Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread in praise of the private car!

Really like the A4's, kids + horse-dog mean it is too small.

Odd how Audi are so far ahead of anything else though. BMW, Mercedes & Volvo are the closest competition, fucking miles behind in looks, performance & toys.

The Merc that was equivalent was a 6.2 petrol ffs.
I agree. Audis are the baddest motherfuckers. Therefore because we drive them we are the baddest motherfuckers. Maths, innit

Lights up exterior, interior, door step, etc

Bet yours don't look this cool at night, Hof :p

View attachment 89642

Like that. very much. Was offered light up shit when opening doors, but feel that after-sales stuff to make it look newer is wrong. Of course yours in crispy-new and its poodles-privates status is never in doubt.

How many TV's you got in the back?

Was discussing vehicles with a woman a couple of weeks ago. A new neighbour has one of those massive black pickup trucks with a roof on the pickup bit and dark tinted windows. As far as she was concerned anyone driving such a car was compensating for inadequacies in other departments :)

Was discussing vehicles with a woman a couple of weeks ago. A new neighbour has one of those massive black pickup trucks with a roof on the pickup bit and dark tinted windows. As far as she was concerned anyone driving such a car was compensating for inadequacies in other departments :)

I'm making up for the inadequacies in my online buddies.

I felt with teuchter's recent anti-car thread generating some interest I should start a thread entitled "In praise of the private car" only to find that I had in fact already started it some years previous.

Anyhow this thread can be an ongoing receptacle (if you want) for positive things about that wonder that is the private car.

For many people, living outside the metropolis, the private car is public transport!

A truly great invention, with continuing innovation, high levels of usability style and utility!

Maybe you haven't yet got your head around the concept of what public transport is, or ever had to rely on it?
Surely "public transport" is the transport mechanisms that transports the public!

In London, that can be - publicly owned or not - tube, buses, trains and taxis, and when I go there that is what I use, because a car is no use in London - but where I live, in a village, the general public get around in cars.

Surely "public transport" is the transport mechanisms that transports the public!

In London, that can be - publicly owned or not - tube, buses, trains and taxis, and when I go there that is what I use, because a car is no use in London - but where I live, in a village, the general public get around in cars.
Ok. You don't understand what it means.

.. what public transport is, or ever had to rely on it?
Actually I haven't really lived anywhere where public transport was adequate. I started getting around on a bicycle, then graduated to motorbikes and eventually a car. I did live in the midlands once where there was a bus that was convenient for Friday nights when I wanted a drink, that was good certainly.

eta and when I was a student I took the bus, couldn't afford a car and there was nowhere to park it anyhow.

Enlighten me?

imo public transport is a transport system intended to get the public to and from where they want to go.
In your village if a member of the public who doesn't own a car wants to go somewhere, how does your transport system facilitate this?

I live in a small Andalucían town. There are no buses. The nearest railway station is a 10 to 15 minutes drive away. There are taxis.

I love my car for many reasons. It isn't just a means of transport. Nor is transport its sole function. This is often forgotten by the anti car trolls.

I love my car for many reasons. It isn't just a means of transport. Nor is transport its sole function. This is often forgotten by the anti car trolls.

Believe me, we are well aware of it, it's impossible to ignore the obsessive nature of car-owners relationship with their cars. They always try to justify their behaviour with logic - "I need a car because I live in a small village in Spain etc etc" but it's clear that the car is much much more than that for them. It's analagous to guns for a section of US manhood. Technically there are (usually) logical reasons for owning them, but it's absolutely clear the major reasons are to do with the political, social, emotional and psychological symbolism of them.

Logically, it would be impossible for an intelligent person to believe there's a "war on motorists" in the UK, but many people still do.

Believe me, we are well aware of it, it's impossible to ignore the obsessive nature of car-owners relationship with their cars. They always try to justify their behaviour with logic - "I need a car because I live in a small village in Spain etc etc" but it's clear that the car is much much more than that for them. It's analagous to guns for a section of US manhood. Technically there are (usually) logical reasons for owning them, but it's absolutely clear the major reasons are to do with the political, social, emotional and psychological symbolism of them.

Logically, it would be impossible for an intelligent person to believe there's a "war on motorists" in the UK, but many people still do.
Even if I was unable to use my car I’d still own it.

I know how we can convince people to abandon the private car, let's be really smug and try to make them look thick through needless pedantry.
Is it really too much to ask of someone who wants to engage in this discussion that they understand the very basic concepts? Like what public transport is? It would be like stepping into a veganism debate announcing that beef is vegan because cows only eat grass, or something like that.

I've been comparing it to gun ownership for many years - people used to react to this as if it were completely ludicrous but I'm pleased to note that I now get some level of agreement on the analogy.

Back
Top Bottom