Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread in praise of the private car!

I think it might have been you who put me off the TT.

I think a RWD TT with the Haldex and front prop shafts removed would be a great car. The DTM TTs were RWD only,

2003_dtm_audi_abt_sportsline_tt_002-960x480.jpg

There's not just the one battery though I don't think. There are loads.
At the moment, yes, and most of the current EVs don't have hot-swappable batteries - a quite involved process to change a battery. But it could be standardised and made easy, if that were the way we wanted to go.

Street infrastructure would also be easy. Most of the supporting infrastructure's already there, for homes and streetlights and whatnot. The most difficult bit is figuring out how to charge customers for it, no pun intended, which is eminently solvable too. Probably the car and grid could negotiate, so all the user has to do is plug in anywhere.

My wife has had loads of Audis, they've all understeered like fuck when hoofing it.

You can dial the understeer out via suspension and adjustable geometry, at least you can on the RS models.

But yeah, standard audis do understeer, not as bad as most cars but refining supspension for comfortable road touring as most people require introduces understeer in FWD/AWD cars, same as you get oversteer in RWD cars.

no. a New Town. You wouldn't believe how the psychogeography of a place designed for cars can depress. H and fucking V laid out like a fascistic grid of fume-choked hatred and blood spattered chrome.

i must admit that the only time i've been to milton keynes - and i did so as a pedestrian and train user, it was rather a lot like entering a big game reserve. very much at the bottom of the food chain, very much in a world not built with me in mind.

Below is a good report on cars and roads etc, it also mentions the fact that public transport in seen as an 'inferior good' in economics terms..
I dunno, the new routmasters seem really posh to me, they should introuduce them on all routes.
Road congestion

Just to add to the understeer discussion, worst car I have ever driven for understeer is the Vauxhall Astra, even after 7 iterations of that model they are still woefully dangerous with understeer, pulling out at junctions in the wet was a downright nightmare with the car wanting to go straight ahead all the time.

I fucking LOVE my car!!! It's an okd Honda CRV that guzzles petrol and bezz around all over in it. Wouldn't be without it, especially now I have kids.

My Dad loved his CRV. Inexpensive repairs, and could take the half-mile unsurfaced access road to my parents' bungalow with equanimity.

"Any man (and women too presumably) who rides a bus to work after the age of 30 can count himself a failure in life."
My excuse is I have to have a car for work, I can't do my job without it.

"Any man (and women too presumably) who rides a bus to work after the age of 30 can count himself a failure in life."
My excuse is I have to have a car for work, I can't do my job without it.

Here's another quote from a Tory, in this case it's Thatcher

"Economics are the method the object is to change the soul" - in a rallying call to move policies away from collective societies to private ownership.

I prefere..

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."

H. G. Wells

Once you get those three sorted you'll probably need a triumvirate to effectively offset your emissions, so we'll add bi0boy to your group.
I just drove my car 40 miles in an irresponsibly aggressive way which has probably increased my emissions profile quite significantly. I feel honour-bound to try and mitigate this harm by pairing up with a suitably car-hating partner, too...

But don't fret - I'm alright Jack - like you, I make extensive use of private cars as I prioritise my convenience above all others, am selfish, myopic and in denial.
No one's in denial here, we agree with you. We're just don't care. And now we're offsetting our consumption against your frugality, everyone's a winner!

I'm pairing you with existentialist as well. If he keeps driving the way he describes above, you're going to have to plant some trees and save a whale.

Last edited:
No one's in denial here, we agree with you. We're just don't care. And now we're offsetting our consumption against your frugality, everyone's a winner!

I'm pairing you with existentialist as well. If he keeps driving the way he describes above, you're going to have to plant some trees and save a whale.
I don't usually drive like that, but I was late for a meeting, and we have people coming for dinner. Couple of shrubs and a porpoise should see me just fine. Though, obvs, I'll keep the thread updated so that my counterpart can tune his non-consumption accordingly.

Likewise, 2hats, if you can let me know if you've inadvertently saved a rainforest or anything, and I'll know to hoof it around the county a bit more to compensate :)

Here's another quote from a Tory, in this case it's Thatcher

"Economics are the method the object is to change the soul" - in a rallying call to move policies away from collective societies to private ownership.

I prefere..

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."

H. G. Wells
I prefer, "every time I see an Alfa Romeo, I tip my hat" - Henry Ford.

So here's a question. I get a lot of stick from some fucking hippy at work who says I'm damaging the planet more with my 25 year old, immaculately-maintained car than if I bought a new, more 'environmentally friendly' one every 5 years. I say he's talking bollocks, because of the impact of manufacture and disposal - is he?

when brother murders brother for a handful of maize and the major structural underpinnings fall apart due to peak oil and people start drinking the blood of their enemies during conflicts over water rights I hope you bastards can look little child-soldier jonny in his terrifyingly blank 1000 yard stare eyes as he strips and oils his AK. 'I needed to get to work' you'll tell the illiterate child. 'There was no way back from tescos on the bus' you'll bleat. And the child will just nod grimly as he re assembles the rifle. He knows of terrible neccesity. The whole generation does. Thats the worst of it, as you rhuemy eyed old man spit out the justifications. You're already forgiven. But its too late now.

Last edited:
So here's a question. I get a lot of stick from some fucking hippy at work who says I'm damaging the planet more with my 25 year old, immaculately-maintained car than if I bought a new, more 'environmentally friendly' one every 5 years. I say he's talking bollocks, because of the impact of manufacture and disposal - is he?
There must be some numbers somewhere, but I'd imagine he is talking bollocks, yes. Even recycling steel (especially to the standard required for car manufacture) must involve a hell of a lot of energy.

Here we are: (from Manufacturing a car creates as much carbon as driving it):

6 tonnes CO2e: Citroen C1, basic spec
17 tonnes CO2e: Ford Mondeo, medium spec
35 tonnes CO2e: Land Rover Discovery, top of the range

The C1 chucks out 95g/km, so its manufacture is equivalent to 60,000 miles of driving.

Back
Top Bottom