive proposition to most. But it only changes the mechanics of it, and it's not drastically different a model from now.

I dunno where it is you're going that you don't need roads, but it's not this century or last.

3ltr TDI here, if driven carefully it does far better mileage than the 2ltr version. In fact as it's from the VW group the 2ltr probably uses shitloads more fuel...

The car is one of the greatest things ever invented.

Absolutely.

citroen-ds-special-04.jpg

Gorgeous, isn't it. :cool:

Also let's stop for a moment, where safe to do so, and consider that it's amazing that millions, nay billions, of people can set off in their one tonne death machines, travelling at speeds at which our ancestors thought you wouldn't be able to breathe and your eyes would explode, every single day, and hardly anyone gets killed, much less out of deliberate rage. It's got nothing on the aeroplane, I admit, but you probably wouldn't let me fly your aeroplane.

You can fly the plane but you'll have to provide your own person to walk in front carrying the red flag.
If I press the horn at an opportune moment, do you think perhaps he'll get sufficiently airborne and we can all get going?

Also let's stop for a moment, where safe to do so, and consider that it's amazing that millions, nay billions, of people can set off in their one tonne death machines, travelling at speeds at which our ancestors thought you wouldn't be able to breathe and your eyes would explode, every single day, and hardly anyone gets killed, much less out of deliberate rage. It's got nothing on the aeroplane, I admit, but you probably wouldn't let me fly your aeroplane.
Aircraft (according to Wikipedia) are only safer than the car when considering total miles travelled. When considered on deaths per journey they are worse than cars:

Aviation safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was without a car for 2 days recently and I actually thought I was going to die.
It is interesting how much we rely on them. The last time I was without my car I could walk to a small shop at least but anything further was out of the question and I couldn't see my son, unless I walked about 5m each way.

Back
Top Bottom