Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

Printing their own stickers now, cos it makes it so real.

Go to Morrisons - I picked up plenty of discounts on the fruit and veg this morning.

Is this guy suggesting that the BBC are deliberately not mentioning Brexit as a reason for the national shortage of timber because they want to go along with the government line of everything Brexit-related being fine?

And if so, how is this claim any more ludicrous than some of the bollocks loose meat has been rightly mocked for?

Is this guy suggesting that the BBC are deliberately not mentioning Brexit as a reason for the national shortage of timber because they want to go along with the government line of everything Brexit-related being fine?

And if so, how is this claim any more ludicrous than some of the bollocks loose meat has been rightly mocked for?
I'm not keen on this censorship theory, but you'd agree that Brexit is certainly contributing to the shortage, yes?

I'm not keen on this censorship theory, but you'd agree that Brexit is certainly contributing to the shortage, yes?
My main point is about the suggestion that the BBC is deliberately attempting to hide the truth.

I haven't read the article and can't find it on the BBC website now, so I'm not going to comment on the substance of the story on the basis of pure speculation, which is what it would be if I said something now.

Does anyone have a link to the story on the BBC or anywhere else?

ETA I think this is the story

Timber shortage due to 'unprecedented' post-lockdown demand

My main point is about the suggestion that the BBC is deliberately attempting to hide the truth.

I haven't read the article and can't find it on the BBC website now, so I'm not going to comment on the substance of the story on the basis of pure speculation, which is what it would be if I said something now.

Does anyone have a link to the story on the BBC or anywhere else?

Having now found and read the article, it suggests that

Sweden, which supplies almost half of the structural wood used in the UK, has recorded its lowest stock levels for 20 years.

There also appear to be other global supply problems and

post-lockdown construction and DIY projects creat(ing) huge demand

So while I wouldn't dismiss out of hand the idea that Brexit might be making things worse, I think there's enough other reasons that we can't just assume that Brexit is a factor, unless anyone has any specific evidence to demonstrate that.

So while I wouldn't dismiss out of hand the idea that Brexit might be making things worse, I think there's enough other reasons that we can't just assume that Brexit is a factor, unless anyone has any specific evidence to demonstrate that.
There's no 'might' about it according to these industry websites:

The BBC has certainly been accused in the past of presenting facts in a certain way that suit a government's agenda.
It's also been accused of being a bastion of liberal leftydom.

I tend to view accusations of either sort from either side with a bit of skepticism.

So do you have any specific evidence that Brexit is a factor in the current timber shortages?

There's no 'might' about it according to these industry websites:

It looks like you're doing your usual thing of posting links without pointing out specifically which bits you think back up your argument.

If you can't be bothered to be more specific, I really can't be bothered to respond.

It looks like you're doing your usual thing of posting links without pointing out specifically which bits you think back up your argument.

If you can't be bothered to be more specific, I really can't be bothered to respond.
Your denial has just gone supernova.

Having now found and read the article, it suggests that

There also appear to be other global supply problems and

I posted this in January:

"How about vital supplies for the Utilities industry? In my Inbox just now.....

"Dear Customer,

We are currently forced to temporarily suspend all Land Transport services from continental Europe to the UK with immediate effect.
The arrangements agreed under the Brexit deal have meant enormous bureaucratic regulations particularly for recipients in the UK, which they are currently unable to handle in a legally compliant manner. Most of the recipients (Importers or Consignee’s) in the UK have never dealt with customs procedures before and need further guidance on the new regulations (e.g. the confirmation of the correct ten-digit commodity codes, providing Power of Attorney).
Therefore, we need to advise you to postpone all shipments until further notice. Furthermore, would you also please ensure that all necessary paperwork for customs i.e. export and import documentation, is in place for your shipments, as well as at the consignee i.e. all direct representation letters and HMRC information to allow for a smooth customs clearance.
We will do our utmost to support both origin and destination; shipper, and recipients and continue with our service as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact your local ****** team for support and further information.

Your***** team"

My direct personal experience in working at senior director level in the Utilities Industry on programmes worth hundred of million of pounds, is that material supply issues as a direct result of Brexit have seen an unprecedented rise in material costs and in the some, not isolated, cases, delays to vital projects, delays which will cost many hundreds of millions more.

But we're in the middle of a national crisis of ... checks notes ... 100K shortfall of drivers!!! At least 100K drivers. Could be many many more. At least. How many does it say on the stickers ????

because discounts never happened for various reasons before Brexit
Brexit has been a real boon for us Brits hasn't it? We've got pay rises in a couple of sectors, discounts on food in some supermarkets, jobs created in some areas and we've even got vaccines. All amazing brand new things that never happened while we were under the jack boot of Brussels.

I posted this in January:

"How about vital supplies for the Utilities industry? In my Inbox just now.....

"Dear Customer,

We are currently forced to temporarily suspend all Land Transport services from continental Europe to the UK with immediate effect.
The arrangements agreed under the Brexit deal have meant enormous bureaucratic regulations particularly for recipients in the UK, which they are currently unable to handle in a legally compliant manner. Most of the recipients (Importers or Consignee’s) in the UK have never dealt with customs procedures before and need further guidance on the new regulations (e.g. the confirmation of the correct ten-digit commodity codes, providing Power of Attorney).
Therefore, we need to advise you to postpone all shipments until further notice. Furthermore, would you also please ensure that all necessary paperwork for customs i.e. export and import documentation, is in place for your shipments, as well as at the consignee i.e. all direct representation letters and HMRC information to allow for a smooth customs clearance.
We will do our utmost to support both origin and destination; shipper, and recipients and continue with our service as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact your local ****** team for support and further information.

Your***** team"

My direct personal experience in working at senior director level in the Utilities Industry on programmes worth hundred of million of pounds, is that material supply issues as a direct result of Brexit have seen an unprecedented rise in material costs and in the some, not isolated, cases, delays to vital projects, delays which will cost many hundreds of millions more.
Have they resumed since January or are they still suspended ?

Back
Top Bottom