Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

Half (most?) of these pics on Twitter showing empty UK shelves ARE from last year!
People have dated & named their location. Why would you use old photos? I am sure that the shelves will be re-stocked soon but there are empty shelves & a lot of items unavailable on on=line shopping sites.

This stupid argument has been going on for ages! There are empty shelves. oh no there aren't you're lying / imagining things.
I don't watch tv news but have they said nothing about it at all in order to prevent panic buying?

There are very consistently empty shelves in my local supermarkets have been for some weeks & i'm not used to seeing that so its a bit unsettling but I get why its happening hope it gets sorted & in the meantime i will survive.

Pretending its just not happening just cos you personally live in Godalming or Portugal or something is proper nuts tho, meat face level nuts.

Last edited:
People have dated & named their location. Why would you use old photos? I am sure that the shelves will be re-stocked soon but there are empty shelves & a lot of items unavailable on on=line shopping sites.

I think the comedy value arises from those trying to draw some conclusions about Brexit as a result of those photographs or from remainers on Twitter appealing to followers to send them pictures of empty shelves (an odd fetish).

I fully expect shortages to be worse next week. Tesco’s biggest distributor has got most drivers sat at home self isolating: There is a Labour shortage. Firms refuse to pay the new rate for the job. Oh, and we are in the middle of the worst pandemic in living memory. The miracle - thanks to the thicko Brexit voting workers who work on the roads, in the distribution centres, labouring on farms, the food processing workers and in the supermarkets - is the absolute range and quality of food still available and which has been since March 2020

I think the comedy value arises from those trying to draw some conclusions about Brexit as a result of those photographs or from remainers on Twitter appealing to followers to send them pictures of empty shelves (an odd fetish).

I fully expect shortages to be worse next week. Tesco’s biggest distributor has got most drivers sat at home self isolating: There is a Labour shortage. Firms refuse to pay the new rate for the job.
Far too sensible explanation for some of the more excitable posters on here

thanks
View attachment 279813

Maybe that is why our shelves are full round here..?

The spatial unevenness will directly correlate to staffing levels, covid app pings, covid cases and the associated situation within the respective food distributors which all vary across the UK and the different chains.

Sadly remainers, it’ll be fuck all to do with a vote in 2016.

Mind you, if it gets bad workers might decide to deliver to leave voting districts first…bar overpriced cheese and quinoa that is

Last edited:
thanks

The spatial unevenness will directly correlate to staffing levels, covid app pings, covid cases and the associated situation within the respective food distributors which all vary across the UK and the different chains.

Sadly remainers, it’ll be fuck all to do with a vote in 2016.

Mind you, if it gets bad workers might decide to deliver to leave voting districts first…bar overpriced cheese and quinoa that is
lol. The lorry drivers shortage has absolutely nothing to do with brexit its 100% all those romanians getting pinged by the ap.

lol. The lorry drivers shortage has absolutely nothing to do with brexit its 100% all those romanians getting pinged by the ap.
The loss of lorry drivers due to Brexit is supposedly 2-3% of the overall workforce. Which isn't nothing, but it would seem odd that the industry managed to cope for six months and then suddenly it started to be a problem, without something else arising.

The loss of lorry drivers due to Brexit is supposedly 2-3% of the overall workforce. Which isn't nothing, but it would seem odd that the industry managed to cope for six months and then suddenly it started to be a problem, without something else arising.
really? Where's that 3% from? 97% of lorry drivers in the UK were brits all along?
All those ones that 'scuffled' with police at dover cos they were desperate to leave and go home for x mas were the 3%.

The sweet sound of Bimble’s chips being pissed on.

Weird that he doesn't even mention anything to do with the problem being because of people temporarily having to stay off work cos of the virus, just goes on about how the government is going to help recruit loads more drivers, a post-brexit opportunity.

Weird that he doesn't even mention anything to do with the problem being because of people temprararily having to stay off work cos of the virus, just goes on about how the government is going to help recruit loads more drivers.

Not really. It’s possible to have a long term problem (recruitment, bosses not keeping up with the new rate for the job) and then being exacerbated by short term crises posed by the pandemic

It is BOTH its not all covid and its not all brexit. But i really dont believe that European drivers were only 10% of the drivers bringing us our food, which mostly comes from europe.
This seems ok, i didnt get more than halfway though.

i really dont believe that European drivers were only 10% of the drivers bringing us our food, which mostly comes from europe.
10% of the UK workforce (think the actual figure might be slightly less). Drivers bringing food from the EU will work in EU countries for EU haulage firms, which is another matter. They're not the reason for food shortages, and none of them are known to have decided to move to another country because of Brexit.

In an informal poll of large truck/trailer drivers who've got stuck after following their satnav in the narrow Cornish roads near me over the last few months I'd say around 25% were European, the other 75% from up country.

I'm more than happy to highlight the endless failings of Brexit but I would have thought that those empty shelves are as much to do with the workforce having to self isolate. Several pubs/businesses near me have had to close temporarily for that reason.

Yep, I'm seeing a lot of pictures of empty shelves etc. being shared on Facebook etc. but it's still way to early to unpick the effects of Brexit from the effects of COVID on food distribution - same with food price rises, which seem to be happening in the EU at the same rate as elsewhere.

Might be another year or two before the effect of Brexit can be judged from the price, availability etc. of food relative to the EU - and from whether wage rises in the UK keep pace with the ones in the EU - but by then, it might be hard to separate the effect of Brexit on food prices from the effect of the world's escalating climate disasters.

The miracle - thanks to the thicko Brexit voting workers who work on the roads, in the distribution centres, labouring on farms, the food processing workers and in the supermarkets - is the absolute range and quality of food still available and which has been since March 2020

What's with the whole"thicko" epithet?

Back
Top Bottom