Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best petrol only car available in a hybrid world

So I do know that we are all moving towards electric cars and away from fossil fuels. I hope that hydrogen will be an option though.

And eventually I will have to get an electric car... but for now I am sticking with my Toyota Yaris 1 litre petrol car.

I did have a hybrid which let me down badly during covid . It didn't survive lockdowns and the 12v battery just died..so the car would not start. I don't know how many times toyota tested it and said that it was fine...but it would regularly just not start. I had to get the AA out 4 times and had to use jump leads about 6 times. In the end I was so pissed off because the one day I REALLY needed it to bring someone to hospital...it died yet again.

So toyota said..."it needs to be driven...every day".
Well ... they should probably tell people that. Especially if people plan on not driving every day.

I love the Yaris. It's great around town. Really low mileage. Doesn't guzzle fuel. Its 100% reliable.
It just is scary on the open road
Not so much the car...but other drivers reaction when they are behind me. Especially if they're in a bigger car...mostly Audi, BMW, drivers. I have to say.
I don't feel as safe as I used to in my 2007 Toyota Auris (Corolla).

What do others feel about petrol vs hybrid / ev? And the actual life of hybrids? My first car was 9yrs old when I reluctantly traded it in.
Will hybrids be running after 9 / 10 yrs?

(Ideallly I want to find a 2019 Corolla...petrol engine..low mileage. In Ireland. If anyone spots one...give me a shout.)

😀
We had a Toyota Prius hybrid from 2005-2019. Had exactly the same problem as you with battery dying if not driven regularly... which we didn't. "Solved" the problem in the end by car sharing with neighbours who used it more than us (and kept it topped up with petrol).

My understanding is that there's no future for hybrids (or hydrogen for that matter). Their emissions are too high. After some point (maybe 2035, maybe earlier) all new cars will be electric.

Hydrogen makes sense in SF worlds where energy is "solved" by cheap, plentiful fusion. In an energy-constrained world, hydrogen makes little sense except for applications where electric is outright impossible.

First law of thermodynamics really kills it vs. battery power.

We had a Toyota Prius hybrid from 2005-2019. Had exactly the same problem as you with battery dying if not driven regularly... which we didn't. "Solved" the problem in the end by car sharing with neighbours who used it more than us (and kept it topped up with petrol).

My understanding is that there's no future for hybrids (or hydrogen for that matter). Their emissions are too high. After some point (maybe 2035, maybe earlier) all new cars will be electric.

I looked at a hybrid plug in electric the other day. I was told it would drive fine as just hybrid if it was not plugged in.
But on researching.. I discovered that best advice was to make sure to keep the plug in fully charged. So that's confusing and I am now moving back to looking at a second hand petrol engine VW Polo or Golf.
I have always wanted a Golf. So maybe this will be the time to change.

I am now moving back to looking at a second hand petrol engine VW Polo or Golf.

may be worth also looking at the skoda equivalents - i went for a skoda fabia (1.4 petrol) when previous car gave up before xmas - it's basically a vw polo with different trim / badges, and i've got no complaints about it 6 months in.

the skoda of the jokes is well and truly in the past.

No, he's serious, he only stopped once on the way down for a piss, but I insisted he removed his wet trousers before coming into my place. :thumbs:
Well I've just driven East Midlands to Bournemouth a tad under 190 miles and I needed 2 piss stops so I am even more dubious of his claim

Being serious, I've regularly done journeys of around 150 miles, without ever having to stop for a piss.

Got a second hand VW in the end.
It's surprisingly comfortable and has a lot of tech that I will need to learn about.
I would have loved a hybrid but I don't drive every day so that was out.
And a plug in ev was way too expensive.
I think this will work out well for the fortnightly drs visits and drives to my consultant's hospital in Cork. I can't take public transport for health reasons. So it will be nice to have a comfortable car for long trips.

Adaptive cruise is a godsend, if you have that installed. Blindspot monitoring is very useful, too. Most of the other tech... eh. I don't find the lanekeeping stuff great.
I have to figure out ACC. It seems to be switched off even after I tick that option on the display.
Not sure there's blindspot monitoring but I will check.
The manual is pretty big with very small print.. 😵‍💫

I have always wanted a Golf. So maybe this will be the time to change.
I've been driving VWs since the 90s I think(it was D reg iirc) I love them, reliable, easy to get bits for and rarely need anything other than tyres and shocks, but if you're getting petrol you shouldn't need the shocks like I do cos I is on diesel. I currently have a Scirocco but I'd go with a 5 door Golf for your needs tbh(when I bought the Scirocco I was mostly in the car on my own)

Damn, shoulda read the whole thread!

Sorry I have laughed but I've had Yodel for 5 yrs, I still don't know what all the buttons do, nor do I care tbh, the manual is mostly untouched because if I didn't need stuff in 30 yrs of driving I don't need it now!
:)

Adaptive cruise is a godsend, if you have that installed. Blindspot monitoring is very useful, too. Most of the other tech... eh. I don't find the lanekeeping stuff great.
My Lexus has automatic lane keeping on it and frankly it unnerves me. I might use it on the motorway in daylight but most of the time I leave it off.

Have you had any issues in second gear?
This evening I went for a short drive and the car jumped when I was in second gear. It reminded me of when I was learning to drive and going into first gear. But I was fully in second gear..

It was a bit odd. I pressed the brake and then it seemed to resolve. Hope it's not going to be a thing.

Last edited:
I've been driving VWs since the 90s I think(it was D reg iirc) I love them, reliable, easy to get bits for and rarely need anything other than tyres and shocks, but if you're getting petrol you shouldn't need the shocks like I do cos I is on diesel. I currently have a Scirocco but I'd go with a 5 door Golf for your needs tbh(when I bought the Scirocco I was mostly in the car on my own)

Damn, shoulda read the whole thread!

Sorry I have laughed but I've had Yodel for 5 yrs, I still don't know what all the buttons do, nor do I care tbh, the manual is mostly untouched because if I didn't need stuff in 30 yrs of driving I don't need it now!
:)

It's OK

I laughed too...when I saw the manual.
All I could think was what size must the mechanics' VW manual be!!!!!

if I didn't need stuff in 30 yrs of driving I don't need it now!
It makes little difference (okay the blindspot sensors are always a helpful addition to turning your head) most of the time. But on a long drive, particularly as we get older, the assistance tech can make you less exhausted at the end of it. We had to do 360 miles in a day to and from the holiday rental and I'd have been shattered if it were the old car. Just told it to keep a certain distance behind the car in front and stopped worrying about how fast I was going.

But yeah, just driving about town or short distances most of it is frivolous.

It makes little difference (okay the blindspot sensors are always a helpful addition to turning your head) most of the time. But on a long drive, particularly as we get older, the assistance tech can make you less exhausted at the end of it. We had to do 360 miles in a day to and from the holiday rental and I'd have been shattered if it were the old car. Just told it to keep a certain distance behind the car in front and stopped worrying about how fast I was going.

But yeah, just driving about town or short distances most of it is frivolous.

Last time I hired a car on holiday I kept forgetting to do simple things like put the hand break on or turn the lights on. :facepalm:

My car is 9 years old and not exactly stuffed with tech, but the base model small cars can have very little!

My Lexus has automatic lane keeping on it and frankly it unnerves me. I might use it on the motorway in daylight but most of the time I leave it off.
My lane "assist" sounds an alarm if I change lanes doing 40+ without indicating. I wish all cars had it. I've seen some terrible, close call lane changing in just the last two days which should never have been done with indicating yet alone without. The lane keeping stuff might at least encourage people to indicate.

My lane "assist" sounds an alarm if I change lanes doing 40+ without indicating. I wish all cars had it. I've seen some terrible, close call lane changing in just the last two days which should never have been done with indicating yet alone without. The lane keeping stuff might at least encourage people to indicate.
Mrs Q's Yaris works like that but the Lexus is active it will correct it for itself. It is a very eerie feeling when the car steers itself.

Mrs Q's Yaris works like that but the Lexus is active it will correct it for itself. It is a very eerie feeling when the car steers itself.
Yes it is very eerie when the car steers itself. It freaked me out the first day I drove the car.
I'm planning a drive today. Just to get used to all the tech and feel more comfortable about it.

Speaking of tech.
I tried phoning my sister who has an Irish first name, on the voice activated call function.
She was actually in the car with me and I just wanted to test it.
15 mins later we were both in knots laughing. The system does not understand our Irish names or accents. It was trying to call all sorts of places including a hotel in Canada... (It definitely was not a number on my phone contacts)

In the end I edited my sisters name on my phone to something it would recognise and find.

It would have been much quicker just using the steering wheel phone option. So I doubt I will be using the voice activated tech much...not wirh my Oirish accent.

It's highly configurable in ours, so if you try to depart lanes without signalling it gives you a little bleep and a nudge. But I've set it to not actively try and fight you past a nudge like it will do if you crank the settings up to full. I reckon on full settings you could let it drive itself on A roads and motorways, but I don't like the idea of that. Plus it gets angry at you if you're not holding the wheel.

Went for an 80km round-trip "spin" today. I wanted to get a good feel for the car. It's the most comfortable car I think I have ever driven. Really smooth. No issues. Went over speed bumps like they were jelly.
I am seriously impressed...
Volkswagen engineering does seem to be brilliant.

Last edited:
Toyota Yaris IMO because those Corollas from 2019 are still relatively expensive, even at 5 years old. Unless you find a higher mileage one. A lot of them are hybrids too.

Money well spent though IMO.

Toyota Yaris IMO because those Corollas from 2019 are still relatively expensive, even at 5 years old. Unless you find a higher mileage one. A lot of them are hybrids too.

Money well spent though IMO.
I just sold my Yaris. I loved it ...but it was not working for me and the 4 large adults I carry in it. It was not comfortable anymore on long drives to hospital. And I was exhausted after driving it for more than 2 hours.
So I went a bit mad and traded in for a second hand VW

I just sold my Yaris. I loved it ...but it was not working for me and the 4 large adults I carry in it. It was not comfortable anymore on long drives to hospital. And I was exhausted after driving it for more than 2 hours.
So I went a bit mad and traded in for a second hand VW
Ah cool just read your updates. Which VW did you go for? Sounds like a decent option. At least for a few years. Once the bills start stacking up I would get rid!

Ah cool Sounds like a decent option. At least for a few years. Once the bills start stacking up I would get
I hope to goodness there will not be any stacks of bills ... this has to last me for at least 8 years.

Last edited:
Speaking of tech.
I tried phoning my sister who has an Irish first name, on the voice activated call function.
She was actually in the car with me and I just wanted to test it.
15 mins later we were both in knots laughing. The system does not understand our Irish names or accents. It was trying to call all sorts of places including a hotel in Canada... (It definitely was not a number on my phone contacts)

In the end I edited my sisters name on my phone to something it would recognise and find.

It would have been much quicker just using the steering wheel phone option. So I doubt I will be using the voice activated tech much...not wirh my Oirish accent.
I earned a good wad of cash training up a voice recognition system for a Japanese company back in the 00's who had initially used US accented voice trainers, taken the kit to Jaguar in Coventry and found it didn't work. Being from the Midlands and living in Jp at the time it was pretty easy money although somewhat repetitive. The kit apparently went down a storm when the engineers took it back a few months later. You may be onto an earner.

Back
Top Bottom