Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread in praise of the private car!

I note Teuchter mentioned that he feels life is unfair to those who cannot drive and it made me wonder why they can't drive?

Surely in the course of your life you have encountered people with physical disabilities or any number of medical conditions that mean they are not able to drive, whether they want to or not? Do you not have elderly relatives who have suddenly lost their freedom because it's no longer safe for them to drive - perhaps due to problems with eyesight? Have you ever considered the possibility that you yourself could fall into one of these categories at any time?

Surely in the course of your life you have encountered people with physical disabilities or any number of medical conditions that mean they are not able to drive, whether they want to or not? Do you not have elderly relatives who have suddenly lost their freedom because it's no longer safe for them to drive - perhaps due to problems with eyesight? Have you ever considered the possibility that you yourself could fall into one of these categories at any time?
Good point, well made.

Happened to my grandad, he thought his eyesight had degenerated to the point where he was unsafe to drive, however, we packed him off to drive to the nearest castle and it turned out he was fine.

Some of you will have seen this story already in the Bandwidth thread, but it's too good not to share more widely. If this does not showcase the limitless potential for joy car ownership brings, I don't know what does :D

Some of you will have seen this story already in the Bandwidth thread, but it's too good not to share more widely. If this does not showcase the limitless potential for joy car ownership brings, I don't know what does :D

That is just so sad

A little less enamoured by private car use today, my left rear tyre was quite deflated and I found a screw in the side of it which means it is not repairable. Got to put the spare on in the morning, hope it won't be raining. Then I have to find somewhere to probably buy and fit 3 new tyres (the two fronts are almost at the limit now).

I am hoping I can get an independent place, my colleagues go to, where tracking is much less than places like Kwikfit.

eta it is a wood screw as far as I can make out. Who leaves wood screws in the road where they can get into people's tyres? Who? possibly carpenters or builders, sod them sod the lot of them!

Last edited:

I once decided to buy all the Sven Hassel novels , but it had to be only from second hand book shops , managed to get to 14 or so of the 17 before heading for Ebay :( I applaud his obsession.

Jesus, that man is even worse than danny la rouge with his hard shoulder fetish. :(

This story just proves that all car drivers are tragic individuals.

The company I work for is going full-tilt with the electrification trends of the automotive industry, they gave a whole presentation online about it to us. It was actually pretty interesting, and I'm inclined to think that will be the most likely direction of travel. There's a widespread recognition of the impact of burning fossil fuels, and electrification will offer many industries a route along which they can adapt, which will always be preferable to extinction.

It's the best kind of future for the car in my opinion. The anti-car weirdos will be disappointed that nobody else is interested in embracing their quixotic creed against an especially flexible form of transport, and the coal-rolling macho idiots will be left with a dwindling fleet of increasingly-irrelevant museum pieces.

A little less enamoured by private car use today, my left rear tyre was quite deflated and I found a screw in the side of it which means it is not repairable. Got to put the spare on in the morning, hope it won't be raining. Then I have to find somewhere to probably buy and fit 3 new tyres (the two fronts are almost at the limit now).

I am hoping I can get an independent place, my colleagues go to, where tracking is much less than places like Kwikfit.

eta it is a wood screw as far as I can make out. Who leaves wood screws in the road where they can get into people's tyres? Who? possibly carpenters or builders, sod them sod the lot of them!
Round my way there's various mobile fitters who come to you, they’re way cheaper than anywhere else, plus far more convenient....

Round my way there's various mobile fitters who come to you, they’re way cheaper than anywhere else, plus far more convenient....
Just looking at some of those, some expensive tyre prices but some cheap, I need tracking done on the front though so I think I will be going to a dealers. Thanks for the tip though, could use certainly.

News years eve or maybe Christmas we, we had the car loaded up to go to the in laws in Derby.
Short way there we noticed we had a puncture ( car did not come with a spare wheel). We called a few tyre places and
eventually found a mobile fitting service - yes we can do it for you, now, for £350 cash!
Probably a dodgy used tyre and no guarantees at that.

My Corsa got a new MOT last week. I had to pay £60 extra to have a rear brake imbalance resolved but no parts were needed. It amazes me how little mileage I am doing at the moment, just 4,500 in the last 12 months, it must be covid related, not so long ago I was doing 15kpa.

Mind you, I am not complaining, the reduced mileage means things are not wearing out so fast, swings and roundabouts.

My mileage has nose dived courtesy of the Plague ,when it was MOT'ed in March 2021 it had done 1500 miles since the last one whereas in March 2019 it had done 12,500 miles since the one before.

Back
Top Bottom