Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

will do. Anytime soon in the next 40 - 50 years soon as i observe that my quality of life has been improved by the brexit i shall report back immediately. I think i'll emigrate beforehand though tbh, before the fruits fully become apparent.

One supermarket offered people a couple of quid more per hour to drive their lorries, that's a benefit. Now we're free from the shackles of Europe we can do things like form unions, collectively bargain, and get pay rises, things never before seen on these islands.

Reactions: Ax^
One supermarket offered people a couple of quid more per hour to drive their lorries, that's a benefit. Now we're free from the shackles of Europe we can do things like form unions, collectively bargain, and get pay rises, things never before seen on these islands.
In all fairness, the EU was not a paragon of workers rights. Particularly not the right to collectively bargain, which it systematically worked against in order to secure its four freedoms. Just because this country is a neoliberal hellscape for trade unions doesn't mean that the EU is any better.

You'll be pleased to know that Unite drivers at Tesco’s Booker wholesale division have just got a £5-an-hour pay rise and there are plans for a stay ay home day by some 3000 drivers on August 23rd.

In all fairness, the EU was not a paragon of workers rights. Particularly not the right to collectively bargain, which it systematically worked against in order to secure its four freedoms. Just because this country is a neoliberal hellscape for trade unions doesn't mean that the EU is any better.
I'd be interested in more on how the EU systematically worked against collective bargaining rights. I'm not saying it isn't true, but it is a relative question, and when you look at the massive gap between the UK and certain EU countries in terms of the proportion of workplaces covered by CB, it does seem a counterintuitive statement.

I didn't say it was any better but I'm still yet to see this sudden new surge of collective bargaining and huge pay rises across the board. Particularly when large sections of the working class just handed a massive majority to a party that opposes these interests.

Isn't the more important question as to why these wage rises for drivers, and in the hospitality industry have happened?
That's a fair point, and one that was addressed in the R4 'Briefing Room' programme I linked to in the other Brexit thread.

But, if we are going to argue the merits of withdrawal on the utilitarian basis of the benefits to working people from a reform of our trading status, then it's only reasonable to explore the potential/actual/emerging disbenefits resulting from the withdrawal from the political union.

One of the enduring tragedies of Brexit discussion is the almost religious faith that the respective sides had/have the ability of either outcome to further the interests of working people in the UK, and the tendency for that to blinker the wider, ongoing, secular, structural undermining of the social contract and living standards of our class by neoliberal capital and their state actors.

No-one involved in the ideological construct that resulted in withdrawal had any intention of reversing the regressive trajectory of the last 45 years, and any temporary sectoral gains are likely to be just that, until capital can once again rig the labour market in its favour.

Isn't the more important question as to why these wage rises for drivers, and in the hospitality industry have happened?

Could also ask why wage growth in Britain lagged so far behind almost every other EU country in the decade before Brexit despite low unemployment - and since wage rises have failed to lure back hundreds of thousands of EU citizens with settled status who left during COVID, whether it is continuing to do so.

oecdwages.png

People in hospitality now earn a bit more but still less than hospitality workers working in countries that remain in the EU. Woo hoo.

Any wage rises in low income jobs are always met with benefits cuts further down the line. In many cases this leaves workers worse off than if the pay rise hadn't happened in the first place.

Last edited:
A British border imposed on the people of Ireland.

Absolutely.
However the referendum was about the UK leaving the EU.
A United Ireland was not specified on the ballot paper.
Theresa May had a bad deal semi arranged that tried to deal with the absurdity of the British imposed border.
What seems to be the arrangement now is a dangerous mess.
I believe those who voted Brexit if the border entered their thoughts at the time or subsequently now hope to enact the ‘hope the problem melts away/turn a blind eye solution.
It won’t work.

Back
Top Bottom